Ivan Rakitić

Bucky

Penya Member
I love him, he's a big part of our 5 clean sheets, and best of all he's not afraid to shoot and play direct.

My thoughts exactly. When I heard we were signing him I knew he was going to be class, and the right signing for us to fit into the team. Great feeling with the games so far too as it's looking like it's paying off.

Jumped out my seat when he unleashed that rocket into the net!

More of the same please Rakitic :hooray::barca scarf:

Antimadridista1

So, Rakitic who played the entire season at Sevilla as an offensive midfielder, is playing for us as a right back/midfielder.
I love the player, but his positioning is quite worrying in my opinion. Lucho isn't using him well.

Darko

We need to utilize his trough balls more, not have him on the right side of midfield covering for one of our RBs(who, I think everybody agrees, aren't quite world class).

Stric

Rakitić IS an offensive midfielder, and using him in any other position will only limit his skills. He's proven to be a good CM so far, but he would be even better as an AM.

footyfan

Calma, calma
He was really bad today, IMO. One of the main reasons we didn't get our passing game going.

Agreed. His long passing looked really poor. He's great at getting back to help out the defence during counters, Barca hasn't had that in 3-4 years.

F

Flavia

I think he should had been rested. He had problems right after the levante game.

barcanuck

Should of been rested yes, but with Rafinha injured at the wrong time (again) and Xavi being 35 only Roberto is the option and that's a big meh.

B

Beetle

Actually Rakitic played as a part of the double pivot until christmas last season and still managed to keep class in his perform and his scoring stats were great too. He's one of the most versatil players in terms of adapting to different styles of play. But I'd agree that Lucho is using Rakitic mostly as an engine and more defensively to cover up for Alves, which prevents him from making late runs or hovering around the box. His most productive game and the team's too was against Athletic club when Montoya was played, who didn't make many attacking runs.

Inugami

Rakitić IS an offensive midfielder, and using him in any other position will only limit his skills. He's proven to be a good CM so far, but he would be even better as an AM.

I don't think the position exists in out formation. There's only false 9 of Messi and 2 CMF and a DMF for Rakitic to play in and up until now I think he's been doing brilliantly, He circulates the ball, has some chances to provide assist, to blast the ball outside of the box, cover the midfield, cover the back. That's all his potential and I'd say he play all his trump card under Enrique to the extend we could call it "the best of Rakitic"

Stric

I don't think the position exists in out formation. There's only false 9 of Messi and 2 CMF and a DMF for Rakitic to play in and up until now I think he's been doing brilliantly, He circulates the ball, has some chances to provide assist, to blast the ball outside of the box, cover the midfield, cover the back. That's all his potential and I'd say he play all his trump card under Enrique to the extend we could call it "the best of Rakitic"

I never said it existed in our formation, I just said he would be even better as an AM, in general. Because that's what he is by default and that's where he shines, as an AM in a 4-2-3-1. Just like Cesc. His entire career took a huge right turn once he was pushed forward into the attacking midfield after Kanoute left. There's a reason why he suddenly became Sevilla's hero after almost being sold only a year or two earlier. And for Croatia his best performances have also come in more attacking roles. And while he's been great so far in the Xavi role, he's still being shackled by having to cover for Alves a lot of the time, and playing more defensively than he normally would have. He still has more to offer, but he can't in this system.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Byc7uDzIgAAxUFh.png:large

Don't want to hijack the topic, but I was disheartened to not see Rikitic on this list. Don't get me wrong, I love the Rocket. Defensively he is superb, offensively I think he needs to be going forward more. Not sure if it is Lucho's tactics or something.

Home of Barca Fans