Jack Wilshere

W

Wilshere

I don't think his red card is something to worry about i mean it has happened to all youngsters of tday ye like muniesa got his red card in his first match and busquets got a red card against real madrid in a el clasico.

brilliant for arsenal in the future.

C

Carefree

Sorry but what has McEachran done to justify being called as talented as Wilshere? He's done well for the reserves and come on a few times for Chelsea's first team whilst Wilshere has dominated the midfield in PL and CL games. There's no comparison. Unless McEachran actually starts games and plays at the level Wilshere has then you can make a statement like that.

Dominated? Behave. He's done extremely well but he's swiftly turning into Steven Gerrard numero 2, who apparently can't do no wrong. Josh McEachran looks the classier player to me. Ask any Chelsea fan, when he's played for us, he's looked the most composed on the ball in the side. He's just over a year younger than Wilshere, who was palmed off to Bolton for a season. We've retained McEachran and quite frankly, i'd have him in the side right now ahead of £18m Ramires.

He was our most important player in the 2010 Youth winning cup team and easily the most impressive of the bunch in England's only ever U17 European Cup winning side. The difference between him not playing the same games for us as Wilshere does for Arsenal is the simple fact that our squad is FAR superior to Arsenals. If the lad were here, do you reckon he'd be in the side ahead of Essien, Lampard and Mikel? Thought not.

Jeez, Wilshere is nothing like Joe Cole! They're both English, little and a bit special looking but that's where the comparison ends. Cole is a winger but Wilshere is a central midfielder. Wilshere isn't like any player who plays midfield at the moment, he's unique. Cesc is probably the best comparison.

Are you on another wind up? He's every bit the same player Joe Cole was only quite a bit better. Cole was moved to the wide position at Chelsea - he never was at West Ham and is still regarded as an attacking midfielder. Wilshere isn't unique, and he's absolutely nothing like Fabregas. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

It's not knee-jerk at all. Did you attend away matches against Bolton and Blackburn in 05/06 when Fabregas went missing because he couldn't play his game against those type of teams? Where you there when Cesc didn't track back and got bullied off the ball? Cesc was awesome at 18 but Wilshere is tougher and works harder for the team. The loan spell at Bolton has pushed him further ahead. All I'm going to say is that i've never seen Fabregas have as good a game against Chelsea as Wilshere did at S.B this season. Even Fabregas says he thinks Wilshere was better than him!

Of course it's knee-jerk. He's playing out of his skin at the moment. In 10 or so appearances he's contributed to about 10 goals, and we're all guilty of doing it. At the same age, Fabregas was dominating the likes of Madrid and Juventus (Including Vieira in his pomp). Wilshere hasn't dominated anyone near that sort of level, and neither was he as good as you seemingly think against us. Fabregas and Walcott have made plenty of performances like that, but inevitably they've been bullied in midfield by our powerhouses. For all the possession Arsenal have against Man Utd and Chelsea, they do nothing with it, and it was the same case against us.

Really, i'm struggling to think how anyone can make a debate between the two. Fabregas was a truely special player at that age, that was apparent when he was just 16. Wilshere, being English, is simply caught in the media whirlwind cause we've finally produced a player with that continental class about him. Better than Cole? Yes, better than Fabregas? Not... a... chance.

S

SuperSamirNasri8

Don't take this as me being ignorant here, but that was rubbish from start to finish.

Joe Cole was an attacking midfielder at West Ham who was forced out wide at Chelsea. It was only under Mourinho's guidance that he cut out the tricks, instilled a bit of discipline in him and became more of a team player. He wasn't getting in the midfield with Lampard, Makelele and Essien/Tiago/Ballack so the only other option for him was out wide. How many times did you hear other fans saying 'but his best position is in the centre'? In fact, it's been that way for England and for Liverpool!!!

Wilshere is the exact same, though less flash and more end product (and a better footballing brain). He's also starting for Arsenal largely cause they lack a genuine world class midfield and an injury rigged side. With a fully fit team, he'll be benched again with Arshavin, van Persie & Walcott leading the attack with a midfield of Fabregas, Nasri and Song behind them.

I'm going to ignore you ever said Wilshere can defend as well. He's very Paul Scholes like in that regard. If refs had a bit more bottled, he'd have had at least 5 red cards for tackles over the past year and a half. I remember a particularly nasty one on his England debut too. Give it time and he'll get the odd patronising chuckle from the commentator about how Scholes like he is defensively.

Well let me also not be 'ignorant' here but you are taking without watching Arsenal week in week out. Lets start with Joe Cole comparsion again. You said he was an attacking midfielder well Jack has so far played there in a total of ONE game. That was away to Partizan. Even against Chelsea it was Diaby that was the most forward midfielder. Most of his game has been as a deep lying playmaker. Also yes he does have a defensive side. Infact this season we have seen Alex Song bombing forward and Jack staying back and watching for midfield runners. Also Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas have never ever played in the same midfield. They offer no balance since both are too attacking. Wilshere has dumped Denilson to the bench. So its probaly between him and Diaby for a starting spot. Joe Cole never dropped back and controlled games from deep. So its a false and incorrect comparison.

Bergkamp10

Dominated? Behave. He's done extremely well but he's swiftly turning into Steven Gerrard numero 2, who apparently can't do no wrong. Josh McEachran looks the classier player to me. Ask any Chelsea fan, when he's played for us, he's looked the most composed on the ball in the side. He's just over a year younger than Wilshere, who was palmed off to Bolton for a season. We've retained McEachran and quite frankly, i'd have him in the side right now ahead of £18m Ramires.

He was our most important player in the 2010 Youth winning cup team and easily the most impressive of the bunch in England's only ever U17 European Cup winning side. The difference between him not playing the same games for us as Wilshere does for Arsenal is the simple fact that our squad is FAR superior to Arsenals. If the lad were here, do you reckon he'd be in the side ahead of Essien, Lampard and Mikel? Thought not.

McEachran has come off the bench a few times and done well and suddenly he's more talented than Wilshere? Lets see if he can look 'more classy' when he has to actually start a game against a team that will try to kick him to the shreds. It's not hard to look classy coming on in extra time against Newcastle's second string in the Carling cup. Shame he wasn't as composed when he got mugged by Reo-Coker and nearly cost Chelsea against Villa.
I guess you didn't see Jack dominate Birmingham, Spurs, Braga and Shaktar then and play well in the rest of the games. Jack was also important in our 2009 Youth winning cup team but never played much for U17 as he was promoted into the U21's straight away.

Are you on another wind up? He's every bit the same player Joe Cole was only quite a bit better. Cole was moved to the wide position at Chelsea - he never was at West Ham and is still regarded as an attacking midfielder. Wilshere isn't unique, and he's absolutely nothing like Fabregas. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Wilshere's is a central midfielder, Cole isn't and never has been. J.Cole flittered in and out of games whilst Jack runs them. There nothing alike. Jack can't play on the wing. I suppose he's like Paul Scholes, do you think Scholes and Cole are similar?

Of course it's knee-jerk. He's playing out of his skin at the moment. In 10 or so appearances he's contributed to about 10 goals, and we're all guilty of doing it. At the same age, Fabregas was dominating the likes of Madrid and Juventus (Including Vieira in his pomp). Wilshere hasn't dominated anyone near that sort of level, and neither was he as good as you seemingly think against us. Fabregas and Walcott have made plenty of performances like that, but inevitably they've been bullied in midfield by our powerhouses. For all the possession Arsenal have against Man Utd and Chelsea, they do nothing with it, and it was the same case against us.

Vieira was not in his pomp! His last great season for 03-04. Cesc was excellent against those teams but Wilshere hasn't had a chance to play against them yet. Maybe it's premature to say Jack > Cesc at 18 but Jack can only get better and has started this season better than Fabregas started 05/06. He also playing in a much less experienced team. Let's not forget, Cesc has Thierry Henry infront of him and world cup winner Gilberto beside him. Jack was also excellent for Bolton and was one of the reasons they stayed up. Wilshere was our best player by a mile against Chelsea, everything came through him for us. He was excellent considering he's just 18.

Trequartista

The good
Alex Song:
-Josh McEachran is a superb talent,from what I have seen from him with Chelsea and Englan U-17 he is at least as talented as Wilshire,saying that he proved nothing makes Nosense,Wilshire found himself in a team depending on youngesters,in a midfield containing Abu Diaby and Alex Song(not you),Josh found himself in a club producing one youngester in 10 years,in a midfield of Essien-Lampard and he is the youngest member in a squad barely depending on youngestersI dont say that Wilshire is bad,he is superb,probably the future of England with Josh,he controls the midfield in a very special way but if you say that the comparisons between a player who only played a few good matches with Chelsea reserves and a player who played well against Chelsea then a comparison between Cesc and Wilshire doesnt make any more sense,what about Thiago Alcantara who is 19(Josh is 2 years younger,Wilshire is one year younger)and he is uyet to feature with the first team,he is at least as good as both but he found himself behind Iniesta and Xavi and Keita,its too early to see who will be the best from the trio,I think that one of them will be better than all of them but if he doenst become better then I wont be surprised at all

Bergkamp10

It doesn't matter how Wilshere found himself in the first team, he's been excellent against good teams. McEachran has come on off the bench a couple of times and played for well for England's youth team and the reserves. To say McEachran is as talented when he's not proved himself in the way that Wilshere has is silly. Until McEachran finds actually starts games and controls the midfield against good teams then there is no comparison. Maybe McEachran will be as good, maybe he'll be better but to compare them now when one has only made a few sub appearances at the highest level while the other is controlling games and as a result being picked for their senior side is ridiculous.

I don't even see why carefree had to even mention McEachran in a thread about Jack Wilshere. If he wants to say how great McEchran is then he has his own thread.

The comparison between Cesc and Wilshere was their starts at the beginning of their first full season at 18 which is comparable.

Bergkamp10

Ok but Noone on earth can say who is the most talented one from the Trio,yes Thiago is in the debate

I know nothing about Thiago and have never seen him play so I can't make a judgement on him. I don't see why Wilshere has to be compared to other players. He's his own person and frankly, I doubt any Arsenal fan gives a toss about McEachran and Thiago.

T

The Horse

Dominated? Behave. He's done extremely well but he's swiftly turning into Steven Gerrard numero 2, who apparently can't do no wrong. Josh McEachran looks the classier player to me. Ask any Chelsea fan, when he's played for us, he's looked the most composed on the ball in the side. He's just over a year younger than Wilshere, who was palmed off to Bolton for a season. We've retained McEachran and quite frankly, i'd have him in the side right now ahead of £18m Ramires..

Absolute bullshit mate and you know it. You feel the need to boost McEachran's reputation by putting a downer on and taking cheap shots at Wilshere's. Wilshere, along with P.Coutinho, is right now the best u-20 player in the world playing at the highest level by a country mile. He's turning in performances in week in week out, I don't see McEachran doing that. From 13 appearances this season, Jack has 1 goal and 6 assists at the age of 18..what about McEachran? In fact if McEachran is as good as you so claim, why isn't he starting? He nearly cocked up against Villa the other day dallying on the ball for too long; I'm not going to use that as ammunition to disprove your argument that he's more composed, because he's a young lad and he'll learn from it. Wilshere is keeping out Denilson (a mainstay in our midfield in the last few seasons, a guy who played 38 games in a row a few seasons back). Granted you have a stronger squad than ours, but you've just shot your own argument in the foot there, surely the chances of him making a breakthrough at Chelsea (with the purchase of Ramires, and the return of Lampard from injury) are pretty much REMOTE compared to Wilshere's chances at Arsenal. You're questioning a man who has a history of bring through young players throughout his career (including your very own Anelka and Cashley) when you say we palmed off Wilshere, though by my reckoning McEachran will have to find a new club in the next few years if he doesn't get a chance at Chelsea; What are you gonna do, wheel him out along with the other French lad when they are 22/23 for little sub appearances or send them out on loan while Essien & co are still the driving force in your midfield. You're record in bringing through young players is terrible (ala Sinclair, Mancienne, Sahar and all the other jokers), I wouldn't be suprised. From the little I've seen (I don't claim to be some sort of expert on him like you claim to be on Wilshere, on the other hand I've seen Wilshere playing in our under-16's at Hale End and followed his progress all the way to the first team) McEachran is talented, I'm not denying it, far from it. I think a more apt comparison for McEachran would be with our young midfielder, Aneke. I'd love to see the lad along with Wilshere in future England squads and I reckon they'll be class together. Can't see him ousting anyone from that Chelsea midfield anytime soon though (like you claim, you have a stronger squad and that might just be McEachran's downfall sadly enough).

You say Wilshere is more akin Joe Cole. Nonsense yet again. Joe Cole at the age of 18 was a trick merchant, he couldn't run midfields from deep the way Wilshere is doing now. Wilshere could play across the midfield and as a trequartista. Cole cannot. Wilshere is a player in the Scholes/Iniesta/Brady hybrid if the last few weeks have proved anything. If you're gonna comment on a player, make sure you watch him enough to validate your reasoning. 'Playing out of his skin' - he's delivering on potential, something your rent boy fans probably aren't familar with since young players are out of the door the moment they come in. You sound very bitter. If you wanna eulogise about McEachran or whoever, I'm sure they've got their own thread on here somewhere. We don't give a sh**.

Last edited:
T

The Horse

Took the bait? I don't know why people are bothering to compare people like McEachran and Thiago with Wilshere, he's quite clearly shown that he's a step up from those two based on performances alone. He's entered a new level (a level where he is delivering on potential), and thus doesn't need to be compared to those two. Come back and compare them with him when they are putting in performances at the highest level like he is.

Last edited:

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
So now you claim that Thiago is worse to Wilshere just because he doesn't play week in week out in the first team?

:lol:

T

The Horse

Well I don't see him ousting Xavi or Iniesta for that matter from that lineup. Not denying that he is talented, but will he get his chance there? He might do, he might not but at this moment in time surely you'll agree in saying Wilshere is the better player. Purely for the reasons stated above, he's not just potential anymore, he's delivering on it.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Well I don't see him ousting Xavi or Iniesta for that matter from that lineup. Not denying that he is talented, but will he get his chance there? He might do, he might not but at this moment in time surely you'll agree in saying Wilshere is the better player. Purely for the reasons stated above, he's not just potential anymore, he's delivering on it.

Difference of course being, that Xavi & Iniesta are one of the best if not THE best midfielders in the world at the moment. Ousting such solid starters that have been the backbone of our team for a good while doesn't come easy.

To be fair, I fancy Thiago will get plenty of chances this season and will most likely be blooded into the first team. The kid's an exceptional talent and playing in "La Liga Adelante" won't hurt him either. He's been performing for both the U-19 and U-21 teams on quite a constant basis and it seems he just might be the one taking over from Xavi.

I'd have to say, after a careful assesment, that Wilshere is truly better at the moment for the following reasons. The circumstances have been substantially different in Arsenal if comparing to Barça. Your midfield's not as good as ours at the moment, which we clearly saw last spring and you've had your fair share of injuries coming in, leaving Wenger no option but to play such an exciting lad as Wilshere. It would be interesting to see how Thiago would fair in similar circumstances.

However, I'm not taking away the fact that when called upon, young Jack has definitely filled the void and taken upon all the responsibility in the world. He does have a manner of recklessness around him, but it's merely inexperience and he'll get past it. So I have to admit, you might be right.

Shit, this is why i would wish you guys to keep Cesc and us blood in kids like the Alcantara brothers, Riverola etc.

To add one more thing - Thiago is actually the better player when looking at the mere overall attributes of vision, passing, dribbling, footballing brain, but unfortunately Wilshere indeed plays at a higher level, which makes him actually prove himself, thus getting better each game he plays.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
thiago is probs better than wilshere.

but it's hard for us to definitively say, because we have a world-class midfield, so he doesn't get anything like the game time that young jack does.

as for mceachren, or however you spell it, he looks a tidy player but his style is sooooo totally at odds with the way chelsea play I can't see him breaking through with any real success for a while yet.

Home of Barca Fans