Joan Laporta

jairzinho

What exactly do we stand to gain from persisting with this project? The other top clubs have already backed out so what's the point?.

Givenchy

What exactly do we stand to gain from persisting with this project? The other top clubs have already backed out so what's the point?.

only thing I can think of is a possible fine from the super league for the clubs who agreed to the super league

FinBarcelonafan

Yeah? So why we need a European SuperShit that no one is relegated and they are there just because...nothing? What is the point in that? And why it's the fault of english teams that other leagues can't merchandise their product better? Or why is it their fault that stupid Bartomeu wasted 500 million euros on stupid transfers? I hate english football and England in general, but it s not their fault other clubs are in a mess.

Works in America. NFL, NHL, NBA so on

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
only thing I can think of is a possible fine from the super league for the clubs who agreed to the super league

Very unlikely, otherwise they wouldn’t have quit as quickly as they did. I am thinking perhaps these three clubs are trying to gain some sort of rapport/favor with the financiers of the ESL so they get their shares of the money should this thing ever get launched eventually.

JerseyAddict

I can't get it why Barca is so stubbornly behind this SL project . It could all have been on Bartos back and sleek exit... Now we are digged in it.

Barcilliant

The clubs are right.

Football is fucked unless there are changes.

There is one league that will benefit from status quo and it is EPL.

Yep, epl and Psg and Bayern. The point is any billionaire or rich gulf country can buy and epl club and than they have an infinite money supply.
If Saudi Arabia buys Newcastle that means more good players will be attracted to a club where there will be a big wages, big manager and big exposure.
Barca, Rm and Juve are going to struggle to keep up with the Epl clubs who are Europa level. In the long term I am struggling to see how anyone can compete with the epl.
If this was cyclical I don't think the clubs would worry but this is looking to be permanent. Both LA liga and Serie A are losing their relevance with the epl monopoloising football with maybe Bayern and Psg providing some competition once in a while.
I don't agree with the Super League and these clubs have fucked up but the risk is we end up being irrelevant and that is not good for football.
Barca and Madrid are the most glamorous clubs in the world but they look like a shell of themselves.
Uefa needs to tighten up the cl format and guarantee more income to the clubs.

Porque

Yep, epl and Psg and Bayern. The point is any billionaire or rich gulf country can buy and epl club and than they have an infinite money supply.
If Saudi Arabia buys Newcastle that means more good players will be attracted to a club where there will be a big wages, big manager and big exposure.
Barca, Rm and Juve are going to struggle to keep up with the Epl clubs who are Europa level. In the long term I am struggling to see how anyone can compete with the epl.
If this was cyclical I don't think the clubs would worry but this is looking to be permanent. Both LA liga and Serie A are losing their relevance with the epl monopoloising football with maybe Bayern and Psg providing some competition once in a while.
I don't agree with the Super League and these clubs have fucked up but the risk is we end up being irrelevant and that is not good for football.
Barca and Madrid are the most glamorous clubs in the world but they look like a shell of themselves.
Uefa needs to tighten up the cl format and guarantee more income to the clubs.

The only way to compete is to sacrifice the domestic leagues of Spain, Portugal, France, Italy (maybe Holland) and form a Euro Super League (-England) with promotion and relegating through the domestic leagues. I didn't include Germany as I don't think they would join.

This is the only way to collectivity raise tv rights to compete with the EPL. Already from Covid tv rights of France, Italy, Spain are in the toilet.

Having a Super League + The PremierLeague only brings even more money to the big EPL teams.

Plus this also maintains the CL for Uefa.

serghei

I can't get it why Barca is so stubbornly behind this SL project . It could all have been on Bartos back and sleek exit... Now we are digged in it.

That's because Laporta likes the Super League. Let's not hide behind the bush here. He's in favor of it.

serghei

We should give up on the project, it's getting embarassing. This is fucking capitalism. You can't get mad about it and moan that others are better at marketing their own competition and make more money. It's low class from Barca.

Don't get why Barca is so fussed about, leaving aside the disaster that Bartomeu was for this club. The club was no1 in Forbes for revenue in 2019 I think, last year pre-covid. That means the club brought more money in than any PL club. It's just that the money has been spent in a disastrous way on absurd wages, and crap transfers worth hundreds of millions.

And when you are this careless and don't work on oil money, you have to pay a price.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am for the three clubs fighting UEFA against its unbridled monopoly but the statement from the three always made it sound like the three are out to save European football from an imminent collapse, that is just too pretentious and fake.

serghei

I am for the three clubs fighting UEFA against its unbridled monopoly but the statement from the three always made it sound like the three are out to save European football from an imminent collapse, that is just too pretentious and fake.

100%.

All 3 are badly run clubs who have been left behind by the EPL clubs recently. But this is down to how they managed themselves. It's an inhouse mess they need to sort out. They just tried to do it with a quick easy shortcut. By a massive injection of capital via JP Morgan.

Theys should dig deep and suffer in the bad times like every club does. Don't get this frenzy with EPL clubs either. With all their money United is a joke for a decade. English clubs are known for going through prolonged bad times.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Its not about EPL club money. ITs about PSG and city money.

It is definitely about EPL money also and how that league is growing and medicore sides cherry the best players from other leagues too often.

They know that will continue and the interests in other leagues will wane as it already has.

Barca/Real and others will find it harder and harder to sign the top players when more EPL teams can get them earlier and are a bigger attraction to play there and its only going to get worse.

serghei

Barcelona has signed the best players from Liverpool twice in the last decade. Once with Suarez, once with Coutinho. Madrid did it with Hazard to Chelsea once did it with Courtois as well, did it to United with Ronaldo, did it to Tottenham with Bale.

The problem is the covid pandemic and the wasted money on players who flopped or didn't fit. EPL teams got themselves world-class managers that assembled top teams, and that's the problem.

Home of Barca Fans