Joan Laporta

FC433

I hope he does realize that letting Messi go does not in any way save us any $$$$$ (if he/ anyone else in the club thinks that is the case), on the contrary, we may need to spend more to compensate for what Messi brought on and off the pitch.

behindbrowneyes

Depay, Aguero and Emerson will play in the Gamper. Laporta himself said there won't be an issue.

He didn't say it that directly. I don't remember the exact wording, but he said something like it shouldn't be a problem as they've made many sacrifices to join Barca.

He then also said something that some players still need to leave so I wouldn't take the registration of these players for granted.

Might also be that we have to chose who to register first if we can't have them all. I hope the timing doesn't play a role there as that would mean Aguero gets registered first as he was the first one official IIRC. After Messi leaving Memphis is the most important imo.

Them playing Gamper doesn't mean shit as it is a friendly. Even Messi could play it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
According to MD next week will be crucial for the club to press the senior players to agree to paycut and Friday, August 13th seems to be a key date, if we don?t get it done by then we might not be able to register the four new signings.

If true, this means registering the 4 has not happened and is hinging on how wage reduction will go.

Also disappointing to know, as MD claims, the club is not really asking for a real wage reduction from the senior players, rather it will be a deferral (paying them less this season, reimburse them the lost amount later). If true this is very disappointing. On the other hand, those players have no excuse not to accept it. You are still getting paid what you were promised.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If he doesn't move on from Busquets, Pique next summer, at least so they don't start for us anymore, all this will be for nothing.

Yannik

According to MD next week will be crucial for the club to press the senior players to agree to paycut and Friday, August 13th seems to be a key date, if we don?t get it done by then we might not be able to register the four new signings.

If true, this means registering the 4 has not happened and is hinging on how wage reduction will go.

Also disappointing to know, as MD claims, the club is not really asking for a real wage reduction from the senior players, rather it will be a deferral (paying them less this season, reimburse them the lost amount later). If true this is very disappointing. On the other hand, those players have no excuse not to accept it. You are still getting paid what you were promised.

So these are Laporta owns words from Friday:

"Without Messi, the wage bill is 95% compared to the club's income"

"It's a very important event for the history of Bar?a and that's why I spoke to the whole dressing room. I explained to them that a new era is beginning, that they are the protagonists and that we have to show the world that we can win"

"According to our calculations, all the players we have signed will be able to register"

"We will close the season with significant losses, more than expected. But the revenue forecast is optimistic, hopeful."

"The football industry recommends a wage bill between 65% and 70% of the Club's in income. Now, it is 95%. The problem is not only wages but also the very high amortizations."

So I don't know if the 95% already includes the 4 new signings. If not, even their discounted wage would be around another 5-10% (optimistically) since all 4 together still amount to double digit millions.
But that means that by Friday the 13th Laporta aims to have the entire squad wages - which have already been discounted during Covid - shortened by yet another 25%.
I have no idea about the behind the scenes happenings at Barca, but from my understanding to achieve 25% (or even 30-35% if the new signings were indeed not yet included in Laportas figures) simply renegotiating with 3-4 senior players is not enough for that. It really requires drastic shortenings of almost the whole squad. I remember during Covid it took the club weeks or months to reach an agreement with everyone, and now it's 5 days for even bigger paycuts?

And if it's true that the wages are just delayed rather than actually shortened, and that even works, then what happens next season when everyone comes back from holiday and now demands 150% of their wages?

Last edited:

jamrock

Blaming the players is retarded. I am not even sure if all the dead wood left we could register a 50ME/year contract.

As for blaming Laporta: the main criticism is that he "lied" to us for a month/was overly optimistic? Imagine he told us a month ago that registering Messi was virtually impossible? I am sure that would have went far better :lol:

Arsenal are a big club by former glory only that no longer competes at the very top end and their revenues are mainly brought about from the EPL TV deal and their expensive stadium tickets, t their commerical revenue compared to the other big teams are relatively weak, they reported revenues of 400m last season, that's basically what we will have now after the crisis and it's not good enough for us. if you ask any barca fan do you want to be arsenal I'm 5 years the answers will be No.

Chelsea being banned from transfers activity is a totally different situation for what we are in, they were basically banned for 1 summer window & played they kids that season, but started spending money the moment the band was lifted, they ended up winning when tuchel came in and actually stopped trying to fit all the youngsters in the starting XI the way Lampard did, their CL final team only had mount & James in the XI Pretty standard fair for most big teams in Europe, even psg probably had 1/2 youth players in their XI when they went to the CL final.

The Chelsea comparison would be good if this was a short term situation 1/2 seasons at most, your logic works in that situation, but we are in a far worst situation than not being able to sign players for 1 window.

Chelsea revenues weren't decapitated by false reporting by the previous administration and record debts which gave them little breathing room, they could sign players for 1 summer, integrated their youth players and as soon as they could sign players again they began doing so, fired the coach who wanted to basically player an academy 11, brought in a coach that saw 2 really gems and scrapped the rest.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So these are Laporta owns words from Friday:

So I don't know if the 95% already includes the 4 new signings. If not, even their discounted wage would be around another 5-10% (optimistically) since all 4 together still amount to double digit millions.
But that means that by Friday the 13th Laporta aims to have the entire squad wages - which have already been discounted during Covid - shortened by yet another 25%.
I have no idea about the behind the scenes happenings at Barca, but from my understanding to achieve 25% (or even 30-35% if the new signings were indeed not yet included in Laportas figures) simply renegotiating with 3-4 senior players is not enough for that. It really requires drastic shortenings of almost the whole squad. I remember during Covid it took the club weeks or months to reach an agreement with everyone, and now it's 5 days for even bigger paycuts?

And if it's true that the wages are just delayed rather than actually shortened, and that even works, then what happens next season when everyone comes back from holiday and now demands 150% of their wages?

I don't think Laporta is aiming for the 65% or 70% threshold right away, it is simply not doable right now. By the way, I think the 95% of the income speaks to the depressed revenue due to COVID, pre-COVID even though we were the highest wage to revenue club in Europe but definitely nowhere as bad as 110% or 95%, it was around 80% or less if I recall correctly. But the wage to revenue ratio doesn't matter right now, or it doesn't matter as much as if we can get the entire wage mass, including those of the four new signings, within La Liga's salary cap that nobody seems to be able to confirm (160m?). That is the most important thing right now, once we get all of them registered we can talk about more wage reduction measures later.

If it is truly a deferral, then I guess the club is banking on assumptions that we will recover our revenue to the pre-COVID level. And with a deferral it is not just over one year, so we won't be paying them 150% of their wages next year, they probably will extend it to several years (said to be the case that we did for Mirotic).

These senior players don't have a lot of years left but on high wages. I think moving forward the club will be cautious and conservative when it comes to offering wages. We should get ourselves down to Real Madrid's wage level, at least.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Arsenal is literally the prime example of a club that isn't even big in results, but still big on revenue. I'm not even sure why you bring them up though because the stigma of Arsenal being a "kid squad" has been outdated for like 10 years or so.

No disrespect to Arsenal fans but Arsenal is quite abysmal revenue-wise, which was about a tad over a half of what we (Barca) brought in, hovering around the 10th place of all clubs in Europe. Plus, one advantage that Arsenal has that we don't have is the overall appeal of the EPL, much bigger TV deal and more eyeballs on the league so sponsors will find it quite appealing, even though Arsenal itself hasn't been doing that great.

Barca can't aspire to be the 10th place in Europe revenue-wise. We have to strive to be in the top 3. Of course in the next couple of years we might fall out of it but I expect us to come back eventually.

Yannik

I don't think Laporta is aiming for the 65% or 70% threshold right away, it is simply not doable right now. By the way, I think the 95% of the income speaks to the depressed revenue due to COVID, pre-COVID even though we were the highest wage to revenue club in Europe but definitely nowhere as bad as 110% or 95%, it was around 80% or less if I recall correctly. But the wage to revenue ratio doesn't matter right now, or it doesn't matter as much as if we can get the entire wage mass, including those of the four new signings, within La Liga's salary cap that nobody seems to be able to confirm (160m?).

As far as I understood it, the Salary cap and the Sports payroll to revenue ratio are related. Meaning it's not a fixed number, but a percentage of what they make. Wether that's the 65-70% threeshold Laporta talked about though I'm not sure.
Laporta also spoke about the fact that this does not only include wages but also amortizations, which means (quoting some else)

amortization involves spreading out the cost of an item + interest over a period of time in fixed installments.

In this context it applies to debt financing with loans secured to pay player transfer fees.

Loans approved by Barcelona were so large and so frequent that spreading out transfer fees in installments had little to no benefit or a negative effect on net income in future fiscal years. The number of loans and interest on the principal sums borrowed is unsustainable. High wages combined with debt financing significantly increased their debt to income ratio.

So that's another issue.

No disrespect to Arsenal fans but Arsenal is quite abysmal revenue-wise, which was about a tad over a half of what we (Barca) brought in, hovering around the 10th place of all clubs in Europe.

Considering they are Arsenal and not 10th place from an actual competetive POV it means they are outperforming the relative expectations. And Arsenal isn't even a club that actually just relies on calm transfer windows and solutions from within. They are spending crazy and have barely had much youth coming since prime Wenger days. (which were also the days they were actually most succesful).
If you want to translate the example to another club, take Madrid for example who haven't been spending for several years and trusted in the squad that was already there, yet maintained top positions.

Not every time a club goes busy in a window, it has actually improved.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As far as I understood it, the Salary cap and the Sports payroll to revenue ratio are related. Meaning it's not a fixed number, but a percentage of what they make. Wether that's the 65-70% threeshold Laporta talked about though I'm not sure.
Laporta also spoke about the fact that this does not only include wages but also amortizations, which means (quoting some else)

So that's another issue.

Nobody seems to know how La Liga's salary cap is really calculated. It is definitely tied to revenue, that we know, but also has something to do with profit and loss, I think. For example Real Madrid's 19/20 revenue was on par with ours and was actually 80m less but they had a profit as opposed to our loss of 97m, which resulted in them having a bigger salary cap (almost 100m more if we believe the reports) in the 20/21 season. Don't know how the payroll to revenue ratio is factored in.

And yes, player amortization is part of the salary cap and is one great source of our problems right now. Dembele still has one year left before being fully amortized, Coutinho has two and Griezmann has three years.

Considering they are Arsenal and not 10th place from an actual competetive POV it means they are outperforming the relative expectations. And Arsenal isn't even a club that actually just relies on calm transfer windows and solutions from within. They are spending crazy and have barely had much youth coming since prime Wenger days. (which were also the days they were actually most succesful).
If you want to translate the example to another club, take Madrid for example who haven't been spending for several years and trusted in the squad that was already there, yet maintained top positions.

Not every time a club goes busy in a window, it has actually improved. It's a gamble clubs take because they hope it will make them better. But when you don't have the money to do that, then you shouldn't gamble.

Agreed. In my opinion our financial downfall was triggered by the binge spending after Neymar's departure to PSG, with the board being pressed by the fans and perhaps the media to react and bring in big signings. We got taken advantage by other clubs and were offering crazy wages to entice players to come too. Not the case with those four new signings that Laporta brought in but I understand where you are coming from with this. Real Madrid is much more disciplined than us in that regard, something that I envy.

malvolio

That is a very week way to connect dots, never mind a proof.
Sound like a total bs

Isn't that what happened, as confirmed by Laporta and Messi? They agreed on the details of the contract, but in the end Messi didn't get anything to sign. Laporta telling them that the Liga won't allow it.

Home of Barca Fans