Joan Laporta

Devils

Him, Perez and Agnelli will die on the Super League hill.

Yeah it will be the end of all 3 of them. 3 old men trying to pave football forward when it has already left all 3 of them by.

There will never be a Super League without the PL clubs and those bridges were burned earlier this year.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Srry mate , but Laporta not wanting Messi has to be the worst conspiracy theory I have read. On par with 5G towers causing Covid.

malvolio

Not a chance Laporta wanted to get rid of Messi. In some ways it's already tainting his legacy as he's now the man who couldn't keep Messi from leaving, people accusing him of choosing ESL over Messi etc it's all over twitter for example. So despite all the work he did previously, the pain of losing Messi and the way he left unfortunately won't be forgotten, even though it was the previous administrations fault.

I think ultimately all the ESL clubs were extremely arrogant in their approach to introducing it and misjudged the fan reaction because of the exclusivity granted to certain clubs and going against sporting merit. What worries me though is Real, Barca and Juve seem hell bent on running with this without an apparent plan B to stay relevant in case it doesn't fly.

Club should just ditch the socios model. It's aboslete in the current climate. Elite clubs are businesses that shouldn't be run by politicians. Politicians don't really care as its not their money and promise everything, kicking the can down the line. As happened to our debt from Laporta, Rosell, Bartomeu and now Laporta again.

akaranzo

Yeah, circumstances change when contracts have to be signed. He had 5 months and knew the rules of la Liga. Suddenly the audit finishes just before 5 of August. Are you this naive in day to day life, mate?

We'll find out eventually the truth on what really happened.

Does everything in your life go exactly as planned? Is there never last minute changes in someone's decisions or just other things that are out of your control? It's already known what happened here, it's clear as daylight. But if believing some fantasy that Laporta is an evil mastermind who orchestrated the perfect way to get rid of Messi makes you happy then go for it I guess.

JamDav1982

Does everything in your life go exactly as planned? Is there never last minute changes in someone's decisions or just other things that are out of your control? It's already known what happened here, it's clear as daylight. But if believing some fantasy that Laporta is an evil mastermind who orchestrated the perfect way to get rid of Messi makes you happy then go for it I guess.

What changed last minute?

malvolio

Srry mate , but Laporta not wanting Messi has to be the worst conspiracy theory I have read. On par with 5G towers causing Covid.

Why so hard to believe though? Messi was a burden for him financially and interfered with his plans for the future. Plus Messi was on par or bigger than the club, as far as stature goes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Club should just ditch the socios model. It's aboslete in the current climate. Elite clubs are businesses that shouldn't be run by politicians. Politicians don't really care as its not their money and promise everything, kicking the can down the line. As happened to our debt from Laporta, Rosell, Bartomeu and now Laporta again.

Some of the clubs that have the highest debt, such as Tottenham, United, Juventus are all owned by rich guys/groups. Private ownership will not guarantee a well-run and debt-free club.

akaranzo

What changed last minute?

Finding out the real extent of the financial damage Bartomeu caused, and the fact that Tebas would not be willing to move the cap at all. It became clear to Laporta that his main focus should be to keep the club afloat in the first place, not to desperately re-sign Messi when we're on the verge of bankruptcy.

Windhook

Not buying the theory. Laporta ran the "renew Messi" agenda from day one and all of a sudden "last Friday" Florentino tells him to choose between Messi and potential 3 billion, never to happen league project? Come on, try harder logic than that.

JamDav1982

Finding out the real extent of the financial damage Bartomeu caused, and the fact that Tebas would not be willing to move the cap at all.

They did not just find out how much under the salary cap they were and how much needed clear. They have known that for months.

'Finding out' Tebas wont move salary cap is no last minute change either it was the case from beginning he most likely would not.

Neither of those are last minute changes club would not have been made aware of and regardless if unsure then why make out all going to plan?

Personally I dont mind Laporta bull shitting a bit if it was to benefit of club and trying to use Messi name to force Tebas into relaxing rules but to say any of this was last minute is false.

malvolio

Mate, Laporta has been around the block a few times. He is no stranger to club internal politics. He ditched stars in the past, for different reasons. Rember Ronaldinho? Remember Eto'o? The man knows how things work and what can be done.

You just don't sit on your ass for 5 months and suddenly you tell Messi that there is no offer because Liga doesn't allow it. All along assuring player and fans that all goes according to plan.

mc_lovin

Does it even matter? There was no way for Laporta (or any other president) to re-sign Messi without taking the CVC deal. He acted in our best interest.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Why so hard to believe though? Messi was a burden for him financially and interfered with his plans for the future. Plus Messi was on par or bigger than the club, as far as stature goes.

Surely the politician thing to do is to keep Messi and accept that CVC deal and leave the financial disaster to the next president something which Bartomeu would have done. Here is how I see it , Laporta was hoping that Tebas would lift/relax those wage restrictions as La Liga was about to start , obviously that didn't work out so told Messi he couldn't sign him.

I just don't see the benefit of Laporta not wanting Messi.

akaranzo

They did not just find out how much under the salary cap they were and how much needed clear. They have known that for months.

'Finding out' Tebas wont move salary cap is no last minute change either it was the case from beginning he most likely would not.

Neither of those are last minute changes club would not have been made aware of and regardless if unsure then why make out all going to plan?

Personally I dont mind Laporta bull shitting a bit if it was to benefit of club and trying to use Messi name to force Tebas into relaxing rules but to say any of this was last minute is false.

He had every reason to believe Tebas would be willing to make some concessions though. Every other big league has done just that. As he said in the press conference - they reached two different contract agreements with Messi and presented them to La Liga, who then rejected it. And the reason La Liga rejected it is because they want the CVC deal to go through and they were hoping to strong-arm Barca into accepting the deal so we could keep Messi. These specific nuances are not something Laporta could've predicted 5 months ago.

akaranzo

Mate, Laporta has been around the block a few times. He is no stranger to club internal politics. He ditched stars in the past, for different reasons. Rember Ronaldinho? Remember Eto'o? The man knows how things work and what can be done.

You just don't sit on your ass for 5 months and suddenly you tell Messi that there is no offer because Liga doesn't allow it. All along assuring player and fans that all goes according to plan.

Yes, but those situations were vastly different. Ronaldinho had gotten past his prime and had shown plenty of unprofessionalism, Eto'o wasn't part of Guardiola's plans. Messi is still by far the best player at the club and the heart & soul of the team, there is no conceivable reason why Laporta would want to get rid of him.

Home of Barca Fans