Joan Laporta

Yannik

[MENTION=19371]Yannik[/MENTION], I agree with what you said above. However, there could be pressure from existing sponsors and potential sponsors felt by the club to do everything to sign a new star player, whoever he is. If not, it might have detrimental affect on our commercial revenue and the power of the brand. Of course, that is only possible if we sell/release one or a couple of high earners. I think in the January window we will only be making small adjustments if we have the room for it, summer 2022 hinges on how we do this season both on and off the field (revenue-wise). If we do well, we might have more money and a bigger salary threshold for the 22/23 season.

The sponsors wish that Barca competes for CL titles, La Ligas and what not because that is what Barca is known to do. But the sponsors do not care if Barca ruins itself doing so, because once that happens they will just sponsor another club. You will not maintain the revenue you are used to if you take a diet. I'm not going to lie here and say that the previous fantastic revenue figures are still possible. But this is okay, because revenue is not the same as profit. If you cut the costs long term, then a lower revenue will not be the ruin of Barca. As long as you operate under a profit, you are doing fine. Maybe not in the reach of CL titles for a while. And when I say say "a while" I really mean that Barca fans here will not discuss CL titles and Mbappe/Haaland signings for the next 5 years. But at the very least you might come out stable enough to maintain the status of a sovereign club that doesn't need to be bailed or bought out and turned into a private company that will eternally get bleed out. Once those main issues are resolved, you can still go go back and play "top club".

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
The sponsors wish that Barca competes for CL titles, La Ligas and what not because that is what Barca is known to do. But the sponsors do not care if Barca ruins itself doing so, because once that happens they will just sponsor another club.

Beautifully said.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The sponsors wish that Barca competes for CL titles, La Ligas and what not because that is what Barca is known to do. But the sponsors do not care if Barca ruins itself doing so, because once that happens they will just sponsor another club. You will not maintain the revenue you are used to if you take a diet. I'm not going to lie here and say that the previous fantastic revenue figures are still possible. But this is okay, because revenue is not the same as profit. If you cut the costs long term, then a lower revenue will not be the ruin of Barca. As long as you operate under a profit, you are doing fine. Maybe not in the reach of CL titles for a while. And when I say say "a while" I really mean that Barca fans here will not discuss CL titles and Mbappe/Haaland signings for the next 5 years. But at the very least you might come out stable enough to maintain the status of a sovereign club that doesn't need to be bailed or bought out and turned into a private company that will eternally get bleed out. Once those main issues are resolved, you can still go go back and play "top club".

Sponsors choose a club to sponsor because of the appeal, influence and outreach the club has, it is easier to market your (the sponsor's) brand name and product if the club you sponsor has a lot of fans, supporters and followers who watch the games and follow the club. Barca is the most followed club in the world going by the number of social media followers and the number of interactions (likes and comments etc.). Granted that we will lose some due to Messi's departure (the effect remains to be seen and measured), it is still going to be quite popular I take. However, if we don't have anybody that is seen as the face of the club like Messi was, and particularly if we struggle on the pitch, the popularity of the club will nose dive and its influence will wane, that is a given. If that happens, sponsors will flee, which means we will not have the money to attract top talents outside etc., that's how you will become Arsenal or worse, Milan. I doubt the club will be willing to accept that fate.

Again, I agree given the magnitude of our financial woes we will need some austerity, look within and rebuild (both sporting-wise and financially) will take time; however at the same time we are Barca and we can't just be satisfied with being in the middle of the table in Europe. We will always compete for the La Liga title, and yes, CL is out of touch for several years. Barca should absolutely learn from Real Madrid in this regard, they lost Ronaldo and hardly took a dent financially or status-wise, other than Hazard they have not spent big over the last several years and have been very disciplined managing their transfers and payroll. Yes we are financially worse than them (1.2 billion in debt vs. 900m in debt) but if they can stay up in turbulent times, so can we.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

The reality is that the super league will happen. It might start on a smaller basis but I am sure the three presidents know that if the status quo continues the three big clubs will not be able to compete in Europe. They will entice smaller clubs like Benfica, Ajax and Celtic and then entice the bigger epl clubs.
The time is not right for the super league but in three years things will change.

kattanib

It is reported that he is taking a 4 days vacation to disconnect .. makes you wonder if we will be able ti register our signings before the first La Liga game

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It is reported that he is taking a 4 days vacation to disconnect .. makes you wonder if we will be able ti register our signings before the first La Liga game

If he doesn't get them registered before he leaves for vacation he should be subject to an no-confidence vote soon.

Devils

There's two scenarios when it comes to this guy:

1) He's a total liar on par with Barto because of his lies surrounding Messi, project, transfers and so on.

or

2) He's completely clueless and doesn't have any idea to manage this club in the current environment nor did he have any plan coming in as the new president.

Either way, we lose.

JamDav1982

He is winging it and thinks can speak things into existence.

Arrived with no real plan but tell everyone what they want to hear for as long as possible.

kattanib

It is probably a business vacation away from all the noise to discuss things that will impact the future of the spanish clubs and la liga

Barcilliant

Didn't Laporta talk about signing Haaland earlier. Now we can't even register the new signings. Most who came on a free transfer.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans