Joan Laporta

khaled_a_d

So classic Catalan politics at work. Blame the previous board for everything, create a little noise in the media about some dubious transactions and we move forward. Basically same thing that Rosell did when he took over from Laporta.

But somehow this is seen as Laporta being a genius :lol:

Don't have an issue with accounting maneuvering, but its all the more clearer Laporta lied about not being able to keep Messi.

Well, it's not something most didn't figured out by now anyway. Onward and upward I guess.

tbf he got a point in doing so.
Pjanic was worth 15M a year from his transfer value, which in itself was a lie from Bartomeu board in order to falsely claim profit.
Coutinho was worth 20M a season, Matheus Fernandes 2M, Umtiti 2.5. Those were all accounting values rather than market one.
If we kept them, the club can't move them without incurring losses by their remaining value. For example we would have never loaned Pjanic sonce loaning him means 15M loss. Same with Coutinho
Overall it was fair play by the board, and they are the ones who leaked the details of this loss too.
Maybe they should have been more transparent, but this club is too political for that

JamDav1982

So classic Catalan politics at work. Blame the previous board for everything, create a little noise in the media about some dubious transactions and we move forward. Basically same thing that Rosell did when he took over from Laporta.

Don't have an issue with accounting maneuvering, but its all the more clearer Laporta lied about not being able to keep Messi.

Well, it's not something most didn't figured out by now anyway. Onward and upward I guess.

Means nothing in relation to Messi.

The same issues of renewing him remain regardless.

Andresito

Staff member

If we'd have prime Messi at 25 I'm sure he would have been renewed one way or another before his contract ended.

I don't think Laporta lied when he said Barca couldn't sign Messi after he became a free agent. But I also believe that they deliberately let Messi's contract run out so they could blame the circumstances, Tebas and his mother of Messi leaving.

Laporta personally probably wanted to keep Messi when he was elected. But his advisors came to the conclusion that for the rebuild to happen, Messi needed to go.
And then Laporta did it in the smoothest way possible. For his own sake that is.

JamDav1982

tbf he got a point in doing so.
Pjanic was worth 15M a year from his transfer value, which in itself was a lie from Bartomeu board in order to falsely claim profit.
Coutinho was worth 20M a season, Matheus Fernandes 2M, Umtiti 2.5. Those were all accounting values rather than market one.
If we kept them, the club can't move them without incurring losses by their remaining value. For example we would have never loaned Pjanic sonce loaning him means 15M loss. Same with Coutinho
Overall it was fair play by the board, and they are the ones who leaked the details of this loss too.
Maybe they should have been more transparent, but this club is too political for that

They also did it under the assumption it would be only time they could assign the losses to the previous board and not be accountable for those losses as a board.. which seems not to be the case with Tebas etcs ruling.

Pjanic if worth 15m on the books for the season would still have been loaned out. It would cost the same on books whether he was at club or not other than saving salary if he left.

End of day who really cares if they are trying to put losses on previous board as that is not sole motivation and what matters is what is best for club moving forward.

malvolio

If we'd have prime Messi at 25 I'm sure he would have been renewed one way or another before his contract ended.

I don't think Laporta lied when he said Barca couldn't sign Messi after he became a free agent. But I also believe that they deliberately let Messi's contract run out so they could blame the circumstances, Tebas and his mother of Messi leaving.

Laporta personally probably wanted to keep Messi when he was elected. But his advisors came to the conclusion that for the rebuild to happen, Messi needed to go.
And then Laporta did it in the smoothest way possible. For his own sake that is.

My thoughts exactly!

JamDav1982

The way it happened wasnt smooth and left board looking like they lied to Messi all along. Pissing him and a lot of fan base off.

I think they did want to renew him and thought the pressure could be applied to Tebas to alter the rules in the league to allow it to happen and also they were fairly close to taking CVC deal to allow it to happen before Reverter persuaded them not to.

Why they didnt renew him while under contract? Fuck knows. Maybe that was all part of plan to try and get La Liga to change rules rather than see him leave.. maybe Messi himself wouldnt commit that early. Maybe it made every signing in summer and now impossible if he had.

Signing Aguero was all about Messi as well. They dont sign him if think Messi leaving.

malvolio

Signing Aguero was all about Messi as well. They dont sign him if think Messi leaving.

Again board acted opposite to this claim of yours, by bringing in Auba as replacement. Bringing Aguero makes even more sense if Messi was leaving, as we would have been short of one option upfront.

You could make a case of not bringing someone else. But only proven option(not on same level though) on the market was Giroud at that time. And he still cost Milan something in transfer fee.

JamDav1982

Again board acted opposite to this claim of yours, by bringing in Auba as replacement. Bringing Aguero makes even more sense if Messi was leaving, as we would have been short of one option upfront.

You could make a case of not bringing someone else. But only proven option on the market was Giroud at that time. And he still cost Milan something in transfer fee.

No the board signed Aguero which I claim was to try and keep Messi happy and encourage him to stay. Auba has no relevance to that at all.

Aguero knees were done and him being best mates with Messi played big part in him signing.

For all the talk of reject that is one player City had actually rejected and made no attempt to keep.

Your claim that Laporta wanted Messi out and did in smooth way doesnt add up.

serghei

Laporta did the best thing with Messi. His wages, even after reduction, were too big because the contract he signed under Bartomeu was astronomical. Losing Messi or letting him go, or whatever it was, that could never go smooth.

His only serious fuckup was the Koeman affair, he handled that poorly. Who knows, maybe Xavi with a full season, hired since last summer gets us into a title fight. This Madrid ain't all that scary.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Laporta did the best thing with Messi. His wages, even after reduction, were too big because the contract he signed under Bartomeu was astronomical.

Laporta tried to keep him then was persuaded not to sign CVC deal to make it happen when Tebas wouldnt change rules.

If argue did right thing not to sign CVC then yes most likely but they did not decide Messi was on too much and time to move on.

Andresito

Staff member
The way it happened wasnt smooth and left board looking like they lied to Messi all along. Pissing him and a lot of fan base off.

Smoothest way possible. General consensus is that Messi left due to the circumstances. The majority is fine with Laporta in around Barcelona. If he would've openly forced Messi out, Laporta certainly would've gotten more heat.

It's all about perception.

JamDav1982

Smoothest way possible. General consensus is that Messi left due to the circumstances. The majority is fine with Laporta in around Barcelona. If he would've openly forced Messi out, Laporta certainly would've gotten more heat.

It's all about perception.

He wanted to keep him though not see him leave and it was not smooth for Messi or the fans or the planning for this season.

They thought La Liga would bend to keep Messi.

Why wait? Why not announce a month/weeks earlier that Messi cant stay due to the league rules? Why keep saying he will renew when knew couldnt? Because they thought could find way for him to stay.

serghei

He wanted to keep him though not see him leave and it was not smooth for Messi or the fans or the planning for this season.

They thought La Liga would bend to keep Messi.

Why wait? Why not announce a month/weeks earlier that Messi cant stay due to the league rules? Why keep saying he will renew when knew couldnt? Because they thought could find way for him to stay.

It's probable that Laporta was ok with more than one scenario. What he wasn't ok with in the end was CVC Deal. That was off, so the way to register Messi was to pressure La Liga. I think Laporta was fine with Messi on 50% cut salary + no CVC.

But he was also fine with no Messi as long as it doesn't backfire on him. It leads to a cleaner more consistent rebuild, with a lot of money saved in terms of wages.

malvolio

No the board signed Aguero which I claim was to try and keep Messi happy and encourage him to stay. Auba has no relevance to that at all.

Aguero knees were done and him being best mates with Messi played big part in him signing.

For all the talk of reject that is one player City had actually rejected and made no attempt to keep.

Your claim that Laporta wanted Messi out and did in smooth way doesnt add up.

of course signing auba has relevance as it clearly implies we needed a top striker upfront. if aguero didn't have heart issues we wouldn't have went in the market for another striker.

Home of Barca Fans