Joan Laporta

jamrock

Fair enough. His demeanor aside, what he has done with the club in his second tenure so far is not likely to help meet the challenge of this daunting task he has. He promised to turn the club around and steer it in a good direction, so far he has had a very poor showing (not just in terms of results on and off the pitch, but everything). We should give him more time, but I seriously doubt he can do it even with a few more years. I love to be proven wrong.

As to Bartomeu, he was under all sorts of criticism during his tenure. Nobody blindly supported him.

If you have doubts he can turn it around that's understandable given your VALID concerns re nepotism he has shown so far, but like you said the task is almost impossible, so the odds are more likey that he will fail than succeed.

But I know their is no one I would rather be in charge right now than him. He's a bit like when Perez came back after Calderon, except Calderon didn't ruin madid financially.

At that time Madrid fans trusted Perez because of what he had done before, he showed he knew how to bring them to the promise land.

The task his almost impossible, we are more likey to go bust that return to the top, but he has known over the years he always has Barcelona interest at heart & knows how to do the post important job of a leader, which is to put the right people in the right places to excell.

As it relates to bartomeu he got very little criticism until it was clear as day we were fucked.

JamDav1982

Absolute nonsense.

Folk have had same complaints about amigos having too much power, old team with no legs for years and that being enabled from the top.

To make out that just started with this board is absolute shite and that has been main gripe again this season.

No one is blaming Laporta for finances bar those that claim he wasted what money Barca had in January.

MTL_Barca

Difficult task or not, his actions (not only his of course, but he's responsible as president) can still be judged.

Xavi as coach for example, or using a big chunk of our limited funds on Ferran. Both still not decided yet, but if they fail then that's also on Laporta and not on Bartomeu and the mess he left behind.

jamrock

Difficult task or not, his actions (not only his of course, but he's responsible as president) can still be judged.

Xavi as coach for example, or using a big chunk of our limited funds on Ferran. Both still not decided yet, but if they fail then that's also on Laporta and not on Bartomeu and the mess he left behind.

These are definitely valid concerns because xavi has fallen off a bit of a cliff towards the end of the season, but let's see how he does next season.

Torres is definitely a big waste of freaking money. But he backed xavi on that one which i get.

But he's a total freaking waste

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If you have doubts he can turn it around that's understandable given your VALID concerns re nepotism he has shown so far, but like you said the task is almost impossible, so the odds are more likey that he will fail than succeed.

But I know their is no one I would rather be in charge right now than him. He's a bit like when Perez came back after Calderon, except Calderon didn't ruin madid financially.

At that time Madrid fans trusted Perez because of what he had done before, he showed he knew how to bring them to the promise land.

The task his almost impossible, we are more likey to go bust that return to the top, but he has known over the years he always has Barcelona interest at heart & knows how to do the post important job of a leader, which is to put the right people in the right places to excell.

As it relates to bartomeu he got very little criticism until it was clear as day we were fucked.

That bold part is huge questionable, to say the least. I'd say from his second tenure so far he has driven the right people (like Reveter and many others) away and replaced them with people with little experience in those respective fields and areas. Probably explains why commercially and financially we have done so little under his reign so far.

The thing is, just because he was successful during his first tenure as president (thanks to Ronaldinho and more importantly later Guardiola, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and other great players), it doesn't indicate that he will be like that in this time around. Huge questionable.

I know anybody who is Barca president right now would be struggling to turn things around, be it Laporta, Font or anybody else. It is just that what Laporta has done so far is doing his goal of turning the club around a huge disservice, it is not helping it.

I'd like to see who else will come out in a few years and what their agendas and plans are. I don't trust politicians.

Devils

Laporta has never been a football visionary like Florentino.

Previously Laporta's greatest strength was that he was able to surround himself with very capable/visionary people like Pep, Txiki, Cruyff etc...and followed their advice on what's the best direction for the club.

Now he has the likes of Xavi and Alemany (who the jury is still out on) and Laporta is still following them like he did before. But it's pretty clear there are no more visionary's here.

What on earth is going on here with us trying to sign Lewandowski for 40m and Azpi and Alonso to an already veteran rotting squad? Also spending 60m for Ferran Torres and playing him as a touchline winger when the fool has no pace/acceleration or dribbling ability? Renewing Sergi Roberto?

These are bizarre decisions.

Doesn't seem like Laporta has a clue. He's just giving into Xavi's demands thinking he's another Pep in the making when Xavi is nowhere near it.

jamrock

That is what seperates great leaders from ordinary ones, is the people they surround themselves with.

Time will tell how good Alemany and they likes will be, to judge them when they are playing with one hand tied behind their back is a bit difficult tbh, have to give them time.

JamDav1982

No one is saying Laporta, Xavi or Allemany should not be given more time or cant turn it around.

What is being commented on is the season to date.

Barcilliant

Why are people turning this into a Laportas vs Barto issue? I hated that terrorist Barto and can't blame Laporta for the mess he has to deal with.
However my gripes with Laporta in order are:

Xavi: this really grinds my gears. Just because he is a legend Laporta goes and hires him despite his experience being in the clown league of Qatar. Laporta himself was doubtful and in his early interviews said Xavi should prove himself in the B team. He should have either sacked Koeman in the summer or got a caretaker coach in for the rest of the season. Ten Hag would have been ideal for us. Experienced yet young and knows how to work on a limited budget.
Amigos: Still indulging these motherfuckers who have disrespected the club in the worst way. Nobody will think of the amigos as club legends except the local fans. Laporta should have read them the riot act and moved them on.
Signing veterans: signing veterans on long contracts. Azpi,Alonso and Lewa. Joke really. Nothing more to add.

Andresito

Staff member
Thought the point of having to go through all those obstacles last year was to make registration easier from summer 2022 on.

jamrock

Not looking good, finances are disaster class & tebas isn't trying to help.

While bartomeu is probably somewhere chilling in the sun.

JamDav1982

They are better off just being honest with fans and solidifying the situation and long term good of club.

Selling off parts of club and taking CVC to sign old players for couple seasons is too short sighted.

The Barca squad with good coaching can fairly easily make top four at least and favs for CL last 16.

This idea that Barca have to have stars and there cant be any seasons to rebuild comes with its own dangers.

Then try to make deals within the rules as did last summer and in Jan.

They are in a shit situation financially but also dont have the usual expectations either.. most fans want to see progression and a view of the future not a team built on amigos and players in 30s brought in for short term gains and parts of club sold to facilitate it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans