Joan Laporta

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Was going to ask same question.. are folk supposed to be happy to give up hundreds of millions of future income just to keep the same team?

Yeah.

Any signings such as Marcos Alonso, Cesar Azpilicueta or any other old player will be on Xavi and the sporting department now.

Obviously we cannot go all out and spend 300m, but there's more than enough margin and money to be able to at least restructure the squad significantly now. Saying we cannot spend 30m on a starting RB or LB for example is just an excuse now and not a valid one.

Kul_z

This summer is do or die for laporta. I was excited at first, but now real job begins. We showed this season that we are capable of competing with everyone, but:

1. If madrid had that domination that we had against them it would turn to 2:8, or another similar debacle. Point is, madrid's head wasnt on stake, only pride, but we beat them badly, thats always good.

2. There are glimpses of structure how the team should look like, and what area should we reinforce. Stats dont give up everything, but getting rid of players who played for the sake of playing and/or players that were unavailable should be shown the way out, somehow. There are 5,6 total deadweights in our squad at least.

3. You have a solid bmw m5 in attack, you are thinking about getting a ferrari for the same thing while in some critical positions you drive fiat panda. Point is, lewa money should be spent elsewhere.

4. World is turning to shit already, there is no room for melancholy, sentiment or whatever. Things move rapidly, today you sign the deal, get booed, next month you are the undisputed king. Barca is a world wide giant, its not just a catalunya pride anymore.

We have all the tools to succeed, be competitive like, next year. But sentiment must be gone, we are mes que un club in lot of things still, but we dont need to be known as the fallen giant because of principles that no one even cares about anymore. Frankfurt game was the example how much mes que un club means to local barcelona citizens/fans.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We can spend whatever our budget allows us on transfers plus the 40m from the CVC deal, however I haven't seen any figures as to how much our new salary cap is, or how much more we will have. I can't imagine it will be a big figure, probably just going from negative 144m to positive 100m, something like that, I guess.

If our salary cap is still very small, we can have all the money in the world but still can't do many signings, unless we start selling players (using the 4/1 or 3/1 rule).

Porque

Maybe now we're signing the CVC LaLiga will give some more leeway on reaching the salary cap.

But I doubt it.

The deals are good news for Busquets, Alba and Pique. All the new debt can be used towards paying them. Oh, and renewing Sergi Roberto and Alves.

040b0148d7ef4b3d2b63fcb193f67fc8.gif

Last edited:

Windhook

We can spend whatever our budget allows us on transfers plus the 40m from the CVC deal, however I haven't seen any figures as to how much our new salary cap is, or how much more we will have. I can't imagine it will be a big figure, probably just going from negative 144m to positive 100m, something like that, I guess.

If our salary cap is still very small, we can have all the money in the world but still can't do many signings, unless we start selling players (using the 4/1 or 3/1 rule).

I'm confused about the -144m cap, because it was released as late as 14 March, and Barca announced the Spotify deal on 15 March. Probably the 57.5m p/a Spotify money didn't go into the cap calculation. If true this leaves us on -87m cap and counting the CVC money it leaves Barca somewhere around 150m+ salary cap the least. Which might still not be enough once the transfers window opens.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I'm confused about the -144m cap, because it was released as late as 14 March, and Barca announced the Spotify deal on 15 March. Probably the 57.5m p/a Spotify money didn't go into the cap calculation. If true this leaves us on -87m cap and counting the CVC money it leaves Barca somewhere around 150m+ salary cap the least. Which might still not be enough once the transfers window opens.

I honestly don't know how the salary cap is calculated, I don't think it would be that simple, ie. adding the Spotify annual figure to the cap.

I guess only La Liga and the club know exactly how what our salary cap is.

Windhook

I honestly don't know how the salary cap is calculated, I don't think it would be that simple, ie. adding the Spotify annual figure to the cap.

I guess only La Liga and the club know exactly how what our salary cap is.

Found this one
The difference between these income and structural expenses will be the amount that each team can use in its workforce to pay salaries, that is, that amount is the salary cap. It is regulated in articles 34 to 41 of the aforementioned "SAD budgeting and club rules". All the money that clubs receive for sponsorship contracts, subscriber and membership fees, television rights (broader income in these seasons), operating income, income from competition (League, Cup and Europe), advertising and sale of players.

On the other hand, is estimated as an expense all the money spent on player purchases, operating expenses, depreciation, provisions, non-sports personnel and what is known as negative variations in stocks.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Found this one

That makes sense but I don't think it is it though. If the salary cap is based on essentially, in simple terms, revenue minus expenses, then our salary cap this season would have been negative 487m, something like that, not negative 144m. Also Madrid's salary cap wouldn't have been as big as 700m (I think that is their salary cap?), since there is no way their profit is that much.

Or perhaps the "structural expenses" above do not include player wages?

Windhook

That makes sense but I don't think it is it though. If the salary cap is based on essentially, in simple terms, revenue minus expenses, then our salary cap this season would have been negative 487m, something like that, not negative 144m. Also Madrid's salary cap wouldn't have been as big as 700m (I think that is their salary cap?), since there is no way their profit is that much.

Or perhaps the "structural expenses" above do not include player wages?

From what I read above player wages are not included in this math. And it makes sense as all the other factors determine how much your wage budget is.

You are correct on Real Madrid's cap, but I'm not familiar with their finances, only presume they have more lucrative sponsorship deals like this one.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
From what I read above player wages are not included in this math. And it makes sense as all the other factors determine how much your wage budget is.

You are correct on Real Madrid's cap, but I'm not familiar with their finances, only presume they have more lucrative sponsorship deals like this one.

I still don't buy it. If the expenses factored in the calculation of salary caps do not include player wages (which are the bulk of expenses for all clubs), then in our case, that means our other expenses (excluding player wages) were over our total revenue by 144m at the end of 20/21 season? For me that is unimaginable.

Yeah, Madrid has been much better than us in terms of attracting sponsorship deals in the last several years (this season they signed 4 new sponsors already and we've got none other than Spotify so far), but I don't think this deal on the new Bernabeu (would not materialize until it is built, I think) would be factored in their current revenue and calculation of salary cap.

Windhook

I still don't buy it. If the expenses factored in the calculation of salary caps do not include player wages (which are the bulk of expenses for all clubs), then in our case, that means our other expenses (excluding player wages) were over our total revenue by 144m at the end of 20/21 season? For me that is unimaginable.

I'm wrong here. Apologies. I just remembered Umtiti cut down on his new salary so we can sign Ferran in January, so wages go into the calculation.

Porque

Laporta has assured that "in the face of the statements by the president of the League saying that we cannot sign a player, I would like to remind the president of the League that his functions are to watch over the league of professional football and by the clubs, so I ask you to refrain from commenting on whether or not we can sign a certain player, because that clearly harms the interests of FC Barcelona ."

The Bar?a president added, regarding Tebas 's words , that "I don't know if he makes these comments voluntarily or involuntarily. If he does so voluntarily, it is inadmissible, because there is a clear desire to harm Bar?a 's interests . And if he does it involuntarily is further proof of his verbal incontinence and desire for prominence, which with all due respect, I think is not his turn".

---

With all the CVC talk this response has been glossed over. I think it is an important quote from Laporta in response to Tebas naming Lewandowski, Pedri, de Jong and being completely unprofessional. He must have been watching too much UFC and thought he was Dana White and that he owned all the players in the league.

Home of Barca Fans