Joan Laporta

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Laporta wants Mourinho at Barca?? The new Laporta already seems in lack of good ideas.

According to dubious sources yeah.

Don't think Laporta will go against Cruyff and Cruyff is anything but a Mourinho fan.

Kohe321

Most likely not, it's just media speculation that has grown some roots since no one has come out and denied it yet.

But even it's it highly unlikely that Laporta would bring Mourinho, let's just think about that for a second. We're in a need of a world class coach, not mid-table coaches who always show they are in over their heads whenever a big match comes along that require a higher level of tactical intellect. Mourinho, personality aside and how destructive he could become if things didn't go well, could probably win titles with this team. We're getting so stuck in the way of thinking that every coach we hire needs to "understand our philosophy" and have "tiki-taka in his blood" that we're removing all our options. What we're dreaming of is Pep, or someone exactly like Pep, like his twin brother or something that magically appears from within our own system so we can recreate what we once had. It's not going to happen, which the last few years have shown.

We keep talking about our philosophy, yet we go ahead and appoint Tata Martino and now Lucho, the latter who has us playing the least recognisable football in years. Barcelona has no midfield dominance at all under Lucho. Now THAT is hilarious, as he's coming from our own club and supposedly understood our philosophy... All we're stuck with is tactics that are mediocre at best, from a coach who is acting like he has won as many trophies as Mourinho and refuses to change, and frankly our football is freaking boring now. It has been for a long time, seriously if it wasn't for Neymar, Messi or Suarez making some great highlight reel moments on their own, our football matches the last couple of years could be used as sleep medicine. It's nothing I would have fallen in love with years ago.

How hard would it be for someone like Mourinho with his level of tactical talent and understanding of football to make a team play tiki-taka and passing based football with a strong midfield? Do you really think he'd be like a golden retriever at the wheels of a car? Is it really THAT hard to make Barca play good passing football again? No, I'm sure he'd watch a few Pep-era matches, and within one month we would be playing a LOT better than what we are now under Lucho.

I'm rambling a bit. What I mean isn't that Mourinho is the answer, but I'm trying to make the point that we need to stop looking for that ever-elusive white fox that is "the perfect Pep successor". I think we would go a long way by just getting someone who is world class, and let them do their thing under some terms and conditions. Right now Ancelotti has Real Madrid playing some absolutely beautiful attacking football. They are playing way more like "Barca" than we ourself have done in a long time. If Ancelotti was hired as our coach and only given the following instructions: "here's the players you have at your disposal, this is their strenths and weaknessess, now do what you must but make this team WIN". He would make them play to their strengths, and this teams strength is their technicality and passing proficiency. It is NOT crossing the ball into the box 100 times a game, and we're NOT good when we have no midfield control, or don't have possession.

Maybe we need to stop trying to re-invent the wheel, the wheel being the way we played under Pep, and just have someone REALLY good at their job come in and make us play the way we do best, the way that falls naturally for the players we have, and not tinker it into oblivion and change the line-up every game. There is just too much BS right now.

Last edited:

DonAK

The problem with Mourinho is not how good he is or whether he can adapt or not and all that, it's his destructive personality which is the reason he didn't get the job in 2008. And what he did after that.... No words for it.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
The problem with Mourinho is not how good he is or whether he can adapt or not and all that, it's his destructive personality which is the reason he didn't get the job in 2008. And what he did after that.... No words for it.

This. Mourinho hasn't changed since then and has made it even less likely that he would ever get the job through what he has done since. If we rejected him then for an unknown coach then there is little chance that we would go back to him.

Barcilliant

Laporta is a smart man. He may not be the cleanest president but he knows how to hire football people and then let them get on with their jobs.

He also does his best to support them. I reckon he will win pretty easily. He will campaign on the basis of hiring a big name coach and signing some big stars.

In fact with Laporta I can see Klopp coming here. Whether Klopp will become successful is another question.

DrPepper

This. Mourinho hasn't changed since then and has made it even less likely that he would ever get the job through what he has done since. If we rejected him then for an unknown coach then there is little chance that we would go back to him.

Yeah, but people want Klopp who has many similarities with Mourinho in terms of behaviour during the match or in press conferences. Also at some point after already having appointed three unknown coaches after Guardiola they certainly must be thinking about getting someone more proven. At least I hope so, regardless if it's Mourinho or not.

Other than that Kohe321 is right. I can't believe people are thinking that Mourinho would make Barca park the bus or play on the counter attack. He's done it with Madrid simply for the reason that they have Cristiano Ronaldo who is the best counter attacking player in the world while being crap playing in tight spaces. He identifies the team's best players and tries to get the most out of them. Simple, but very effective.

Andrew M

I can't believe people are thinking that Mourinho would make Barca park the bus or play on the counter attack. He's done it with Madrid simply for the reason that they have Cristiano Ronaldo who is the best counter attacking player in the world while being crap playing in tight spaces. He identifies the team's best players and tries to get the most out of them. Simple, but very effective.

I would contest that final point. Mourinho is a counter-attacking manager right to the very marrow of his soul. Defence is his foremost concern.

DrPepper

I would contest that final point. Mourinho is a counter-attacking manager right to the very marrow of his soul. Defence is his foremost concern.

He's a defensive minded coach, true. But that doesn't mean Barca would sit deep at home against Elche and hope to get a break to score.

Just look at his possession stats with Madrid. Aside from the meetings against Barca his team always had 60 or 65% of the ball. There's certainly no problem with being a bit conservative when playing away against Madrid or Bayern, right? I mean people would also take Heynckes who was happy to surrender possession against us and Arsenal in the CL. If it means winning 7-0 why not.

Also Mourinho's Madrid outscored Barca in his first two seasons. Only in Jose's final season Barca managed to score more goals in the league.

DonAK

Yeah, but people want Klopp who has many similarities with Mourinho in terms of behaviour during the match or in press conferences. Also at some point after already having appointed three unknown coaches after Guardiola they certainly must be thinking about getting someone more proven. At least I hope so, regardless if it's Mourinho or not.

Other than that Kohe321 is right. I can't believe people are thinking that Mourinho would make Barca park the bus or play on the counter attack. He's done it with Madrid simply for the reason that they have Cristiano Ronaldo who is the best counter attacking player in the world while being crap playing in tight spaces. He identifies the team's best players and tries to get the most out of them. Simple, but very effective.

Do Klopp act like a dick in most of his press conferences?

Andrew M

He's a defensive minded coach, true. But that doesn't mean Barca would sit deep at home against Elche and hope to get a break to score.

Just look at his possession stats with Madrid. Aside from the meetings against Barca his team always had 60 or 65% of the ball. There's certainly no problem with being a bit conservative when playing away against Madrid or Bayern, right? I mean people would also take Heynckes who was happy to surrender possession against us and Arsenal in the CL. If it means winning 7-0 why not.

Also Mourinho's Madrid outscored Barca in his first two seasons. Only in Jose's final season Barca managed to score more goals in the league.

I really didn't like his Madrid team. He would have the defensive six and then the attacking four. Ancelotti's Madrid is much more sophisticated and nuanced.

Mourinho is the type of coach who, when he has his opponent by the balls, will throw on Mikel and think job done. Heynckes' Bayern had way more about them than any Mourinho team.

Mourinho is a simple results man. Nothing else matters.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters

Klopp hasn't slagged off our club at every opportunity he gets

Home of Barca Fans