Joan Laporta

malvolio

It's not like we were not getting humiliated with Messi every year in CL. This year we were largely unlucky, fucked by injuries, refs and Xavi's tactics/selection. Should win LL, build up that momentum and go far in the CL next season

Not renewing Messi has saved us from results like 8-2, 4-0 (x3).

That Benfica game last year would have ended anywhere between 4-0 and 8-2 if Messi played.

:lol:

Just cope with the fact that he's gone and we sank even further than getting spanked 8-2, 4-0 in CL quarters/semis. People were acting like it's a given to play CL quarters/semis/finals.

Now we can't get out of the groups -> proven fact that we are worse without him.

"Benfica game last year would have ended anywhere between 4-0 and 8-2 if Messi played" -> some shit speculation that you made up to feel better.

Don't know why people like to downplay Laporta getting rid of him. It was clearly a bad move when Messi was still a top player. The man took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Last edited:

Porque

I'm clearly 100% telling my honest feelings.

As you say we have sunk to the Europa League. Good job Messi is not here, as not only would we have lost to Benfica 4-0, but we would have lost to Frankfurt 8-2.

Messi983

As much as I love Messi and hope he shatters Ronaldo's CL goal record, I am still glad he is gone.

Still 11 goals behind CR, pretty sure he'll stay in Paris and try to leave Europe/retire as a CL leading scorer although Haaland will most likely beat that record in future.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
:lol:

Just cope with the fact that he's gone and we sank even further than getting spanked 8-2, 4-0 in CL quarters/semis. People were acting like it's a given to play CL quarters/semis/finals.

Now we can't get out of the groups -> proven fact that we are worse without him.

"Benfica game last year would have ended anywhere between 4-0 and 8-2 if Messi played" -> some shit speculation that you made up to feel better.

Don't know why people like to downplay Laporta getting rid of him. It was clearly a bad move when Messi was still a top player. The man took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Messi had to go, sorry brother

ajnotkeith

We obviously would have been better from a short term perspective resigning Messi, it's probable we wouldn't end up in Europa either of these years, but he's very old now and we had to prepare for a future without him. Especially during financial troubles when we can't afford to pay that huge wage he is receiving at PSG.

No point of papering over the cracks with Messi whilst as a club we are still dysfunctional and need a huge rebuild, which would have happened anyway after a couple of years. Better to have started it ASAP and have him off the wage bill even if we suffered competitively.

Messi983

We obviously would have been better from a short term perspective resigning Messi, it's probable we wouldn't end up in Europa either of these years, but he's very old now and we had to prepare for a future without him. Especially during financial troubles when we can't afford to pay that huge wage he is receiving at PSG.

No point of papering over the cracks with Messi whilst as a club we are still dysfunctional and need a huge rebuild, which would have happened anyway after a couple of years. Better to have started it ASAP and have him off the wage bill even if we suffered competitively.

Exactly, if Messi wouldn't leave in 2021 I'm sure this would be his last season at the club and we'd be now preparing for his goodbye.

All amigos should be gone by next summer and it's time to look forward and move on with Lewy and the kids. Bring a quality DM and RB and we are on the right track.

malvolio

Exactly, if Messi wouldn't leave in 2021 I'm sure this would be his last season at the club and we'd be now preparing for his goodbye.

All amigos should be gone by next summer and it's time to look forward and move on with Lewy and the kids. Bring a quality DM and RB and we are on the right track.

so what's wrong with that? amigos all stayed 2 more seasons after he left anyway.

2 years of having messi, not getting dumped out of CL groups, he gets a proper farewell and everybody is happy.

lewy is just papering over the cracks, not a long term solution. you don't rebuild a squad by getting rid of the best player in the league and then get a 34 year old(albeit worldclass?) striker.

the only real progress we made is getting a proper CB and we tried getting a winger that for now is misfiring.

looking at current squad we need - LB, RB, maybe another quality CB?(as araujo might be injury prone and not all that? + christensen being more of a rotation option), DM, maybe another creative midfielder, WL and possibly another striker

you're talking like we are all set, but this squad can't get out of a CL group. with GK being in the form of his life.

Last edited:

Porque

Didn't we have major salary cap issues last year though. Wasn't Messi wage basically our whole salary cap for 21/22 season.

malvolio

Didn't we have major salary cap issues last year though. Wasn't Messi wage basically our whole salary cap for 21/22 season.

yes, but they didn't try to work something out with messi.

laporta shook hands with messi for 40M a season i believe. let messi run out his contract ensuring him deal will be signed after copa america. then he said there was no deal, not for any salary.

in june laporta got a loan from goldman sachs of $605 million, club was audited as banks don't hand out loans to unsolvable institutions. so all that bullshit about how he didn't knew they were infringing liga salary cap was not true. they knew since they got into office that renewing messi was going to be tricky, but they lied and went back on the deal.

Devils

What a failure so far lol.

That said I think he has a higher chance of sacking Xavi than that nutcase Font would. So we are better off in that regard.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Messi might save us from going down to the EL, but won't save us from being humiliated at the CL knockout stages. What is the difference other than monetary?

Postponing and prolonging the rebuild? Nah.

I wish Messi good luck with PSG at the CL, win them a trophy!

Home of Barca Fans