João Cancelo

xXKonan

Reading Gabriel San's article on MD he also pretty much stated Cancelo, is coming to Barcelona.

my reaction if it does happen :shrug:

I will of course support the guy, but for his price it's a gamble considering theirs other RB's you could find out there who are young and are better for around that price.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yeah, as talented as Cancelo might be attacking-wise, this move has a big bust potential simply because of his lack of defensive skills. Even worse than Vidal's who actually tries, but is just bad. Imagine being just bad and on top of that, a lot of times not even trying.

Obviously he's had some rare games he's been good defensively, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I get that he's 22, but it's the lack of effort or defensive positioning and tactical awareness that should worry people. He does the same thing in Barcelona where he doesn't give a shit and starts jogging back on a counter attack against us while blaming the other players for conceding a goal and he'll get destroyed by everyone. His team mates, the media, the fans.

A very high bust potential.

Last edited:

xXKonan

The RB market is a tricky one since you won't find a new Alves considering his talent was very unique and he was a force of nature. But their are some good young talents our there that are good going forward but also solid at defending for their age.

I think our RB strategy boils down to finding a young RB who's attacking talent potential is really good and with hopes that their defensive issues improve over time to acceptable levels while having a beastly creative talent going forward.

We are looking at guys like Bellerin,Cancelo,Aurier,Djibril Sidibé,Almamy Touré,Fabinho etc. Bellerin and Aurier are longshots and very likely won't happen but guys like Fabinho,Toure,Sidibe would be a good start and are really good for their age.

But it seems Robert really likes Cancelo the most despite the other options being the best bet to invest in. I mean it's all rumors anyway but theirs a likely chance we will end up with Cancelo this summer though.

gasgas

Vidal was excellent in attack for Sevilla but suspect defensively
Cancelo is similarly good attackwise for Valencia but a lot worse defensively

Another bad transfer

navidjaan

The irony that Lucho is trying his best to bench the only home-grown player he has developed in to an XI player is quite amusing.

God Serena

I don't get it, the team doesn't have a competent RB, it really wouldn't hurt anyone to at least pretend we have a B team. Palencia would be just as big a risk as Cancelo would be, but if he fails we won't have another 30-40m wasted and another useless nobody filling up our bench.

Jombi

He's far better than Vidal going forward, no comparison at all. But I do suspect this is another fishy Valencia deal. Is the sleazeball Mendes secretly involved? Who knows. We are getting obsessed, just like with the constant incoming Arsenal players which paid for their new stadium. Why on earth we are ignoring the French league or the Portuguese league or other leagues to such an extent I have no idea. To claim that "La Liga experience" is necessary after signing Arda, Vidal, Paco and Gomes for a truck load of money without any results is just downright laughable.

khaled_a_d

The irony that Lucho is trying his best to bench the only home-grown player he has developed in to an XI player is quite amusing.

There is no reason to believe that Lucho is behind this,The Sporting director has huge influence in our transfers ever since Pep left and Roberto is an ex-Valencia player(born there and spent 10 years of his professional career in the club their) who seem a fan of them while Lucho still have doubts about signing a new contract. I am sorry but it doesn't make sense to believe Lucho is behind this
That in case we believe such silly rumors. I mean after last year when almost every player we signed wasn't really linked to the club during the season I've my doubts about this rumor.

Last edited:

xXKonan

giphy-downsized-large.gif

He was being used as a winger this match but it gives you a clue how his pace is compared to Digne.

Shame that his defensive contribution is just isn't good. :lol:

Last edited:

God Serena

Watch him become our best sub for Messi at RW and everyone who supports every new player no matter what will say "he's a good RW backup so he's worth his spot on the team" even though we'd still need a competent RB.

BarçaBarça

This transfer does not make any sense, at least not if it is right that the deal is almost finalized:
1. The price: 30 M. € is ridiculous compared with what we could get elsewhere - my guess is that for 30M. we could get any other relevant RB in the world besides Bellerin, and maybe even 2 for that price (Sidibé, Fabinho, Pereira etc. would most likely be cheaper & better).
2. The timing: We need to scout and research more before making a decision, it seems rushed to strike the deal now - especially when it isn't an Umtiti-case of getting a bargain-deal before his price rises.
3. The coach: Does the coach like him? We don't even know if Lucho is going to continue after this summer, and I think it will be highly relevant not to splash 30 M. on someone who is not approved by the coach - who knows if the next coach want to bet on Palencia as Roberto-backup - then 30 M. would be wasted and we can't afford that.
4. The fit: He needs to improve massively in the very important defensive area, and that is a huge bet, which could go well, but for that price you would expect guaranteed quality.

Home of Barca Fans