Jose Mourinho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Although Pep has bit negatives(like scouting, not able to handle the egos) he is and will be an excellent tactical genius... There are numerous occasions where he had changed the formation, style, etc depending on the opponents. And about those negatives, they are nothing a few more years of experience cant cure!!

poncirus

I'll say it again, Garrido is an example of a very good tactician. Villareal has come to Nou Camp this year and outplayed Barca in some parts of the match, and could have easily gotten better result. They did that by playing clever and ambitious football, with great ball retention and interplay. I have never seen a Mourinho team doing that against any decent opposition. He regulary sticks to setting up a double wall, playing rough, physically intense, and counterattacking. He's great at what he does, but I have a right not to like it.

Trequartista

The good
I'll say it again, Garrido is an example of a very good tactician. Villareal has come to Nou Camp this year and outplayed Barca in some parts of the match, and could have easily gotten better result. They did that by playing clever and ambitious football, with great ball retention and interplay. I have never seen a Mourinho team doing that against any decent opposition. He regulary sticks to setting up a wall and counterattacking. He's great at what he does, but I have a right not to like it.

Have you seen Barca vs Inter at the san Siro last year?

poncirus

Barca was rusty, and beaten by a team who played their bollocks off roughing, pressing and counterattacking. Last 25 minutes when strength wore off a little, Barca were all over them and Inter was very lucky.

Trequartista

The good
Although Pep has bit negatives(like scouting, not able to handle the egos) he is and will be an excellent tactical genius... There are numerous occasions where he had changed the formation, style, etc depending on the opponents. And about those negatives, they are nothing a few more years of experience cant cure!!

Pep is an awesome tactican,the diversity of the formation and the system is quite unbeleivable,in his first year We used a more direct 4-3-3 with ALves covering the whole right wing and Messi cutting in as number 10,Titi as second striker,Abidal as 3rd centreback to help ALves to go forward,in his second year when we needed to help the left back to go forward more,we started to see Busqets doing the modern sweeper role,toward the end of the year we started to watch Messi as false number nine,this year we are rotating between Abidal and Busquets for dropping/staying deep to make the backline 3,Messi acting more as a number 10 behind Pedro and Villa who always exploit spaces Messi leaves behind,other tactical combinations is the Maxwell or Adriano playing with Keita who uses to cover them as they are way attacking minded than Abidal
Dont think that his scouting is bad at all:Henrique,Kierrson were Txixi's,we cant judge Chiggy bec he only stayed for one year,maybe he cant indeed deal with egos but we cant fully blame him because the squad is really one unit and more than only a team and the prescence of Zlatans and Minos could have destroyed what all the squad done in the last 2 years

Barca was rusty, and beaten by a team who played their bollocks off roughing, pressing and counterattacking. Last 25 minutes when strength wore off a little, Barca were all over them and Inter was very lucky.

and then have you seen Mourinho's Chelsea?I am no big fan of Mourinho but saying he is a poor tactican is hilarious bec he won Barca when he parked the bus last year and was thrashed when he didnt park the bus,the problem with all of us that we always think that only games Mourinho played were the 1-0 one vs Barca last year at the camp and the 5-0,Mourinho is one of the best managers in the world,I would take Pep over him anyday of the week(Despite being completely different types of managers) but Mourinho is on the right track to become one of the best managers in the history of football

poncirus

and then have you seen Mourinho's Chelsea?I am no big fan of Mourinho but saying he is a poor tactican is hilarious
Well, I think nobody said he is poor tacticiaan. I said he is certainly a competent tactician, but pretty conservative, not really different from majority of top football coaches today in that department. He has other outstanding abilities that make him what he is.

edit: What he did against Barca last year is basically the same thing what Christian Gross did with Stuttgart, difference was luxury of tired Barca, some luckiness and a superb squad under him. Mallorca and Hercules did it this year. Etc etc. It's not superb tactics, but it works in today's football. He is great because he has shown he can do it pretty consistently. But media overhype it and confuse it for "perfect Mourinho tactics". It's not.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
I think the whole false number 9 was due to the Swede incompetence than an idea from the start

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
I think the whole false number 9 was due to the Swede incompetence than an idea from the start

We started the 2008-2009 CL final with Messi as a false 9, and there were other matches in that season with Messi in that role too. That worked then, and after the failure of Ibra Pep decided to play without a real striker in all the games. The idea was already there, it just wasn't used every match.

Trequartista

The good
llike jesse said we played some matches with the false no 9 stuff but it was not the formation pep depended on in our most matches,plus he didnt use zlatan in that role despite being a very good idea for a false number nine,but after messi's run in the last la liga games,pep decided to depend more on messi as false nine\number 10\top of diamond role and hence sold ibra,bought villa

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
their was not a better team on paper than porto during his time in portugal, have to give him credit for what e did in Europe though, but thats a whole other debate

making a slight change your tactics doesn't make you a tactical genius beast, that is the point i am arguing, yes he is a good tactician, but at the end of the day all though teams were at their core the same team any competent manger would change their system to fit the players they have at their disposal.

any competent manager given the resources jose has and the win at all cost attitude, not caring what kind of football is team plays would have come close are match what he has done so far, just look at lippi and capello, they type of football he plays is the easy of the 2-4 most commonly used system most coach uses in football today.

to be reactive is much easier that to be proactive.

Ps What pep did is on a whole other level from what rijkaard has done, rijkaard gave us a system to get the best out of certain player, pep has a tactical framework that totally dominates damn near every team barca plays against and is damn near unbeatable, bar a few lucky wins from opposing managers over the years.

rijkaard game closing to losing the CL final against ten men, he was never that tactically astute, no one can imagine the same thing happening to pep

pep has achieved a level of football with this special set of players, that no other young coach playing today(jose included) has come close to achieving.
jose with his type of management given the same player, would not come close either is just not in his style of management.

What pep did was basically impossible had Rijkaard and Henk ten Cate did what they have done. The work that preceded Pep was phenomenal in that it removed 6 years of failure and brought back what Barcelona was all about.

To achieve consistency pep had to go beyond that and he did, which is brilliant. Especially how he adapted his formation to different players. Before Busquets being able to drop in between the 2 center backs, he had abidal puyol pique. Then he allowed Abidal more freedom and had busquets drop in between. The result is the same, 7 players attacking and 3 defending.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

• 14 hour coach trip to get to the match
  • Olegário Benquerença, Portuguese ref for the San Siro semifinal match - friend & former business partner of Mourinho
  • Milito's 2-3 meter offside on the 2nd goal
  • Motta fouling Leo, Benquerença waving play on as Maicon scores the 3rd on the ensuing counter
  • Penalties(2) not called for Dani or Pique
  • Bojan at Camp Nou having his goal disallowed

Yeah, it was an impressive win

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
What pep did was basically impossible had Rijkaard and Henk ten Cate did what they have done. The work that preceded Pep was phenomenal in that it removed 6 years of failure and brought back what Barcelona was all about.

To achieve consistency pep had to go beyond that and he did, which is brilliant. Especially how he adapted his formation to different players. Before Busquets being able to drop in between the 2 center backs, he had abidal puyol pique. Then he allowed Abidal more freedom and had busquets drop in between. The result is the same, 7 players attacking and 3 defending.

While Pep inherited a good team and Rijkaard and HTC helped set the stage, especially after HTC left the team was a tactical disaster and undisciplined. Pep's Barca is a much different team from Rijkaards. Might he have struggled had he taken over 6 years earlier? Probably, Pep is a very inexperienced coach and still tactically naive in a lot of ways, but the system is very different.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I do not disagree, I was agreeing how Pep went way beyond the combo of HTC + Rijkaard. It is not the same as Rijkaard because there are significant differences in each line.

Forget inexperience, Pep's team is complicated and if the team had not been so confident due to success they would have not had the ability to even go beyond their time with Rijkaard.

No way in hell Pep would be able to get his team to work without the talent that has been in the making for years. The level required to make the passes, dribbles and understanding is very very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans