Julián Álvarez

khaled_a_d

Pretty much what was said about Lautaro a few years back. Yes, he isn't a world beater right now. But I got a feeling he'll get his transfer, do good and we'll still be chasing some other bums and end up with a shit attacker.

Was Roque worth 40M? Was Ferran worth 65M?

And yet, you keep complaining about them non stop, and complaining about us buying City rejects.

And Lautaro is still not Barca quality at the age of 27 and not worth the investment, while actually being the bigger talent than Alvarez whom people judge mainly based on couple of great WC games that is likely to be the peak of his career. Lewa atm is even better than both as a number 9.

We can go for someone like that if we are sure Lewa is done and we have zero alternatives, but currently that is the case

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I feel Alvarez will be a great striker, probably not top level but with a bit luck Lautaro level

he needs to leave city though, it doesnt matter how good he is he wont get a spot over haaland

fergus90

He was pretty poor for large parts of 2024 so I’m not sure if he’d actually be that expensive, especially if he states he wants to leave.

Maradona37

The thing about him is he's the anti-Haaland - he offers much more in general play and makes other players look better, while only getting decent/average stats himself. This can be overblown about him too though as he does have poor spells of form where he doesn't enable others either.

He's clearly a better 'footballer' than Haaland, but Haaland is the bigger goalscorer by a mile and in this hyper stats era he will never get in the team consistently over Haaland. Even Guardiola who values players for what they do outside of stats knows that Haaland is far too superior a goalscorer to Alvarez for him to risk it. It isn't a Messi situation where Messi was the best goalscorer, playmaker, passer and dribbler in the world. In a head on comparison and fight positionally, Guardiola will choose the bigger goalscorer over the more rounded player when the difference in goalscoring prowess is as significant as it is here.

I do rate him though in general. He's a quality player. But if you're looking for a guy to score plenty of goals I don't think he's the man. But he can make the team perform better when he's on form. Haaland is an individual whereas Alvarez is a team player.

soul24rage

And yet, you keep complaining about them non stop, and complaining about us buying City rejects.

And Lautaro is still not Barca quality at the age of 27 and not worth the investment, while actually being the bigger talent than Alvarez whom people judge mainly based on couple of great WC games that is likely to be the peak of his career. Lewa atm is even better than both as a number 9.

We can go for someone like that if we are sure Lewa is done and we have zero alternatives, but currently that is the case
I'd take current Alvarez over current Lewy anyday.

companyofcules

The thing about him is he's the anti-Haaland - he offers much more in general play and makes other players look better, while only getting decent/average stats himself. This can be overblown about him too though as he does have poor spells of form where he doesn't enable others either.

He's clearly a better 'footballer' than Haaland, but Haaland is the bigger goalscorer by a mile and in this hyper stats era he will never get in the team consistently over Haaland.

I do rate him though in general. He's a quality player. But if you're looking for a guy to score plenty of goals I don't think he's the man. But he can make the team perform better when he's on form. Haaland is an individual whereas Alvarez is a team player.
Haland has the stats because he played regardless of his form.
Alvarez has a better finish but is stuck in the loophole of not playing, playingsas a second fiddle, running his lungs out for pressing, beingjudgede for the few instances when he is a number 9.
His finishing vs Canada was very good, but allot of potential was lost due to Pep wanting Haland to succeed to not be accused of fearing caracters or ruining number 9.
But City lost the UCL and almost the peasant league due to this. The attack is so boring and untalented that makes no sense calling City a big team.

Maradona37

Alvarez has a better finish but is stuck in the loophole of not playing, playingsas a second fiddle, running his lungs out for pressing, beingjudgede for the few instances when he is a number 9.
His finishing vs Canada was very good, but allot of potential was lost due to Pep wanting Haland to succeed to not be accused of fearing caracters or ruining number 9.
But City lost the UCL and almost the peasant league due to this. The attack is so boring and untalented that makes no sense calling City a big team.
Yeah I don't wanna look like I like Haaland or anything. I despise him as a player and find him an awful footballer who simply is an insane goalscorer. He misses an awful lot of chances too though. He's just a goalscoring cheat code, though to be fair he disappears in a lot of big games.

Alvarez can score goals but he's not a freakish level goalscorer like Haaland. He may well be a better finisher - I don't actually think Haaland is that good a finisher - he just gets lots of chances partly because the team creates so much for him, and partly due to his pace and power and movement creating himself space (I feel similar about C Ronaldo in this sense).

fergus90

It’s a bit of a myth Álvarez doesn’t get games. He featured in 36 league games out of a possible 38 year last season, many as a starter.

At the turn of the year his form just basically disappeared and was dropped for the run in. If I’m not mistaken didn’t he go on a bit of a scoring drought with the national team too?

Porque

It's pure EPL tax to talk about 70m for Alvarez.

But excellent buy for the amount City got him at.

I guess you could relate him to Gabriel Jesus, someone who can be very good and a starter at a Tier 1.5 side like Arsenal or Man Utd.

Something around 40-50 would be fair resale.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Julian Alvarez is not a better finisher than Haaland. He's not a better player either. And Pep is not afraid of benching a star player if he thinks someone else would be better or more useful.

One of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

soul24rage

It’s a bit of a myth Álvarez doesn’t get games. He featured in 36 league games out of a possible 38 year last season, many as a starter.

At the turn of the year his form just basically disappeared and was dropped for the run in. If I’m not mistaken didn’t he go on a bit of a scoring drought with the national team too?
Mostly played in many different positions in the season like second striker, on the wings and even as a number 10.

For the NT, he was on a scoring drought after WC with Lautaro but those game were mostly friendlies and some WCQs. Both of them turned up in the Copa America which is more important.

malvolio

You're tripping about current Lewa being a better player than current Lautaro.

Still not Barca quality when you compare him to Romario, R9, Villa, Suarez etc. Agreed there. But he would have been better for us than Griezmann, Braithwaite, Depay, LDJ, Lewa.

And Lewa is done, don't know what is there to wait on?

While Alvarez can be labelled a City reject, he is a completely different player than likes of Ferran. From 65M Ferran to 70M Alvarez?

Home of Barca Fans