Julián Álvarez

fergus90

Mostly played in many different positions in the season like second striker, on the wings and even as a number 10.

For the NT, he was on a scoring drought after WC with Lautaro but those game were mostly friendlies and some WCQs. Both of them turned up in the Copa America which is more important.
I know, I watched basically every Citeh game that was televised but despite the different positions he still missed a lot of golden opportunities in front of goal.

I do like the fact he's a tireless runner and is very selfless but don't think he's ever going to be capable of hitting 20 league goals a season regularly.

I think for 35m he'd be a very good signing for someone like Atletico with his relentless energy. Got a decent set piece in him too.

companyofcules

1000044930.jpg1000044928.jpg

First season when Pep did him really dirty he overperformed. He really did him dirty two seasons in a row. Just one game where his xg demands a goal a he doesn't deliver in two seasons. And Alvarez playing as forward doesn't mean poacher. He will never reach his prime, two years lost playing as fireman is a huge thing for a forward.
1000044937.jpg1000044939.jpg

Attachments

• 1000044939.jpg
    1000044939.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 3

Maradona37

Julian Alvarez is not a better finisher than Haaland. He's not a better player either. And Pep is not afraid of benching a star player if he thinks someone else would be better or more useful.

One of the dumbest things I've read in a while.
Haaland does miss a lot of chances to be fair. Like I say he gets loads cos of his pace, power and movement, but he doesn't have the greatest shot conversion rate, last season at least.

That's not to say that Alvarez is a Romario level finisher, because he is inconsistent with it, but Haaland isn't an amazing finisher imo. He just gets lot of chances.

I would tend to agree though that Alvarez is a very good player, but a little bit off elite. He's not the game changer Haaland is in terms of goalscoring, but he's still done well for City though in his first season, and very well for Argentina. He offers things Haaland doesn't.

CatalinR10

Just inned on this thread and saw Halland's name and just wanted to say he's a PUSSIOS for scoring or assisting 0 in his 9 semmis and finals for City , not to mention being 0 vs RM in 2 years.

You have blood on your hands boyo !

Maradona37

Just inned on this thread and saw Halland's name and just wanted to say he's a PUSSIOS for scoring or assisting 0 in his 9 semmis and finals for City , not to mention being 0 vs RM in 2 years.

You have blood on your hands boyo !
I'd say the reason he's so ineffective in big games is because his physical advantages and movement - which is what his game revolves around, let's be honest, he's poor technically and in playmaking - are negated against the elite intelligent, physical defenders. Therefore he can't bully guys like Rudiger or get as many chances. He gets much fewer chances in big games (as you expect) and as I say he misses them or is invisible altogether.

This doesn't really explain though why someone like Lisandro Martinez - a much smaller man - has been able to keep him quiet in finals. But there are outliers. Generally his physical advantages are much less pronounced against the best teams, and that's what the bulk of his game and success comprises - his size and speed and ability to strike a ball.

companyofcules

I know, I watched basically every Citeh game that was televised but despite the different positions he still missed a lot of golden opportunities in front of goal.

I do like the fact he's a tireless runner and is very selfless but don't think he's ever going to be capable of hitting 20 league goals a season regularly.

I think for 35m he'd be a very good signing for someone like Atletico with his relentless energy. Got a decent set piece in him too.
He has the same effectiveness as Lewandowski while playing all over the pitch and running his lungs out. I think he will easily score 20 goals while playing as a poacher and taking the pens. And I don't think Julian needs to be a poacher, Benzema made Real an oiled machine while never being celebrated as a great striker.
I like the 35 m number but Julian between 2 great inside forwards can make Barcelona unplayable and I don't see City donating players like him. He did rather well between Messi and Di Maria before Pep cut his career short.
But I will not risk huge money on him due to him not developing in two seasons his poacher skills. That is a huge risk considering our fan base is virtually clueless in regards to football. They started to kill Suarez in his first half of a season in Barcelona.

Maradona37

He has the same effectiveness as Lewandowski while playing all over the pitch and running his lungs out. I think he will easily score 20 goals while playing as a poacher and taking the pens. And I don't think Julian needs to be a poacher, Benzema made Real an oiled machine while never being celebrated as a great striker.
I like the 35 m number but Julian between 2 great inside forwards can make Barcelona unplayable and I don't see City donate players like him. He did rather well between Messi and Di Maria before Pep cut his career short.
But I will not risk huge money on him due to him not developing in two seasons his poacher skills. That is a huge risk considering our fan base is virtually clueless in regards to football. They started to kill Suarez in his first half of a season in Barcelona.
It's that age-old question isn't it. Is it better to have a guy who will guarantee goals but whose all-round game isn't as good (Haaland, current Lewa), or can you qualitatively be a better team, create more chances, and spread goals around with a more rounded player like Benzema or even Alvarez? Man City went this latter route before Haaland came in, with false 9s like Jesus etc, and I would argue they were a better team when they got 100 points than when they won the treble.

Most fans fixate on the cold stats, the former. But Benzema when Ronaldo was there(and not that many are at his level of facilitating) proved that with an all-round forward the team can operate a little better and you can open the door for other players than the number 9 to score.

The first scenario is more quantitative - cold hard facts you can see, a striker's goal tally. The second where a striker makes a team all-round better is more qualitative and harder to explain, but elite coaches can see it and value it. Ideally you'd have someone who does both but those are very very rare.

soul24rage

Missing chances is more of a confidence thing I feel. Don't blame him tbh as he's been played all over the place with no position consistency.

I'd rather wait until he gets to a club where they trust him as a 9 before putting some judgement on him.

Ironically, I wanted him to go to a club like Atletico or Sevilla.

TheStig

Is it better to have a guy who will guarantee goals but whose all-round game isn't as good (Haaland, current Lewa)

Current Lewa guarantees goals? 0,5 goals per game is not enough to put up with horrible all round game, Haaland is another story because he guarantees almost double goals as Lewa. Pep would never play this version of Lewa.

companyofcules

Haland, Alvarez, Lewandowski. Alvarez is in 4 categories lol his goals per 90 are more thant the npxg, Haland less, Lewandowski more.
Shot-creating actions 4.46 vs 2 and something
His problem is heading ability. Anyway, Lewandowski is more of football player than Haland but he is washed up, his expected xg is atrocious while camping like Haland.
1000044964.jpg1000044962.jpg1000044966.jpg

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
We should swap him with Roque. City will be mighty happy they are getting the next Haaland for so cheap.

We should bribe the city scout or something.

:boss:
:lucho3:

companyofcules

So to conclude, Alvarez has a better finish than Haland. Why he has that low tally can be put on his lack of poacher insticts or his running across the field, small stature, not being used as poacher, his love for playing football not camping, his altruistic nature etc etc.
But fact is Haland is worse than Alvarez at netting chances, but has more chances per 90.
So don't ever try to play smart ball with me because Ghostland is Ghostland for a reason, missing sitters and disappearing in all games. Hope next time you will learn that you can have a mediocre finish but lots of Goals. Penaldo is a testimony to that.
While Pedro was a fine finisher but not so much hyped for that.

companyofcules

It's that age-old question isn't it. Is it better to have a guy who will guarantee goals but whose all-round game isn't as good (Haaland, current Lewa), or can you qualitatively be a better team, create more chances, and spread goals around with a more rounded player like Benzema or even Alvarez? Man City went this latter route before Haaland came in, with false 9s like Jesus etc, and I would argue they were a better team when they got 100 points than when they won the treble.

Most fans fixate on the cold stats, the former. But Benzema when Ronaldo was there(and not that many are at his level of facilitating) proved that with an all-round forward the team can operate a little better and you can open the door for other players than the number 9 to score.

The first scenario is more quantitative - cold hard facts you can see, a striker's goal tally. The second where a striker makes a team all-round better is more qualitative and harder to explain, but elite coaches can see it and value it. Ideally you'd have someone who does both but those are very very rare.
Depending on the teams you play and the teamates one or another can be the best choice. If I will play against some elite teams I will take Alvarez/Benz over any striker and relly on the inside forwards. But I am a fanatic of the 433 where your best men flank the forward who is used more as a friendly wall than as a striker.
For me Benzema was the only scary thing at Real. Impossible to control, good heading ability so I don't want to make it look like Alvarez is near that quality but has a similar profile.
The issue with our team having Alvarez is that Yamal is a prospect and the rest are low cost inside forwards wingers, we want another low cost one. Haland will for sure net more goals but I don't see us winning huge games with Haland

Home of Barca Fans