Lionel Messi - v7

serghei

You can throw that idea out the window now. They will continue to rely on Messi as they did before, there is no way Messi will assume a bench role, even if Messi was OK with it the club will not, they will play Messi every minute as long as he is physically capable to do so.

It will not be much different from this past season. Might even be worse.

Messi asks ball to feet because he doesn't have off the ball game. He can only play right now as a team-central player where everyone finds him on purpose with passes. It's a very slim chance that he'll adapt to something else. He will need to work harder for that to happen.

I just don't see a 33-34 year old Messi changing his game. That's why he wants out in the first place, because he doesn't want to, and wants the team to be solid enough for him to keep his style of play and win titles.

Koeman will have problems with Messi imo. Some things will have to be done for Messi specifically, and at the expense of other players.

Last edited:

Riordon

Got excited about Messi leaving so a rebuild can finallly start. Now we have to watch the 442 and yes Messi forces his team to play 442 and him walking around and get humiliated again.

Should have let him go.

serghei

Yea, well, hope Koeman doesn't take any shit, and even has balls to sub Messi or leave him on the bench if he doesn't like what the team is playing. I know, hard one, will need to show tremendous guts.

Otherwise, this will be no real rebuild, when everyone will play Messi ball.

Richard.H

Messi asks ball to feet because he doesn't have off the ball game. He can only play right now as a team-central player where everyone finds him on purpose with passes. It's a very slim chance that he'll adapt to something else. He will need to work harder for that to happen.

I just don't see a 33-34 year old Messi changing his game. That's why he wants out in the first place, because he doesn't want to, and wants the team to be solid enough for him to keep his style of play and win titles.

Koeman will have problems with Messi imo. Some things will have to be done for Messi specifically, and at the expense of other players.

My best bet is that goal of Koeman was to rebuild and integrate Coutinho and Griez and to make sure team is very solid for the inevitable Xavi appointment. However, I think now with Messi staying it is to win LL+Copa to send off Messi on a high note. This way it ends well for everyone involved (Koeman, Messi, Bartomeu). Let's see how it goes.

Morten

Yes, Messi needs a solid team around him, as does everyone, that alone doesnt make him a liability.

Messi is a liability in the pressing part of the game, and in running in behind when the opportunity arrises(he rarely does that anymore), but overall, his contributions more than justify the downsides imo.

Be happy he can conjure up wins out of nothing in this coming la liga season, that alone will make sure you`ll be close behind first place.

.blitzer

Some of you talk about Messi like he's Cuenca. lol
He is a tactical liability in a few ways, but offers a lot to the team. If he's the only liability on the pitch, it can work. But when we had him, Su?rez, Busquets, Vidal, it's much harder.

F1_STK

Honest question here. I just got the new Messi black kit away jersey. Ordered it before all this hoopla and it just came in the mail. Would it be weird to wear it in public since he will most likely never wear the jersey this coming season? I know he?s a legend but it would be odd to wear a kit of a player he never wore it, no?

How do you feel my friend? :D

serghei

Yes, Messi needs a solid team around him, as does everyone, that alone doesnt make him a liability.

Messi is a liability in the pressing part of the game, and in running in behind when the opportunity arrises(he rarely does that anymore), but overall, his contributions more than justify the downsides imo.

Be happy he can conjure up wins out of nothing in this coming la liga season, that alone will make sure you`ll be close behind first place.

Messi's goals vs good - medium sides away in La Liga have been very few and usually from set pieces in the last season. Check and see that most of his goals came vs the poorest teams in the league, and usually on Camp Nou. Games we are totally expected to win.

And he is a liability in all aspects of the game when he is not in possession of the ball. Pressing, movement to create openings, keeping position in relation to his opponent and teammates and so on.

MagIX

I agree.
From me, I am happy that he stay.
But he's 33, we have to think about the post-Messi, start to rebuild the team.
For sure he's still a lethal weapon, but hey he's 33 !!!.... i hope the tactics wont' be the same (pass to Messi and wait for a genius touch).

Last edited:

Nazario1985

I'll repost it here because i feel people react based on what others are saying !!

This guy is the biggest thing happened to our club, and we were very lucky to get him to begin with instead of shitty Arsenal.

To think how much he contributed to this club is nothing short of a miracle.

Remembering his first injurie me saying "oh fuck another supposed talented player brought too early to play with adults" ... years later :

Messi-FCB-Stats.jpg

And still one more season with us (maybe just until January)

The dogs bark but Messi's caravan moves on.

-------------------------

For the lazy asses over there ;)

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans