Lionel Messi - v7

El Guaje

Why would anyone want the best player in the world gone? Messi is the least of Barca's problems, He is the world's best finisher and and most creative passer and some people don't want that in the team?? Crazy.

He is 33, he wants to leave and he will most probably leave after this season. Us keeping him against his will is just prolonging the inevitable. I’d rather sell him and start to rebuild fully. We get to rebuild and he gets his wish granted, win/win.

xxxxxx

Why would anyone want the best player in the world gone? Messi is the least of Barca's problems, He is the world's best finisher and and most creative passer and some people don't want that in the team?? Crazy.

We know how good he is, but it all depends on what kind of Messi we're going to see after what has happened. We all know when Messi is pissed off, he tends to lose interest. It's always going to be in the back of his mind that we're forcing him to be here. That's obviously going to have some kind of effect on his attitude on the pitch.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I honestly feel we won't see the best Messi out there.

FinBarcelonafan

He also kills any defensive stability of the team. He is strategic nightmare for the coach in big matches. He needs to up the tempo in bigger games.

Messi has become a bit like Guardiola. Great in league, bad in tournament football vs top teams. BBZ is on to something.

SmilerBam

Last season his goals and assists contributed directly to 31 points, that is not statpadding but crucial contributions.

He has had better seasons but still far and away the best and most decisive player in the league.

Don't tell them that.They ll still say Coutinho or Tricao are better.Really.It was a f*cking friendly.And he had one week less of physical preparation.Some here say we are better with friggin' Depay instead Messi.Depay...really...or Coutinho...he was a nothing player for Bayern too,until he scored 2 past a shambolic Barca defense when it didn t matter.Messi's fault too.Tbh,i'm sure he's the reason coronavirus exists.Friggin' diabolical midget!

SmilerBam

He also kills any defensive stability of the team. He is strategic nightmare for the coach in big matches. He needs to up the tempo in bigger games.

Messi has become a bit like Guardiola. Great in league, bad in tournament football vs top teams. BBZ is on to something.

Your boy on the avatar isn't even half the player Messi is.At this moment.Maybe he's past it.He should really go.Let's see how we are with Coutinho,Griezmann and other superstars bought by Barto_Oh yes,he's the reason we are a defensive liability.Not Pique.Busquets,Semedo.Alba...Messi is the reason.He should play central defender.Height will surely help him.I'm sure he sank the Titanic too.

SmilerBam

He is 33, he wants to leave and he will most probably leave after this season. Us keeping him against his will is just prolonging the inevitable. I’d rather sell him and start to rebuild fully. We get to rebuild and he gets his wish granted, win/win.

Rebuild with who?Just because some players played well agains a third division team doesn't mean they are incredible players.Besides De Jong, Fati and MAYBE Puig,i don't see any of the young crop being good Barca players.Also we have to fix that shambolic defense....but how?

FinBarcelonafan

Your boy on the avatar isn't even half the player Messi is.At this moment.Maybe he's past it.He should really go.Let's see how we are with Coutinho,Griezmann and other superstars bought by Barto_Oh yes,he's the reason we are a defensive liability.Not Pique.Busquets,Semedo.Alba...Messi is the reason.He should play central defender.Height will surely help him.I'm sure he sank the Titanic too.

Well, you have to admit there's some truth to what I said. I didn't really critize his great qualities, just saying it's tough to build balanced team around him because in modern football every player defends. While he is a genius, he also slows down the game, doesn't defend etc. He creates some issues for sure. He also creates a lot of goals and assists.

Frenkie is one of the best in the world in his own role. Pretty pointless comparison.

Everyone agrees Coutinho and Griezmann were flop buys. That was on Barto. Especially Griezmann. That guy was never needed. I didn't say Coutinho because a lot of fans wanted to sign Dembele and Coutinho after Neymar left. Griezmann was failed signing from the beginning and pretty much no fan even wanted to sign him.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Rebuild with who?Just because some players played well agains a third division team doesn't mean they are incredible players.Besides De Jong, Fati and MAYBE Puig,i don't see any of the young crop being good Barca players.Also we have to fix that shambolic defense....but how?

You will improve even this backline by signing new players to replace Suarez/Messi/Vidal/Busi etc. The defense starts from the offense actually. If you can pressure the villain high enough and get the ball back quickly, defense shouldn't be as big worry. Now we can't do that with Messi and Suarez. They are not good in pressing anymore.

blackrum

I am amazed how football fans can follow the sport for years and years and years and yet never learn not to have knee-jerk reactions. Talking about any player after a preseason game after a week of training as 'a lost cause' is hilarious.

JohnN

I could repost and repost and repost the analysis for our first half against Bayern and people here would still ignore it and blame our defensive blunders on Messi and Suarez, who had nothing to do with the goals conceded.
We all get the concept of "the whole team defends".
Yes, that would make our defense better. But you need to understand that we would still have condeeded those first 4 (more, bit I didn't finish the analysis) with that backine and that midfield, no matter how much pressure and defensive output Messi and Suarez had.

fergus90

Messi was off the boil, it was to be expected though. However, what I will say, his overall performances since January have been very average at times. Dribbling into traffic, getting dispossessed, lack of goals from open play etc. This could all be symptoms of playing everything through him when he's 33 and will have some obvious decline.
Hopefully now though with a rejuvenated Dembele,Fati,Puig,Coutinho,Trincao,Pedri we can be much less reliant on Messi and have other options for the first time in a long time.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Messi was off the boil, it was to be expected though. However, what I will say, his overall performances since January have been very average at times. Dribbling into traffic, getting dispossessed, lack of goals from open play etc. This could all be symptoms of playing everything through him when he's 33 and will have some obvious decline.
Hopefully now though with a rejuvenated Dembele,Fati,Puig,Coutinho,Trincao,Pedri we can be much less reliant on Messi and have other options for the first time in a long time.

Another big problem is that he never want to rest. He played EVERY match for 90min after restart and he is 33 !! I think thats the reason why his performances were often average this year, not enough rest.

El Guaje

You?d be asking the same question next summer as well when he really does leave. Its inevitable so should have just gotten it over with. There is no point in delaying it.

We dont know if these new, young players will be world beaters but it is a good start to the rebuild. We already have a decent core to stand on. They sure as hell fight and want to win. Difference between 1st and 2nd half yesterday was like 2 different galaxies.

How you say? Well if we announced Messi is up for grabs for 100m and sold him (and saved a LOT on his wages) we could have gotten 2 very good defenders, but no its more important to keep an unhappy player against his will. Long term the best solution was to sell him and everyone knows it.

serghei

I could repost and repost and repost the analysis for our first half against Bayern and people here would still ignore it and blame our defensive blunders on Messi and Suarez, who had nothing to do with the goals conceded.
We all get the concept of "the whole team defends".
Yes, that would make our defense better. But you need to understand that we would still have condeeded those first 4 (more, bit I didn't finish the analysis) with that backine and that midfield, no matter how much pressure and defensive output Messi and Suarez had.

:lol: That's like saying your first line of defense being crap has nothing to do with your base being captured. It has everything to do. In modern football, your front line is the first line of defense. As long as that line doesn't exist for us, and is composed of lazy players who walk off the ball and allow the opponent to pressure our midfield in numbers, we will be hammered in CL. It's that simple.

You say we all get the concept of "the whole team defends", and then say Messi and Suarez had nothing to do with the goals conceded :lol:. Have you seen how hard Bayern's forwards work defensively to make sure their midfield doesn't get overrun? Where is that effort in our front line? Shining in its absence.

Last edited:

Rory

Tbf though serghei how many chances did even we have against bayern in the first half? at least 3/4 but only 1 converted. Had we scored them all would you be saying it's down to the high pressing forwards or their defence collapsing/playing a high line. I suspect the latter. John is definitely trying to reach a fair and balanced judgement that; yes Messi and Suarez hamper the defence but also the defence did themselves no favours regardless.

Home of Barca Fans