Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I know he had the press conference, but will he get the Camp Nou sendoff and crowd throw at the Gamper?

Nothing is preventing Messi to play in the Gamper today but I know he won't.

Let's hope there will be a proper farewell-sendoff at some point. Might be tough to do since Ligue 1 has already started.

Messi983

Nothing is preventing Messi to play in the Gamper today but I know he won't.

Let's hope there will be a proper farewell-sendoff at some point. Might be tough to do since Ligue 1 has already started.

Can't play, he's not under contract with the club anymore.

FC433

I don't mind Real Madrid getting Mbappe, just not for free. Mbappe will help elevate La Liga and force us to up our game.

If both us and Real Madrid are weak, La Liga will truly turn into Serie A or something. Less money for all, gloomier future for all.
I never wish anything bad happens to Madrid because that will hurt as well. I just always hope that the gap between us stays close (one better while the other tries to catch up). So yes, I do truly wish KM ends up at Madrid this window.

akaranzo

Largely. But not entirely.
If Messi or Jorge had come out and publically said he'd play for minimal wage to sustain his living at Barcelona in order to make it happen, there'd be no doubt about the matter. But they didn't. Because, if interpretation of Spanish law is true, they clearly cared about respectable wage.

Then again TBH as much as I take the mick out of [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] 's idealistic sentiment, I do think Messi himself wouldn't want to be seen as a person for whom club would need to literally start tearing up contracts of his teammates.

These things are so easy to say, ''oh they could've came out and said this and that''. But at the end of the day, one side of a contract negotiation can only act based on what the other side is doing. If Barcelona asked Messi to accept a 50% reduced wage and didn't ask for anything else, why should he assume anything is wrong? That's all the info that he got, as far as he knew they were good to go. Things changed on Barcelona's side with La Liga, and then they got back to him and said signing him is impossible.

El Gato

Villarato!
These things are so easy to say, ''oh they could've came out and said this and that''. But at the end of the day, one side of a contract negotiation can only act based on what the other side is doing. If Barcelona asked Messi to accept a 50% reduced wage and didn't ask for anything else, why should he assume anything is wrong? That's all the info that he got, as far as he knew they were good to go. Things changed on Barcelona's side with La Liga, and then they got back to him and said signing him is impossible.

You're not wrong.
But if he cares so much about staying and sticks to the money despite taking 70% wage cuts in the past, and it being clear from all the news surrounding the club ATM that financial situation is so dire, I don't think Jorge really tried all that hard to help Leo stay at Barca. He was looking for the place that will let Leo be seen as the star he is, rather than facilitate his wishes by any means necessary.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think I can get over the fact that he is leaving. Him joining PSG just leaves a really, really bad taste in the mouth. It just feels so icky and while I'd want his legacy to strengthen, my disgust for that pathetic club running by a pathetic country with a gang of pathetic mercenaries.....just makes me want that project to fail ever harder.

Being an one-club man will strengthen his legacy, I think.

That said, if Messi can win a couple of CLs, even just one CL at PSG, in the eyes of his fans and the footballing world it is probably a plus.

Birdy

Never forget:

E8Q2q3UXoAUxRrv

Joseph Maria Bartomeu

The man who destroyed the club

Messi983

Not even as a former player like those legends did?

They are retired players and I think they're also signed to contracts to play in those games.

Would make zero sense for Messi to play and risk an injury after not even training for a month. For what? Just so 3k fans could say goodbye to him. He's gone, it's time to move on.

Newcomer

Crossing fingers! The stars are aligning perfectly for this scenario. Argie's lookin good and PSG's attack will be surreal. Ramos will bring them the leadership and rumor mill's whispering they're looking at signing Koulicool. That's gonna be some entertaining football!

On our side, best (well, only) way forward is to scout new talents on the cheap. Wouldn't be surprised if we bring up Kays Ruiz-Atil from the B-team. Lot's of fast, talented, hungry players out there.
[MENTION=15570]Newcomer[/MENTION], did you watch the game vs Troyes yesterday? Just promoted from 2nd div, but they sure put up a good front and drew so many fouls. Kabor? and specially that Bald? guy were lightning quick and proactive. Amazing goal by Hakimi too :thumbsup:

Yup, ofc i watched the game. Troyes really did take their chances and even got more situations than us. Quite pleasing. PSG wasn't really good but it is the first game with some players only coming back recently from holidays. Still, we could identify one big weakness at the LB position and Kimpembe being as unreliable as it gets as a CB.

Hakimi was pretty good on first half with that stunning goal as an acme. Less visible during the second half like pretty much everyone else. Players like Draxler didn't really take their chance with Neymar/Di Maria/Messi absent. Rippart did cause a lot of problem to our players.

serghei

They are retired players and I think they're also signed to contracts to play in those games.

Would make zero sense for Messi to play and risk an injury after not even training for a month. For what? Just so 3k fans could say goodbye to him. He's gone, it's time to move on.

Yea... if it was a 40% full Camp Nou I'd see a point.

Newcomer

There is good chance that Mbappe renewes since Messi is there.

Good chance ? I wouldn't say that. Mbapp? has no reason not to renew on the financial or the sporting sides. That only leaves him wanting to join a specific club, here Real Madrid. I don't see Messi coming changing that. Ofc, that is only my opinion. Also, i would think that the Qataris wouldn't want to sell him this summer either, so he would leave on a free transfer next year. On the other hand, the insider is saying it is done deal for renewal after the summer (around october) and that Leonardo will be sacked. Let's see.

Home of Barca Fans