Lionel Messi - v7

FinBarcelonafan

Imagine if he signs for City and fails to win both CL and PL in his first year. Pep could be fired in that case. To be fair Pep will be under enormous pressure next season and I am not sure if he can win anything with such a horrible defense.

True. Their defense is garbage and will be their downfall. Messi itself is not going to lift this team.

FinBarcelonafan

Just saw the stats and wow they're damning mate.

Ucl goals from losing position Ronaldo
23 Messi 5

Most goals from quarters to final
Ronaldo 41 Messi 16

Away goals scored since 20l3 in knockout stage
Ronaldo 12 Messi 0

Goals scored when their teams were knocked out Ronaldo 11 Messi 2.

I'm shocked...

Messi sulking is no joke. He can't lift his team if losing. His biggest flaw.

JamDav1982

City will have to change a lot of their game with Messi... less pressing from front, less ability to counter with pace, most likely less crosses into box and KDB less of a focus.

They will have his ability on ball and less of the misses vs Lyon proving pivotal.

Be interesting to see how works v top teams.

They will continue to smash goals v smaller sides and Messi will def rack up good numbers.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

23 Messi 5

Ronaldo 41 Messi 16

Ronaldo 12 Messi 0

I'm shocked...

Ronaldo's CL stats since 2013 are unbelievable and I doubt that in the next 40 or 50 years anyone will close to them.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

23 Messi 5

Ronaldo 41 Messi 16

Ronaldo 12 Messi 0

I'm shocked...

Away goals since 2013 knockout stage is wrong as Messi scored against Arsenaal twice and Chelsea away in 2016 and 2018

Ritchie

Messi's always struggled in the quarter finals of the CL for some reason over the last decade or so. Whether it's the timing of the schedule (usually just after March internationals back from South America) or what.

Last 16 he's usually very strong and Barca usually always have had tough ties. Messi the key reason Barca have always got through this round.

When he's actually got there he's been good in the semis (Liverpool first leg, Bayern first leg). Those performances alone should have carried Barca to the final and the Bayern one did.

FinBarcelonafan

City will have to change a lot of their game with Messi... less pressing from front, less ability to counter with pace, most likely less crosses into box and KDB less of a focus.

They will have his ability on ball and less of the misses vs Lyon proving pivotal.

Be interesting to see how works v top teams.

They will continue to smash goals v smaller sides and Messi will def rack up good numbers.

Yep, City would need very fast/quick defense AND very high work ethic midfielders (three Kantes) to pull of high pressure with Messi. Similar to what Bayern did vs us.. BUT high pressure only works if everyone press. Messi will cause them a lot of tactical trouble. Messi will try to slow down the game too much imo. We'll see.. I doubt they will win CL if they play careless defense again.

Pep needs to fix the defense. No question.

Rory

why does everyone always leave off the round of 16 which is still a knockout in these? Is it because it boosts Messi's numbers and doesn't help the narrative?

btw I know ronaldo has been superior in the UCL from 2013-2018. Prior to that Messi was king whilst also winning in 14/15, 2018/2019 season messi is top scorer by twice the amount of ronaldo whilst ronaldo goes out to ajax, this season ronaldo out to lyon, Messi out to bayern.

ManusXavi

Messi will return one day for a match at the camp Nou (or multiple matches) with the FC Barcelona Legends team. That kind of a celebration just wouldn't be the same.

FinBarcelonafan

why does everyone always leave off the round of 16 which is still a knockout in these? Is it because it boosts Messi's numbers and doesn't help the narrative?

btw I know ronaldo has been superior in the UCL from 2013-2018. Prior to that Messi was king whilst also winning in 14/15, 2018/2019 season messi is top scorer by twice the amount of ronaldo whilst ronaldo goes out to ajax, this season ronaldo out to lyon, Messi out to bayern.

Personally I think Messis game is not as well suited versus the best defenses in the world. He is easier to shutdown because he slows the game down too much and opponent can go into good defensive position again. Also Messi is no threat heading wise. Ronaldo is always a threat if there's any crosses to box.

So Ronaldo will always get good passes because the presence in the box. Messi has to dribble past couple players to score a goal vs the best defens in the world. Not easy task!

Round 16 is usually a weak opponent

BBZ8800

Ronaldo has been far superior in CL across past few years.

Folk will be in denial and give every excuse under sun for it but the gap has been big.

Messi better domestically.

CL
Cr7: 5
Messi: 3

CL KO matches
Cr7>Messi

CL KO away matches
Everyone>Messi

NT:
Cr7: 1
Messi: 0

NT KO matches
Iirc:
CR7: 3 goals
Messi: 0 in whole career

La Liga:
Messi Goat
Free kicks:
Messi Goat

Fc Messi fans can count Spanish supercopa, Cdr and similar trophies.

The harsh truth is that the biggest trophies in the world are:
World cup
CL/Euros/Copa America

On the biggest stage it's 6:3 for CR7 with enormously better individual/clutch performances in the biggest matches.

My theory is: Messi's weak mental strength, espcially after 2012.
He can win only when the conditions are perfect.
One unlucky goal, one mistake, one ref's bad decision and the tie is over.
He is done at 0:1.

Once again, when Rakitic played for Croatia at a World cup 2018, he told to his NT coach Dalic: "All we need is to score for 1:0. When Messi concedes in KO matches, he puts his head down, starts to stare in empty space and touches his chin repeatedly.
If he starts to do that, more or less, the tie is over."

The same happened at all NT matches against Germany, CL away matches against Atletico 0:1, 0:2, Psg 0:4, Juve 0:3, Roma 0:3, Liverpool 0:4, Bayern 2:8.

But let's pretend that always his poor teammates are guilty.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

CL

CL KO matches
Cr7>Messi

CL KO away matches
Everyone>Messi

NT:

NT KO matches
Iirc:

La Liga:
Messi Goat
Free kicks:
Messi Goat

World cup
CL/Euros/Copa America

On the biggest stage it's 6:3 for CR7 with enourmously better individual/clutch performances in the biggest matches.

Once again, when Rakitic played for Croatia at a World cup 2018, he told to his NT coach Dalic: "All we need is to score for 1:0. When Messi concedes in KO matches, he puts his head down, starts to stare in empty space and touches his chin repeatedly.

The same happened at all NT matches against Germany, CL away matches against Atletico 0:1, 0:2, Psg 0:4, Juve 0:3, Roma 0:3, Liverpool 0:4, Bayern 2:8.

So true. His mentality has been his downfall for a long time.

I am not surprised though. I think Ronaldo works with multiple sports psychiatrist/psychologies to improve his mental game every week. Based on what we have seen, I doubt Messi does the same.

ItachiXXX

CL

CL KO matches
Cr7>Messi

CL KO away matches
Everyone>Messi

NT:

NT KO matches
Iirc:

La Liga:
Messi Goat
Free kicks:
Messi Goat

World cup
CL/Euros/Copa America

On the biggest stage it's 6:3 for CR7 with enourmously better individual/clutch performances in the biggest matches.

Let's pretend that football is not a TEAM sport.
Ramos or Pique >>>>> Maldini

Givenchy

CL

CL KO matches
Cr7>Messi

CL KO away matches
Everyone>Messi

NT:

NT KO matches
Iirc:

La Liga:
Messi Goat
Free kicks:
Messi Goat

World cup
CL/Euros/Copa America

sad but true

Messi has outperformed Ronaldo in CL finals though

you'll get called bitter by FC Messi but i said it many pages back; if you want to win a CL or knockout football you sign Ronaldo. Messi is the greatest league player of all time and GOAT when the conditions are in his favour. Sir Alex said Ronaldo can be put into any team and make a difference while Messi needs more of a system built around him.

Home of Barca Fans