Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Fati_Future_BallonDor

This will be an awful awful decision.

If it wasn't retired for the biggest Argentine national treasure Diego why do it now?

Also, future generations should be given the chance to carry on the legacy of the Argentine number 10s. No one thought we'd see another Diego when he retired but we got Messi to carry on that legacy, didn't we?

10 is the most popular jersey number and an inspiration for millions of kids. Let them dream about it.

I believe this entire practice of retiring numbers is absolutely ridiculous, baffling and harmful for the future of the sport.

Why kill all the romance and the buzz associated with the number 10 for the future generations?

Life moves on much faster than these 'prisoners of the moment' realise and every record gets broken.

There are plenty of other ways to show respect and thank Lionel for what he has done for Argentina.

Football fans supporting this kinda crap and then whining about the sport getting boring. :lol:

💯

soul24rage

This will be an awful awful decision.

If it wasn't retired for the biggest Argentine national treasure Diego why do it now?

Also, future generations should be given the chance to carry on the legacy of the Argentine number 10s. No one thought we'd see another Diego when he retired but we got Messi to carry on that legacy, didn't we?

10 is the most popular jersey number and an inspiration for millions of kids. Let them dream about it.

I believe this entire practice of retiring numbers is absolutely ridiculous, baffling and harmful for the future of the sport.

Why kill all the romance and the buzz associated with the number 10 for the future generations?

Life moves on much faster than these 'prisoners of the moment' realise and every record gets broken.

There are plenty of other ways to show respect and thank Lionel for what he has done for Argentina.

Football fans supporting this kinda crap and then whining about the sport getting boring. :lol:
Spot on.

khaled_a_d

Is this acreal quote? I doubt it and iirc they thought about it with Maradona but went back after realising it means one player less in big tournaments as FIFA rejected their request to use another number.

And generally I agree with Temp here, while I think Messi now is even a bigger a legend than Maradona in Argentina (maybe not as a cult hero) but the idea of retired numbers is silly tbh. The only upside of it is that it takes pressure from those who gets the number when they aren't superstars. Otherwise it is just another way to Americanise the sport

KingLeo10

Man has been resting for 3 months now basically. He will be fit and fresh for Copa America and it'll be a treat.

At his age and mileage, he needs long layoffs to show glimpses of his best. Meanwhile that tryhard is playing every game in Saudi and adding wear and tear to his body despite the Euros being only 5 months away :lol:

Morten

Man has been resting for 3 months now basically. He will be fit and fresh for Copa America and it'll be a treat.

At his age and mileage, he needs long layoffs to show glimpses of his best. Meanwhile that tryhard is playing every game in Saudi and adding wear and tear to his body despite the Euros being only 5 months away :lol:

Tbh, even Ronaldo knows he is washed and won't do much against actual opposition anymore, so he is aiming for 1000 official goals.

KingLeo10

I wonder when the Portuguese football federation will decide enough is enough and bin CR7. At this rate, it doesn't look like he'll retire from the national team until the 2026 WC (or even beyond :lol: )

Messigician

I wonder when the Portuguese football federation will decide enough is enough and bin CR7. At this rate, it doesn't look like he'll retire from the national team until the 2026 WC (or even beyond :lol: )
And why should he retire?

I do not see Eusebio, Figo or any other better player around to take his place

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I have to say he needs more rest or accept the bench role for Portugal but even Martinez said a few days ago that Ronaldo will play in starting eleven so it will be a difficult situation meow.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He will probably retire after 2026, maybe even 2024 if his performances are very bad. But from football in general he will play until 41, 1000 goals lets go siuu

Windhook

Against retiring no.10 wherever or any number. The no.10 itself is the most iconic in football as worn by Pele, Maradona, Platini, Zidane (for France), Ronaldinho and many more before and should serve as inspiration for future players. Legacy, continuation.

Home of Barca Fans