Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

malvolio

Played quite well, sharp passing which started off two of the goals, unlucky with hitting the post. Of course Bordeaux are shite so a decent game is the bare minimum. Definitely running more off the ball too. Should have brought that energy the other night.

Doesn't matter now. Seems he is not there. Either because team/tactics doesn't suit him or he is jaded and a mental wreck.

I refuse to believe he is finished. Could still do a job in other circumstances. But I guess his only goal left in his career is that world cup.

KingLeo10

Played quite well, sharp passing which started off two of the goals, unlucky with hitting the post. Of course Bordeaux are shite so a decent game is the bare minimum. Definitely running more off the ball too. Should have brought that energy the other night.

Messi in his prime is easy GOAT, but my only gripe with him through his career has been that there are a few instances where he could have absolutely gone bonkers with his effort. But he is very unpredictable in which games he goes all out in and which games he doesn't.

Rory

Messi in his prime is easy GOAT, but my only gripe with him through his career has been that there are a few instances where he could have absolutely gone bonkers with his effort. But he is very unpredictable in which games he goes all out in and which games he doesn't.

Yeah it’s poor of him really to let his effort drop. Must just be the way his head works. Often drawbacks to being a genius at something. Ronnie O’Sullivan in snooker for example, let’s things get to him and ends up losing despite being able to beat any player with either hand.

KingLeo10

Yeah it’s poor of him really to let his effort drop. Must just be the way his head works. Often drawbacks to being a genius at something. Ronnie O’Sullivan in snooker for example, let’s things get to him and ends up losing despite being able to beat any player with either hand.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is a great example. In tennis, I would say Federer. There's no way the tennis GOAT debate should be that close considering the talent advantage Roger has on Novak and Nadal (who are still both enormously talented but their main claim to fame is mental strength and hard work).

Rory

Doesn't matter now. Seems he is not there. Either because team/tactics doesn't suit him or he is jaded and a mental wreck.

I refuse to believe he is finished. Could still do a job in other circumstances. But I guess his only goal left in his career is that world cup.

PSG was a poor choice really. They’ve relied on counter attacks and quick transitions for years. That’s just not how A 34 year old Messi is going to play. He might be able to muster something for the World Cup but I can’t see him doing much at club level from now on.

malvolio

PSG was a poor choice really. They’ve relied on counter attacks and quick transitions for years. That’s just not how A 34 year old Messi is going to play. He might be able to muster something for the World Cup but I can’t see him doing much at club level from now on.

Yeah, league is also hard for 34 year old Messi, from the physicality perspective. Would have fared better in England, but City was only option.

khaled_a_d

My main issue wasn't the effort, it is the combination of effort + deciding to be a playmaker.
I think the smart choice for him was remain as goal scorer rather than a playmaker, the former is far easier to hide your lack of effort

Kul_z

Bring him home. He needs to play xaviball not whatever the fuck they play in qsg. Two times he gets the ball in front of defence, two goals. Those qsg scmucks dont use him properly.

fergus90

Maybe he’s just at the age where he needs to sit some games out. A lot of the time he looks okay on the ball, but he’s physically obviously on a steep decline. I don’t think going to PSG was a particularly ideal situation, but realistically what other options did he have?

I don’t think City would have taken him personally at this point in his career.

malvolio

Maybe he’s just at the age where he needs to sit some games out. A lot of the time he looks okay on the ball, but he’s physically obviously on a steep decline. I don’t think going to PSG was a particularly ideal situation, but realistically what other options did he have?

I don’t think City would have taken him personally at this point in his career.

Probably City would have been only option, from a sporting perspective. But you never know, maybe he wouldn't have felt well even there. Best option would have been 2 more years in Barcelona and retire after the World Cup, in 2023.

JamDav1982

Pep never wanted Messi at City in last couple years and cant blame the fans for booing him.

When pay that kind of money and he more or less gives up in CL and just stares at floor after a poor season no wonder fans are frustrated.

Ridiculous if Barca tried to take him back.

Can see it though for his name and trying to appease fans when dont sign Haaland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans