Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLeo10

He is playing relatively well...but he needs to up his physical conditioning when the WC in Qatar nears. His technique is still quite good but he totally lacks any pace and physical edge.

Argentina have a solid team and he needs to give every ounce he has left for the WC. Could be a fairytale ending.

Rassvet

He's proving me right. Didn't watch the match but reaction on reddit and twitter seems like he was quite good.

Just points to what I've been saying that his form falling off a cliff this season at PSG is because he has turned out to be much more of a system player rather than him suffering some sort of rapid decline as a player over the last several months.

soul24rage

He's proving me right. Didn't watch the match but reaction on reddit and twitter seems like he was quite good.

Just points to what I've been saying that his form falling off a cliff this season at PSG is because he has turned out to be much more of a system player rather than him suffering some sort of rapid decline as a player over the last several months.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "system player", but considering his age and his physical conditioning, think it's only logical he is more reliant on the players surrounding him with his physical decline.

Anyways, 30th match unbeaten for the albiceleste.

KingLeo10

Or it could also be he gives more of an effort for Argentina than he does Ligue 1 in PSG. His Copa America effort last season for example was far above the beginning of 20/21 where he was unhappy he wasn't allowed to leave.

He's still experiencing physical decline but he definitely picks and chooses where he tries more. Unfortunately, the level of CL these days is above NT level so even the effort he puts in for Argentina is not enough to compensate for the physical decline. But I know he still has more in the tank to give. I just hope he gives everything in Qatar. The European teams are mostly meh, and Argentina might be able to sneak a final run or even the trophy.

Temptation

Ofcourse he'll give his 110% in Qatar even if that causes him physical fatigue.

And Argentina are definitely one of the favourites. Most teams don't have as much cohesion and team spirit. These kind of terms might sound cringe or like "pashun merchant" but the quality of International Football is shite so these things are vital. Maybe sometimes even more than the technical side of things.

A lot of it is about grinding out results and Argentina are one of the best at it currently.

What Messi needs to do in the World Cup more than his all round game is effectiveness and decisiveness in the final third. His end product can decide many games. Argentina will play very low scoring games.

What remains to be seen is if Messi is prepared well enough. This French League spell might mean he isn't in good enough match fitness or sharpness. This is kind of a semi sabbatical at this point.

FinBarcelonafan

Ofcourse he'll give his 110% in Qatar even if that causes him physical fatigue.

And Argentina are definitely one of the favourites. Most teams don't have as much cohesion and team spirit. These kind of terms might sound cringe or like "pashun merchant" but the quality of International Football is shite so these things are vital. Maybe sometimes even more than the technical side of things.

A lot of it is about grinding out results and Argentina are one of the best at it currently.

What Messi needs to do in the World Cup more than his all round game is effectiveness and decisiveness in the final third. His end product can decide many games. Argentina will play very low scoring games.

What remains to be seen is if Messi is prepared well enough. This French League spell might mean he isn't in good enough match fitness or sharpness. This is kind of a semi sabbatical at this point.

Wise words

Overall international football it about not conceding easy goals and winning the decisive penalties.

Rassvet

They play Italy and Brazil in June iirc so that will be a proper test as the copa final was their only match against a top team since 2019. At least until then, I stand by the idea that they won't fare well vs better teams even if they are stronger than in 2018.

Jadentheman

They play Italy and Brazil in June iirc so that will be a proper test as the copa final was their only match against a top team since 2019. At least until then, I stand by the idea that they won't fare well vs better teams even if they are stronger than in 2018.

You mean the same Italy that lost to Macedonia and failed to qualify for the WC? :lol:

KingLeo10

If he was 20-29 and switched leagues/systems, we would have a better idea of whether he is a system player or not.

But when you're making definitive judgements on a Messi who switched teams/leagues/systems after 80,000 minutes on his legs and 34 years of age, you simply cannot isolate the poorer performance at PSG to him being a system player. It is a possibility but there is too much confounding by age and attrition to make a definitive call.

But then again, Rassvet isn't exactly known for being anything other than a troll/agenda driven.

Just like he will discount Italy not even qualifying for the last 2 WCs but use the Euro 2020 win as a true barometer of their level. Even simple tabulation (2 WC no shows, 1 trophy) tells you their true level is not among the top 4-5 sides in the world over the last few years.

Meanwhile, Argentine haven't lost in 30 games over 3-4 years and they're a bum team. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans