Luis Enrique

F

Flavia

The midfield was again a mess. Against atletico this will be extremely problematic.

JamDav1982

The midfield was again a mess. Against atletico this will be extremely problematic.

I thought the midfield looked a lot better.

Roberto, Masch and Rakitic were all mobile and worked hard, kept it simple and gave it to the forward players. They gave the front three a platform to perform.

Rakitic had some shocking moments but Masch and Roberto did all they needed to do.

F

Flavia

I thought the midfield looked a lot better.

Roberto, Masch and Rakitic were all mobile and worked hard, kept it simple and gave it to the forward players. They gave the front three a platform to perform.

Rakitic had some shocking moments but Masch and Roberto did all they needed to do.

That was elche, and I still saw many flaws. And we know the midfield will be another against atletico. Busi back, Iniesta too, and maybe Rakitic.

JamDav1982

That was elche, and I still saw many flaws. And we know the midfield will be another against atletico. Busi back, Iniesta too, and maybe Rakitic.

Granted it was Elche but a lot of the basic things that looked problems in previous games were amended.

Nothing that Messi, Suarez or Neymar did tonight gets played down due to it being Elche so lets give all the other players the same chance.

Agree though unlikely to see this type of midfield on Sunday.

footyfan

Calma, calma
The question is if changing lineups necessarily kills the cohesiveness of a team, not Pep vs. Lucho. Which it shouldn't unless Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta turning into Busquets-Rakitic-Iniesta or Pedro-Suarez-Messi turning into Neymar-Suarez-Messi is confusing the hell out of this squad. :rolleyes: The only big changes I saw this season were the unusual formation against PSG at home, the double pivot against Valencia and Mathieu playing at leftback against Madrid (which everyone, including myself, wanted to see: "HERP DERP, ginger Abidal", remember?). Everything else are minor like-for-like rotations. "x lineups in y games" is just a sorry excuse for individual players not performing. They won't perform if they are forced into the same lineup 10 consecutives games either. Iniesta didn't perform under Tata either apart from a few select games. What's with the short time memory: http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/11502-What-is-the-reason-for-Iniesta-s-recent-drop-in-form

November 2013.

I don't even like the guy but some of the criticism is beyond any logic.

I agree that some of the criticism levelled against him can be very irrelevant (Messi playing at CB/RB based off one screen-shot, rotating lineups etc.) but I don't think he has contributed to Barca's progression to the knockouts or their current 2nd place in the table. I'd put his contributions at the same level as Alves' or Pique's. This is where most of the frustration arises from for Barca fans.

I mean, compared to Tata, he has an uninjured (and 10x better) Messi, a more-integrated Neymar, the best CF in the world and more defensive re-inforcements, yet this team is quite a bit poorer than Tata's.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Ursegor, do you think the squad hasn't been strengthened compare to the last season? Or if it has do the team play any better than last season? Do you think the inability to make only one real danger against a poor Sociedad team was down to the players or the wrong line-up and tactics? Do you think all that space between the lines in El Clasico wasn't by any chance a structural issue? Do you think the squad is not good enough to even be able to beat Celta Vigo in Camp Nou?

Ursegor

World Champion
Ursegor, do you think the squad hasn't been strengthened compare to the last season?

Stronger upfront although it doesn't show yet because Suarez hasn't fully settled. Neymar only really started converting regularly after a whole season at Barca so expect the same with Suarez. Has been a slow starter in all his clubs:

At Ajax 10 goals in his first 29 games. Before he left Ajax 42 goals in his last 46 games. Liverpool 15 goals in his first 44 games. Before he left Liverpool 31 goals in his last 33 games.

Just because he is the best striker in the world on paper doesn't mean he must start firing on all cyclinders and if he doesn't the coach is responsible. He has missed enough chances to be on double figures already. That's on him and solely on him. He needs time, that's all.

Better depth in defense with 2 reliable goalkeepers + Mathieu and Bartra more experienced. Although not a big difference compared to Pique-Mascherano last season quality wise, just better depth.

Midfield: Xavi got another year older, Iniesta continues to decline, Sergi Roberto and Rafinha are kids and they aren't Verratti or Isco talent level kids. So basically all hope in central midfield is Rakitic who is playing worse than Cesc. If I say this you know it's bad. Again nothing to do with tactics or coaching. He attempted a throughball today and it went 20 yards out of the field. Coach's fault my ass (well, maybe for buying him in the first place if it was his decision that is): The midfield is worse. I still can't grasp how people blame "we have no midfield" on the coach. The quality is not there. How much more obvious can this get?

Oh, yes, let's also not forget Alves' continous decline.

Or if it has do the team play any better than last season?

The team plays much better defense and has much better pressing. This is reflected in goals conceded as well as Bravo's save statistics. He averages 1.59 saves per game. Under Tata Valdes had to make 2.31 saves per game. That's 30 % less shots Bravo is facing on goal. Defensive statistics are 3th best in Europe. Only Bayern are better but they also play in a Mickey Mouse league. Bravo is conceding 0.47 goals per game. Valdes conceded 0.81 goals per game.

Going forward not as fluid yet as under Tata. Most of that is down to Suarez ruining a lot of attacks with bad touches and non existent creativity from midfield. Mainly non existent creativity from midfield.

Do you think the inability to make only one real danger against a poor Sociedad team was down to the players or the wrong line-up and tactics?

It was down to Barca losing or drawing against Real Sociedad at Anoeta since the Rijkaard days. lol No rational explanation. Barca never win there. La Real have beaten Atletico and Real Madrid at home this season, too. It happens. The right side being Munir-Montoya and the left side Pedro didn't help. With Messi and Neymar and Alves starting might have gotten something out of the game. That lineup wasn't the most glorious decision of Lucho, for sure.

Do you think all that space between the lines in El Clasico wasn't by any chance a structural issue?

Mate. If you paid attention Lucho was SCREAMING on the sidelines and signaling to be more compact in the Clasico. I would have been worried if here were oblivious to it but he clearly isn't. There is a difference between theory and execution though. Do you remember Mourinho's first Clasico? Obviously you do, who doesn't? It was the 13th matchday yet his team was still all over the place. Like HISTORICALLY all over the place. Do you also remember 6 months later in the Copa del Rey final and how the organization of his team changed? Once again: time. You guys are judging a manager who hasn't even had half a season yet. Who cares about structural problems in El Clasico? It was the 9th game of the season. Even then 2 goals were completely avoidable individual mistakes by Pique and Iniesta and the 3th was a set piece which is hard to defend against against Pepe, Ramos and Co. Even Simeone's thugs almost conceded from a Ramos header yesterday.

Do you think the squad is not good enough to even be able to beat Celta Vigo in Camp Nou?

lol These freak games happen all the time. Remember the Valencia collapse last season? If not I will help you out:

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Good post Ursegor. I still have my doubts about Enrique. But you know, seeing as how we literally have no good options that would want to come here just to be a 5 month caretaker, maybe we should let Enrique continue and see how it plays out. If he proves to be incompetent, then fine, the new board will fire him. If he proves to be good, then it'll be a good surprise for us all.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
lol These freak games happen all the time. Remember the Valencia collapse last season? If not I will help you out:

I think the Valladolid game that we lost 1-0 is a more apt example of this type of freak game, since Valencia are a good side. But this is a good example too.

khaled_a_d

Stronger upfront although it doesn't show yet because Suarez hasn't fully settled. Neymar only really started converting regularly after a whole season at Barca so expect the same with Suarez. Has been a slow starter in all his clubs:

At Ajax 10 goals in his first 29 games. Before he left Ajax 42 goals in his last 46 games. Liverpool 15 goals in his first 44 games. Before he left Liverpool 31 goals in his last 33 games.

Just because he is the best striker in the world on paper doesn't mean he must start firing on all cyclinders and if he doesn't the coach is responsible. He has missed enough chances to be on double figures already. That's on him and solely on him. He needs time, that's all.

Better depth in defense with 2 reliable goalkeepers + Mathieu and Bartra more experienced. Although not a big difference compared to Pique-Mascherano last season quality wise, just better depth.

Midfield: Xavi got another year older, Iniesta continues to decline, Sergi Roberto and Rafinha are kids and they aren't Verratti or Isco talent level kids. So basically all hope in central midfield is Rakitic who is playing worse than Cesc. If I say this you know it's bad. Again nothing to do with tactics or coaching. He attempted a throughball today and it went 20 yards out of the field. Coach's fault my ass (well, maybe for buying him in the first place if it was his decision that is): The midfield is worse. I still can't grasp how people blame "we have no midfield" on the coach. The quality is not there. How much more obvious can this get?

Oh, yes, let's also not forget Alves' continous decline.

The team plays much better defense and has much better pressing. This is reflected in goals conceded as well as Bravo's save statistics. He averages 1.59 saves per game. Under Tata Valdes had to make 2.31 saves per game. That's 30 % less shots Bravo is facing on goal. Defensive statistics are 3th best in Europe. Only Bayern are better but they also play in a Mickey Mouse league. Bravo is conceding 0.47 goals per game. Valdes conceded 0.81 goals per game.

Going forward not as fluid yet as under Tata. Most of that is down to Suarez ruining a lot of attacks with bad touches and non existent creativity from midfield. Mainly non existent creativity from midfield.

It was down to Barca losing or drawing against Real Sociedad at Anoeta since the Rijkaard days. lol No rational explanation. Barca never win there. La Real have beaten Atletico and Real Madrid at home this season, too. It happens. The right side being Munir-Montoya and the left side Pedro didn't help. With Messi and Neymar and Alves starting might have gotten something out of the game. That lineup wasn't the most glorious decision of Lucho, for sure.

Mate. If you paid attention Lucho was SCREAMING on the sidelines and signaling to be more compact in the Clasico. I would have been worried if here were oblivious to it but he clearly isn't. There is a difference between theory and execution though. Do you remember Mourinho's first Clasico? Obviously you do, who doesn't? It was the 13th matchday yet his team was still all over the place. Like HISTORICALLY all over the place. Do you also remember 6 months later in the Copa del Rey final and how the organization of his team changed? Once again: time. You guys are judging a manager who hasn't even had half a season yet. Who cares about structural problems in El Clasico? It was the 9th game of the season. Even then 2 goals were completely avoidable individual mistakes by Pique and Iniesta and the 3th was a set piece which is hard to defend against against Pepe, Ramos and Co. Even Simeone's thugs almost conceded from a Ramos header yesterday.

Very good post,I am not with Lucho and didn't like his signing from the 1st place but tbh he has to be given his fair chance ,He wasn't as awful as people making him
We could be better ,I don't like his tactics but he is a new coach and he could turn things

Ursegor

World Champion
Good post Ursegor. I still have my doubts about Enrique. But you know, seeing as how we literally have no good options that would want to come here just to be a 5 month caretaker, maybe we should let Enrique continue and see how it plays out. If he proves to be incompetent, then fine, the new board will fire him. If he proves to be good, then it'll be a good surprise for us all.

He will probably get sacked anyway after a flying Atletico expectedly wreck Barca from set pieces this Sunday. lol

I'm not exactly his fan, I was the one who labeled him Scrubrique and criticized his "wide midfielder" tactics months ago after all but I'm also not a fan of sacking coaches before giving them a whole season. Rijkaard had Barca at 12th place or something midway through his first season before going on to win 2 Ligas and 1 CL. Also I'm not oblivious to the deficiencies in the squad which are bigger than I thought so you can't blame everything on the coach.

All of this doesn't matter though. He apparently tried to discipline Messi so he will be jobless soon enough.

zoom

According to most catalan newspapers, LE is on the depart. Carme Barcelo said that LE feels alone and his project is not followed. While journalists of sport, MD, Marca, Periodista Deportivo.. confirms the intentions of depart,the relation between LE and his players is broken, he's alone and everyone is behind messi.

mssarm

Great post Ursegor. It's just sad to see that Lucho gets dirt thrown at him for every decision he makes, even for good ones. To me is beyond comprehension that some fans are happy to see Barcelona loose so Enrique can be sacked. I personally think Lucho will stay until end of the season, sacking him mid-season could be a disaster. The tension with Messi was completely expected.They are trying to establish their boundaries, Messi had a controversy even with Tata who was his father's friend. I can understand people were upset with the current board, especially with Zubi, but since the re-election is announced there's no reason for this negativity. I was glad to see that the fans at Nou Camp were in the same mood, chanting Lucho's and Messi's name. It takes time to rebuild a great team, we need to be patient.

Home of Barca Fans