Luis Enrique

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
"Luis Enrique needs to get along with the players. He was also a footballer and knows what a squad is. At the end of the season we'll see if his methods were useful or not."
"He doesn't have good communication skills. There's no dialogue with the squad and he works a lot with his staff. Every coach has a different method and this is his."

Bojan Krkic.

F

Flavia

Yes... and that's not a very good method. Players aren't robots. Talking is important. LE of all people should know that.

BerkeleyBernie

Great article about the tactics of the Atleti game: http://beautywithinfootball.com/post/107976583692/barcelona-v-atletico-madrid-3-1

Looks like Lucho does know a thing or two. :D

Not sure his comments about the midfield (in offense) are that relevant, as AM didn't really push out once Barça had possession. The point I agree with is that Rakitic providing overload was essential (the most important player/role in the match after Messi, which is why I have him as my MOTM runner-up). That was entirely a tactical decision, and crucial. The match was won 1) by the entire Barça matching AM in tenacity and intensity, *especially* Messi, 2) Messi being brilliant, and 3) the decision to use Rakitic to overload the right to give Messi more options. This was not a game to be won by beautiful goals, but by disrupting AM's defence enough to knock-in junk in the box.

The other important aspect was faster transition play, when available, notably Messi-Suarez-Neymar (missed header) and Suarez goal. This will be even more effective once Neymar stops dribble-dallying and learns to release the ball 5 seconds earlier when he is deep and has Suarez and/or Messi open.

Alarcón

"Luis Enrique needs to get along with the players. He was also a footballer and knows what a squad is. At the end of the season we'll see if his methods were useful or not."
"He doesn't have good communication skills. There's no dialogue with the squad and he works a lot with his staff. Every coach has a different method and this is his."

Bojan Krkic.

Bojan senior?

onzeXI

Bojan Krkic.

It's hard to imagine LE can change his personality to all of a sudden become comfortable with being a good communicator.

FC B

For me the game and the result vs Atletico won't change much about Lucho. We'll see pretty soon if it was a coincidence, the strong will of the players to win it or also Lucho starting to learn from his mistakes.

L

linetty

If he keeps this up then we might as well win a trophy or two.

Not sure if I want it though. It may cloud the voters judgement.

Iarwain

Finally. I thought this site died after WC.

Let's hope we'll see more of this Atletico approach this season. Move the ball faster, don't dwell on it in midfield allowing opponent to regroup/reshape at the back. Sometimes there is no need for patient build-ups when you have MSN upfront, just involve them earlier when they're not overcrowded and have space to cast their spells.

Home of Barca Fans