Luis Enrique

Kohe321

Great first half, shows that he's really on to something.

BUT, the way the team deflated mentally in the second half is on him too. I don't know what he said in the break, but he should have told them to go out there and keep doing exactly what they were doing, and be intense and not slip up the initiative. They were on a roll just before half-time, how they let that slip is beyond me.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Barca did that under pep too. A lot.
Busquets and Iniesta were main culprits tonight.

But no need to be sad. Barca got a great result, we're with one leg in quarter-final.

Kohe321

I think the reason why this is a problem for Barca (seemingly losing focus and being complacent after they score a few goals) is that compared to most other teams, Barca has three "states of play" they need to manage and master when they play, as opposed to two. Most other teams mainly have two states: one being "we have the ball, now we attack" and "now we don't have the ball, now we defend". But Barcelona also has a third state of play, and this is "how much should we control the game with passing?".

This third factor is pretty unique to Barcelona, and when the balance is mastered it's one of the things that make our club and our philosophy of play so incredibly effective and good. But it can also work as a double edged sword. That was the problem tonight going into the second half. In the first half they were on a roll, they got the balance between control and directness right, and most importantly - everyone was in sync in understanding this balance. Then comes the break, where I suspect they have been told that they can be a bit more conservative going forward. This is risky, because it can throw a wrench in the flow that the players has established between themselves in the first half - and what do you know, it happened. The result was lack of rhythm, misplaced passes because of confusion between players where they anticipated runs etc.

The players came out and it seemed like half of them wanted to continue with the "directness" needle on the speedometer at 70%, and the other half of players wanted to play at 40%. This resulted in a lack of flow and a lot of confusion between the players. The great understanding they had between eachother was muddled, and City took advantage of it and got a lot of the ball and was allowed to attack WAY too much.

I'm sorry if this came off as rambly, or is hard to make sense of. I have just celebrated our victory with a few beers. (Estrella Damm of course, from a wineglass, as a true gentleman :pep: ).

Last edited:

gatsu

Well after 2-0 the match was over, there was no need to waste more energy, so yes in the second half we've decided to adopt a more conservative approach, which is totally logical.

It was a perfect management from Lucho.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Well after 2-0 the match was over, there was no need to waste more energy, so yes in the second half we've decided to adopt a more conservative approach, which is totally logical.

It was a perfect management from Lucho.

If we had wanted to do that then Xavi should have come on to control the pace of the game.

hardyboy

He was briliant tacticaly but his substitutions were all wrong. Should've brought Xavi when they were a man down..

serghei

Yea, he subbed both Rakitic and Alves because they were on a yellow and he was probably afraid that the referee would've sent one of them off.

dakt

Subbing one of the best player on the pitch. What an idiot. Neymar was playing like shit, and he subs the guy who scored one goal and gave an assist. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Subbing one of the best player on the pitch. What an idiot. Neymar was playing like shit, and he subs the guy who scored one goal and gave an assist. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Suarez is the only Barca attacker who is in form atm, that's why it was clever from Lucho (the score was 1-3) to save Luisito for Villarreal. Lucho expects him to score there as well. That's why rested Suarez will be better than rested Neymar, in terms of the next match.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Luis Enrique: "State of the pitch? It was difficult to give three good passes in a row. Congrats to both teams for trying." #fcblive
Luis Enrique: "Suarez? Maybe now people see it more because he scores, but he has been playing at a high level from the start." #fcblive

L

linetty

Still got it

B-8qY1_VEAAVTa6.jpg

Home of Barca Fans