Luis Enrique

Ursegor

World Champion
Let me also add that back in 08/09 La Liga in general was far less potent than it is now. This is undeniable. We also faced much weaker opponents in the CL that year (Basel, Donetsk, Sporting, Lyon and a weak Bayern.

Something that isn't emphasized enough. La Liga as well as European football has become a lot more competitive at the top. Real in the Clownderon era with the likes of Gago, Metzelder, Drenthe, Guti, van der Vaart, Diarra, grandpa Raul ... Compared to 2015 that's maybe Sevilla level stuff. Accordingly 78 points was enough to win the league in Barca's treble season (which is Barca's current point tally with 6 more games to go). Europe was dominated by Chelsea and United at the time. The former beaten by a miracle last second goal, the latter trying to take the game to Barca with a Carrick, Jii-Sung Park, Anderson midfield. Such a mismatch. :lol: Competing against Ancelotti's Real Madrid and Simeone's Atletico domestically as well as Bayern in Europe is a different story right now.

StarLord

Something that isn't emphasized enough. La Liga as well as European football has become a lot more competitive at the top. Real in the Clownderon era with the likes of Gago, Metzelder, Drenthe, Guti, van der Vaart, Diarra, grandpa Raul ... Compared to 2015 that's maybe Sevilla level stuff. Accordingly 78 points was enough to win the league in Barca's treble season (which is Barca's current point tally with 6 more games to go). Europe was dominated by Chelsea and United at the time. The former beaten by a miracle last second goal, the latter trying to take the game to Barca with a Carrick, Jii-Sung Park, Anderson midfield. Such a mismatch. :lol: Competing against Ancelotti's Real Madrid and Simeone's Atletico domestically as well as Bayern in Europe is a different story right now.

MY God! That Real Madrid was soooo bad! I completely forgot about such "players" as Gago and Drenthe! Jesus! Current Sevilla would blow them out of the water I think. In 08/09 we were swatting teams aside within 15 to 20mns, it was THAT easy!

Or let me remind you of the Lyon team we faced that season, while good, compared to 2015 PSG, they were a Mickey Mouse club! And like you have pointed out, the defending European Champions back then were United with Carrick, an ageing Giggs, O'Shea, an ageing Scholes (who should have definitely been red-carded in the final) Park (!) Berbatov, etc...

Or how about the Bayern of that year! They were so bad, we had to stop giving any fucks in the 2nd half of the first leg so that the score would not be too embarrassing!

sailor

A comparaison for the first 50 games :
img_vmauri_20150419-234419_imagenes_md_propias_vmauri_lucho-mejor-entrenador-kcfD--572x1273@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

mssarm

this^^

If the players became so spoiled as to not listen to a club legend, and tough man, like Lucho I don't think outsiders would be able to handle the super stars that we have.

We are stuck with Lucho... For good or bad. I think the only way out now would be if Enrique fcuk's up really, REALLY bad! Besides, it's for every body's good that the club would back Lucho for at least another season.

Lucho is a stubborn guy and expects 100% obedience from the players. I think after the first crisis Lucho and Messi buried hatchets until the end of season, but I feel the war isn't over. The current board or the future board will have to make a decision: selling Messi is not an option so either they will sack Lucho or he will resign himself. Also he is not as charismatic as Pep , I doubt he will feel the same admiration from Barca fans. Anyway, that's me and I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

JackaL

I am relatively indifferent regarding to Lucho. The reason being that I somehow can't believe that the crisis in December was managed so perfectly. Suarez' claim tells quite something. So if Lucho learned from his mistakes, that is great, still how much respect do the players have for him? Credit where it is due, if he managed that crisis so perfectly, broke Barca's legacy of seemingless posession/passing (I loved the years under Pep, where we dominated every game and posession/passing was purposeful) and brought this team back to a squad that harmonizes together! Time will tell.

Again, even if we manage to win the triple, I don't see him as a coach we could hold on for the next couple of seasons, admitting that the Barca board does not have a perfect track record of keeping coaches. Normally I would defend any coach within his first 2-3 seasons but that thing in December left a bad aftertaste. Remember, even Mou, being known for his strength (I hate the scumbag by the way) and leadership, was not welcome anymore among the core players in Madrid; as a result, he had to go and almost had no chance against his players. If your players want you out, most of the times you are on the loosing end.

My comment may sound kinda erratic, but this is the feeling I have with Lucho. Of course I'd love the fact that everybody would respect him (again), that he manages his team perfectly and managed to overcome all challenges and leads this team to the triple (which would be a great success story). That romantic story I'd love to believe. Still, I try to see beyond that and interpret the current situation we're in.

Xtroverto

I am relatively indifferent regarding to Lucho. The reason being that I somehow can't believe that the crisis in December was managed so perfectly. Suarez' claim tells quite something. So if Lucho learned from his mistakes, that is great, still how much respect do the players have for him? Credit where it is due, if he managed that crisis so perfectly, broke Barca's legacy of seemingless posession/passing (I loved the years under Pep, where we dominated every game and posession/passing was purposeful) and brought this team back to a squad that harmonizes together! Time will tell.

Again, even if we manage to win the triple, I don't see him as a coach we could hold on for the next couple of seasons, admitting that the Barca board does not have a perfect track record of keeping coaches. Normally I would defend any coach within his first 2-3 seasons but that thing in December left a bad aftertaste. Remember, even Mou, being known for his strength (I hate the scumbag by the way) and leadership, was not welcome anymore among the core players in Madrid; as a result, he had to go and almost had no chance against his players. If your players want you out, most of the times you are on the loosing end.

My comment may sound kinda erratic, but this is the feeling I have with Lucho. Of course I'd love the fact that everybody would respect him (again), that he manages his team perfectly and managed to overcome all challenges and leads this team to the triple (which would be a great success story). That romantic story I'd love to believe. Still, I try to see beyond that and interpret the current situation we're in.

It's not a kindergarten with 5 year old kids crying for their mommy, they are adults and will sort out any indifference between them for the good of the team. In the end, everyone want to win and as long as the team is performing no player is going to question Lucho. If he win the double or the treble, sacking him would be the biggest mistake this club has made since losing Helenio Herrera 55 years ago. Real Madrid fans would have a field day the likes of which you've never seen before.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Lucho is a stubborn guy and expects 100% obedience from the players. I think after the first crisis Lucho and Messi buried hatchets until the end of season, but I feel the war isn't over. The current board or the future board will have to make a decision: selling Messi is not an option so either they will sack Lucho or he will resign himself.
This is stupid. No matter what a legend Messi is, a club shouldn't cater to the whims of it's starlets. Messi liked Tata Martino, so this means we should've kept him if he didn't resign himself, despite being too mentally weak for coaching big club like Barca?
If we keep playing like we do, Lucho should stay even if no trophies are won. Despite all the mistakes he has made, we have improved immensely compared to two years of stagnation with Tito and Tata (tit for a tat, hurr) and Messi should learn to STFU. He played much worse with Tata, whom he liked and has been blossoming again under Lucho. His crybaby attitude is hurting the team as much as his goals and assists are helping it.

Last edited:

StarLord

A comparaison for the first 50 games :
img_vmauri_20150419-234419_imagenes_md_propias_vmauri_lucho-mejor-entrenador-kcfD--572x1273@MundoDeportivo-Web.jpg

I would also emphasize yet again three major points and clarifications that are vitally relevant here:

1. Both La Liga (to a massive degree) and top level European football are superior now to what Pep had to face in his first season.

2. Pep had the much superior collection of players. The only part of the team that is now better than 08/09, is the front three, but only marginally. Since Messi/Eto'o/Henry of 08/09 was absolutely nuclear as well. The Xavi and Iniesta of 08/09 were 10 times the players of whatever we can dream of getting from our current midfield. And I am being very polite to our current midfield.

3. Lucho's big game record, pawns Pep's equivalent even more brutally.

So for me, and for what it's worth (I am not huge on this football-manager fetishism) it's: :lucho: 3 - :pep: 0

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
As much as I hate this stubborn man, as long as he improves on his tactical brainfarts, and keeps the group's (somehow without even talking to the players) cohesion in place, I'm all for him staying as changing managers yet another time would be bad, we need to build up on what we have, and try to improve the team with the future signings..

StarLord

As much as I hate this stubborn man, as long as he improves on his tactical brainfarts, and keeps the group's (somehow without even talking to the players) cohesion in place, I'm all for him staying as changing managers yet another time would be bad, we need to build up on what we have, and try to improve the team with the future signings..

Why would any Barca fan hate:

a) A former player and club legend.

b) Our current manager

c) A guy who has exceeded expectations

d) Found the cajones to change our dogmatic and ultimately stale approach to the game.

e) Has us favorites for all three comps we are taking part in.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I don't like arrogant people that's all, and everytime I see him my blood starts boiling..

Also, he made some mistakes more than once or twice, I don't know how you can do that at this level, and up to this day the team doesn't transmit confidence, every game we show a new face, and win thanx to messi suarez or neymar.

I don't like that he doesn't play to the players because he thinks he's better than them.

I could go on .. but may be I have a too personal approach to all this.

I

instinct

I don't like arrogant people that's all, and everytime I see him my blood starts boiling..

Also, he made some mistakes more than once or twice, I don't know how you can do that at this level, and up to this day the team doesn't transmit confidence, every game we show a new face, and win thanx to messi suarez or neymar.

I don't like that he doesn't play to the players because he thinks he's better than them.

Where do I start...

We win games not only because of MSN. Pique? Mathieu? Rakitic? Xavi? Mascherano? Busquets? All of the players who played here last season made a step forward again apart from Iniesta who seems to not fit well into the system but his personal decline is clear as day as well.

''He thinks he is better than them'' What? How can you make such a statement without even knowing him, his thoughts or the players. You're sitting in front of your computer and make such a ridiculous claim as if you were Lucho's wife or one of the players. But you probably take your information from several trustworthy sources like MD and Sport...

Everyone makes mistakes. The only thing you can do is to fix them immediately and that's what he did several times throughout this season.

What else?

xavi_the_Boss

You can´t be serious.

Home of Barca Fans