Luis Enrique

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He needs to get the situation with our subs sorted out NOW. We can't be even remotely close to a situation like this come February with crucial matches and smart rotation needed.

Our best lineup as of now is: Bravo- Alves, Pique, Masche, Alba- Rakitic, Busquets, Iniesta- Messi, Suarez, Neymar

Practically 0 dispute there and that lineup is the best in world football. However we seem to turn to crap the moment we lose a few of those players. That's more than worrying considering the density of our schedule this year. Lucho needs to have a very set rotation system. He himself said that we seem to go bad if we're not at 100%. If he understands that, why is he shoving ALL of those problematic bench players into the starting lineup at once? It makes no sense to me. Even if the players are less than ideal, we can make do with this bench if he's conservative and smart about it.

Bench*: MAtS, Mathieu, Arda, Vidal, Roberto, Rafinha, Sandro

*: by the time the transfer ban is lifted, expecting Pedro to be gone.

To me, this is the best 7 man bench we can come up with but even then it has to be handled correctly.
-Sandro should be our go-to supersub for the attack with Rafinha/Vidal as versatile options, which is pretty decent IMO.
-Our CM rotator should be Arda primarily and Rafinha secondarily. Also, Rafinha should only be trusted when next to two complementing and starting midfielders (like Rakitic and Busquets).
-Our CDM rotator should be Roberto. I can't stand Masche there, he's a complete travesty.
-Our RB rotator is Vidal and Roberto if needed. Our LB rotator is Mathieu (bad situation, LB is clearly our weakest position)
-CB rotator is Mathieu first and VERY sporadically: Bartra/Verm (same as Rafinha case, neither of those two should play unless next to 3 starting defenders or in the case of some ridiculous injury crisis).

No more of throwing out 8 unreliable bench players together, some of which are in their worst positions. Even if there was only a 3 day recovery, he could've done with playing a few of the starters today and then resting them on monday to play the other group of starters. Today's back 6 is the kind you play against a fucking 3rd division team in the CDR, not against a team as great as Athletic (especially at San Mames).

F

Flavia

Yes it's a risk, but that's why he's the coach, to make them. Missing half the squad is even bigger gamble IMO. He could have manage playing time, by starting standard 11, securing the result (1:0, 1:1) and then making subs with fresh players.
Or some other playing time strategy.

He took a risk today. He prioritized the league, and risked a result like today's. Seeing we'll play the 1st liga match in Bilbao too, I don't think he made a mistake. Of course that game can also be lost, and all he did could be in vain.
But 3 points in San Mames are very important too.

He might have had faith on those players, and thought they would do better. One thing that is worrying me, is how leaky the defense is. Similar personnel, 2 months ago, it was rock solid. Midfield has no depth, it's a fact. But I wasn't expecting the defense to be so bad. Even without Alba.

dakt

He needs to get the situation with our subs sorted out NOW. We can't be even remotely close to a situation like this come February with crucial matches and smart rotation needed.

Our best lineup as of now is: Bravo- Alves, Pique, Masche, Alba- Rakitic, Busquets, Iniesta- Messi, Suarez, Neymar

Practically 0 dispute there and that lineup is the best in world football. However we seem to turn to crap the moment we lose a few of those players. That's more than worrying considering the density of our schedule this year. Lucho needs to have a very set rotation system. He himself said that we seem to go bad if we're not at 100%. If he understands that, why is he shoving ALL of those problematic bench players into the starting lineup at once? It makes no sense to me. Even if the players are less than ideal, we can make do with this bench if he's conservative and smart about it.

Bench*: MAtS, Mathieu, Arda, Vidal, Roberto, Rafinha, Sandro

*: by the time the transfer ban is lifted, expecting Pedro to be gone.

To me, this is the best 7 man bench we can come up with but even then it has to be handled correctly.
-Sandro should be our go-to supersub for the attack with Rafinha/Vidal as versatile options, which is pretty decent IMO.
-Our CM rotator should be Arda primarily and Rafinha secondarily. Also, Rafinha should only be trusted when next to two complementing and starting midfielders (like Rakitic and Busquets).
-Our CDM rotator should be Roberto. I can't stand Masche there, he's a complete travesty.
-Our RB rotator is Vidal and Roberto if needed. Our LB rotator is Mathieu (bad situation, LB is clearly our weakest position)
-CB rotator is Mathieu first and VERY sporadically: Bartra/Verm (same as Rafinha case, neither of those two should play unless next to 3 starting defenders or in the case of some ridiculous injury crisis).

No more of throwing out 8 unreliable bench players together, some of which are in their worst positions. Even if there was only a 3 day recovery, he could've done with playing a few of the starters today and then resting them on monday to play the other group of starters. Today's back 6 is the kind you play against a fucking 3rd division team in the CDR, not against a team as great as Athletic (especially at San Mames).

Can we close today's disaster with this one? Great post, mate.

dakt

He took a risk today. He prioritized the league, and risked a result like today's. Seeing we'll play the 1st liga match in Bilbao too, I don't think he made a mistake. Of course that game can also be lost, and all he did could be in vain.
But 3 points in San Mames are very important too.

He might have had faith on those players, and thought they would do better. One thing that is worrying me, is how leaky the defense is. Similar personnel, 2 months ago, it was rock solid. Midfield has no depth, it's a fact. But I wasn't expecting the defense to be so bad. Even without Alba.

I don't think he knew he was risking such a embarrassing loss. If he did, then he's just stupid.

Stric

I don't think he knew he was risking such a embarrassing loss. If he did, then he's just stupid.

True.

He wasn't "prioritizing the league". Anyone who thinks he consciously went into the Supercup to lose is delusional. All he did was rest his tired players for the second leg. And that's fair enough. One could argue against it, but it definitely makes sense. But he wasn't expecting such a huge loss, which means he overestimated his lineup and/or underestimated Bilbao. And to be fair, there were many individual errors. But you always have to count on those.

F

Flavia

True.

He wasn't "prioritizing the league". Anyone who thinks he consciously went into the Supercup to lose is delusional. All he did was rest his tired players for the second leg. And that's fair enough. One could argue against it, but it definitely makes sense. But he wasn't expecting such a huge loss, which means he overestimated his lineup and/or underestimated Bilbao. And to be fair, there were many individual errors. But you always have to count on those.

He didn't go to win, not with that lineup. He was probably expecting to lose by 2-1, and then finishing at camp nou. But it's clear he saved the players, and the only reason he has to do that is the league.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
San Mames is one of the most intense stadiums in all of Europe and Athletic Bilbao improved a lot in the second half of the season. Even if Lucho wanted to rotate our starters he should have atleast kept Pique and Busi in the lineup.

Would have at the very least added some leadership and WC qualities in the defence and midfield which was severely lacking. Mascherano is a great player, but he shouldn't play in the midfield for us. He might be a great DM for Argentina, but it's just not working for us. Almost every time he has played in that position he has been underwhelming to say the least...

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
True.

I agree, he disrespected Bilbao or (ridiculously) overrated the line.. we were never gonna win with that line-up, San Mames is already difficult with the best 11, this was the worst 11 he sent in.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
He didn't go to win, not with that lineup. He was probably expecting to lose by 2-1, and then finishing at camp nou. But it's clear he saved the players, and the only reason he has to do that is the league.

No Flavia, he taught he could manage a draw or a 2-1 with that line-up, a manager shouldn't be that dellusional with roberto/rafinha/bartra/adriano/vermaelen/pedro all on the pitch at the same time.

rest 3 key players why not, just to be clear, i'm completely pro-rotations, but not that many, that's just stupid.

But anyway, everyone will see it as he'll want to, I'm honestly disgusted, but not that surprised, lucho playing masterminds again.. we've been through this already, and it went very badly up until he STOPPED doing it.. this is a trophy, LaLiga still has the levante, getafe and other easy teams to rotate.

Stric

I wouldn't be so sure. Bilbao has an even worse injury situation, that might have led him on to think he could take them with that lineup. But either way, resting the players tonight isn't prioritizing the league, it's prioritizing the second leg.

Home of Barca Fans