Luis Enrique

jamrock

Eusebio?. SMH

Going by that criteria, koeman should be our next coach and will be absolutely amazing, if that's the criteria

khaled_a_d

We were blessed with the golden generation since Rijkaard and having a coach that can take full advantage of this La Masia generation was and still very important since we might not be lucky to have such players. So, one or two bad seasons is considered a disaster and an opportunity loss. Why Barca didn’t gave another chance to Tata? He was really close to win titles and if he had players like Suarez, Raki, Bravo etc. he could have won. You can lose titles but playing bad tactics/football the whole season is not acceptable especially knowing Messi and his generation are aging,

Tata was already losing the dressing room,probably midway through the season. As I stated that is one of the things I believe coach shouldn't be given a chance if it happens.That goes for Lucho too btw.
Tata didn't achieve anything with the team to warrant giving him more opportunity unlike Lucho.
And nothing is guaranteed in football,it isn't like we won't take a risk if he leaves and some one new came.
Unlike most people I think coaching this team is one of the toughest coaching jobs you can get. Because as your example Tata himself said it is a place where 2nd place is a failure. Too much expectations,too much egos,too much pressure no matter how gr8 the talent you have.
You aren't gonna be successful here without being a really top notch coach.
Simply I think a new coach is even bigger risk than sticking with Lucho one more year.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't see how Valverde and Eusebio are ahead of Marcelino, Sampaoli.

Unless the only criteria is being a former Barça player.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

LOL at all the people who so desperately want Xavi to be the coach. Did you guys forget how stubborn he is? He only knows Tiki- Taka and refuses to play any other type of football. I recall a few times where he made ridiculous statements after a loss. I recall during the Chelsea loss of 2012 he said something along the lines of "we may have lost, but we dominated possession and had more passes." Also during the Tata years, he was very unhappy with how much counter attacking football we played.

He is an amazing player and one of the best mids in the history of the game, but not sure how he will do as a coach. Tiki-taka has been figured out by most teams now. No way we can go back to playing Pep type football unless we get another golden La Masia generation.

Like, Chelsea 2012 was pure thievery. If fucking Sanchez knew how to finish or Villa hadn't fucked his ankle in Club WC that season, probably would have gone through. Not to mention Messi's PK miss. It wasn't ridiculous for him to be salty about that one because we were clearly the better team in both legs. Ramires' and Drogba's goals were completely against the run of play.

Next, like how can you definitively say tiki-taka is dead when both us and Pep have had recent success playing possession heavy football. Just because we counter occasionally doesn't mean we don't play tiki-taka anymore and Xavi recently has praised Lucho's Barça on several occasions so while Xavi is stubborn, he's not dumb and most importantly, he knows the strategic side of the game inside and out. There is this myth persisting that Lucho and Pep's Barça are so different when they really aren't.

He's not ready yet but I think Xavi will tick a lot of boxes we want in a coach once he's in with the B team. Time will tell but he was always a continuation of the coach on the field and I think in particular with development, he could find a team oriented system for us to transition to post-Messi, which will most likely be the scenario he will find himself in if he does get a shot at the 1st team.

khaled_a_d

Eusebio?. SMH

Going by that criteria, koeman should be our next coach and will be absolutely amazing, if that's the criteria

He is good coach and it is time for people to recognize that.
Koeman is another candidate for sure,although having the guy who told the club to sell Puyol to Betis because he will never be good enough for 1st team irritates me. :lol:

khaled_a_d

I don't see how Valverde and Eusebio are ahead of Marcelino, Sampaoli.

Unless the only criteria is being a former Barça player.

Being former Barca player has been always a huge advantage,let's not pretend it isn't man.
And Valverde has been always one of the top candidates for the club,you gotta think that he will get the job at the end.Eusebio is doing impressive job right now,remain to be seen how it ends but with solid relation with club and 3 of his 3.5 years with Barca B was considered success at least result wise he is surely a candidate.
Marcelino clashing with Villarreal board,Sampaoli lack of any experience in Europe up until this season probably won't make them more convincing over any of those guys.All remain to be seen obviously but this is how I see it.

serghei

There is this myth persisting that Lucho and Pep's Barça are so different when they really aren't.

There are some major things that are different imo. Fundamental things for Pep's Barelona that are just absent or present in very low concentrations in Luis Enrique's Barca.

Richard.H

Like, Chelsea 2012 was pure thievery. If fucking Sanchez knew how to finish or Villa hadn't fucked his ankle in Club WC that season, probably would have gone through. Not to mention Messi's PK miss. It wasn't ridiculous for him to be salty about that one because we were clearly the better team in both legs. Ramires' and Drogba's goals were completely against the run of play.

Next, like how can you definitively say tiki-taka is dead when both us and Pep have had recent success playing possession heavy football. Just because we counter occasionally doesn't mean we don't play tiki-taka anymore and Xavi recently has praised Lucho's Barça on several occasions so while Xavi is stubborn, he's not dumb and most importantly, he knows the strategic side of the game inside and out. There is this myth persisting that Lucho and Pep's Barça are so different when they really aren't.

They are different. You can say otherwise but it's different. The passing is not focused on triangles anymore. We pass to open spaces now. The triangle was the biggest part of the Pep tiki taka. We don't fully rely on the mid now (nor in the 2015 treble season). Messi was not the central part of the attack under Lucho's winning seasons. The attack is more shared now as opposed to Pep's time.

The DM role isn't even the same. Busquets thrived under Pep because he was given more freedom. Under Lucho, the DM role is much more traditional and now he has Rakitic alongside him acting like a DM/CM hybrid.

Also, Lucho utilizes the wings WAY more than Pep ever did. In fact most success under Lucho's tenure came from attacks on the wing. With Pep we nearly always played through the middle because our passing was that hypnotizing. The passing channels under the Pep system was also a much shorter distance. Keeping very close space between the mids and the attackers was another huge highlight of the Pep Tiki Taka. Shorter passing range = easier to play tiki taka. Just compare this to Lucho attacks: A lot come from counter attacks or big passes to MSN who then create something.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with that sentence. They are fundamentally different coaches. However, they have both utilized their squads to their fullest strengths. Lucho with the focus on our starpower attack, and Pep with the focus on the La Masia star mids.

Last edited:

Richard.H

Next, like how can you definitively say tiki-taka is dead when both us and Pep have had recent success playing possession heavy football.

Success in Bayern? Success in Man City? Truth is Pep was able to play tiki- taka because he had a squad that was capable of doing it. Do you have any idea how taxing it is to play that style? The players have to basically read eachother's minds to do one touch passing so accurately and precisely.

We aren't going to be able to play that peak tiki-taka style with the current La Masia generation. Out of all of the young mids, Rafinha is the only one who even has a decent first touch comparable to Xavi or Iniesta.

Playing a subpar tiki-taka is worse than playing Chelsea ugly football.

They are different. You can say otherwise but it's different. The passing is not focused on triangles anymore. We pass to open spaces now. The triangle was the biggest part of the Pep tiki taka. We don't fully rely on the mid now (nor in the 2015 treble season). Messi was not the central part of the attack under Lucho's winning seasons. The attack is more shared now as opposed to Pep's time.

The DM role isn't even the same. Busquets thrived under Pep because he was given more freedom. Under Lucho, the DM role is much more traditional and now he has Rakitic alongside him acting like a DM/CM hybrid.

Also, Lucho utilizes the wings WAY more than Pep ever did. In fact most success under Lucho's tenure came from attacks on the wing. With Pep we nearly always played through the middle because our passing was that hypnotizing. The passing channels under the Pep system was also a much shorter distance. Keeping very close space between the mids and the attackers was another huge highlight of the Pep Tiki Taka. Shorter passing range = easier to play tiki taka. Just compare this to Lucho attacks: A lot come from counter attacks or big passes to MSN who then create something.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with that sentence. They are fundamentally different coaches. However, they have both utilized their squads to their fullest strengths. Lucho with the focus on our starpower attack, and Pep with the focus on the La Masia star mids.

Disagree, the ruthlessness of MSN has not been fully maximised due to the neglect of midfield control. Think of it as a transmission mechanism:
More control=>More MSN touches in opposition area=>More tapins=>More goals=>More energy conserved=>Consistent form through the season.
In 2014/15, one mediocre half, one excellent half.
In 2015/16, one bad third, one excellent third, one bad third.
In 2016/17, EXTREMELY BAD.

khaled_a_d

This is the only thing I've to disagree in this post,Busquets in Lucho 1st year and half have thrived under Lucho system and I would consider him the most important player in the system (not the best player,but the player that his role is the heart of the system).
For me Busquets was one of the main reasons we were still controlling games under Lucho different systems,he plays like DM when we lose the ball but more of our true CM when we have it. Always there for his teammates.
Him being shit right now hurt us badly,whether it is due to him under performing or altered tactics

Home of Barca Fans