Manchester United

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I noticed the 'treble' was cropping up last week...Home games agains Madrid and Chelsea in the cup I thought a bit optimistic...and hey! I was right!!

The medias outrage on behalf on United shows how much they are in bed with them , simply because of the money...with United comes advertising revenue for TV , Radio and papers...great!

For once ManU got a taste of their own medicine. Had the tables been turned fergie would have been calling for a criminal prosecution of GBH. Oh happy days.

Jenks

Oh come on, it's just Premier League bias. If the same had happened to Liverpool then they'd have reacted in exactly the same way.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Oh come on, it's just Premier League bias. If the same had happened to Liverpool then they'd have reacted in exactly the same way.

Maybe.

Although the vigil Sky Sports News had for Man u last night and this morning is pretty funny.

Banana-Rama

I noticed the 'treble' was cropping up last week...Home games agains Madrid and Chelsea in the cup I thought a bit optimistic...and hey! I was right!!

The medias outrage on behalf on United shows how much they are in bed with them , simply because of the money...with United comes advertising revenue for TV , Radio and papers...great!

For once ManU got a taste of their own medicine. Had the tables been turned fergie would have been calling for a criminal prosecution of GBH. Oh happy days.

Yesterdays events will only make our 4th european cup that much sweeter when it comes, Liverpool fans will have nothing to celebrate come may, united will be celebrating our 20th premier league, two more then liverpool, our 12th FA Cup, 5 more then liverpool, and more champions league football next season, happy days. Won't be long now before suarez moves elsewhere, he could comfortably earn twice what he's on at liverpool elsewhere.....

Last edited:

89Norcal

All these people dogging United, saying that it was a clear red card, I can't possibly agree with.

I don't even like United but there's no way it was a red. But of course haters gonna hate, despite the fact Arebloa was no where near him until the ball was about to touch Nani's foot. Guys bring the ball down with a high boot all the time but because no one gets touched play just continues.

Now of course everyone is waving the "high boot" rule in the face of United fans, opting for the extreme perspective by saying it was dangerous. Nani was in wide open space when that ball was coming to him until the last second when Arbeloa ran from 20 or so yards out to challenge.

I've heard Brian McBride on Fox Soccer mention how the officiating conferences he's attended all address the issue of malintent in challenges and take it under consideration, and Nani's actions were devoid of any.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I bet no one thought the ref was gonna dish out a red before he actually did. So yeah, these "clear red" calls which are made in hindsight by fans are pretty hypocritical.

That's not to say though that the decision was wrong. It's controversial and really depends on the individual ref's perspective. Can't say something as definite as "clear red" or "no way that's a red".

There really should be a better way to resolve these issues. The most important ones are marginal offside decisions just because they are so frequent and can have a huge impact on the game. Video replays are really not that bad. Or maybe they could have sensors in players' boots that tracks their location. The issue with that though is that the player can still be offside due to his body being in an offside position even though his feet may not be. But it's a step in the right direction in terms of thinking of solutions.

Banana-Rama

I bet no one thought the ref was gonna dish out a red before he actually did. So yeah, these "clear red" calls which are made in hindsight by fans are pretty hypocritical.

That's not to say though that the decision was wrong. It's controversial and really depends on the individual ref's perspective. Can't say something as definite as "clear red" or "no way that's a red".

There really should be a better way to resolve these issues. The most important ones are marginal offside decisions just because they are so frequent and can have a huge impact on the game. Video replays are really not that bad. Or maybe they could have sensors in players' boots that tracks their location. The issue with that though is that the player can still be offside due to his body being in an offside position even though his feet may not be. But it's a step in the right direction in terms of thinking of solutions.

yep, technology is the only solution, i think they should have an individual in a room with screens in front of him, preferably a former or current referee, he can look at the incident from various angles and then decide either to uphold the referee's decision or rescind it, each team would be allowed 3 appeals per game so would have to use it wisely, the clock can be frozen while the decision is being made so as not to waste game time. technology is used in other sports like tennis and rugby, it actually adds something interesting to the sport rather then taking something away, this kind of system will be brought into the sport eventually, its inevitable, it won't happen until stubborn oldies like blatter who are scared of change are dead and buried tho.......

Waschdel

yep, technology is the only solution, i think they should have an individual in a room with screens in front of him, preferably a former or current referee, he can look at the incident from various angles and then decide either to uphold the referee's decision or rescind it, each team would be allowed 3 appeals per game so would have to use it wisely, the clock can be frozen while the decision is being made so as not to waste game time. technology is used in other sports like tennis and rugby, it actually adds something interesting to the sport rather then taking something away, this kind of system will be brought into the sport eventually, its inevitable, it won't happen until stubborn oldies like blatter who are scared of change are dead and buried tho.......

Technology would surely help but I don´t think that it would be the only solution. The red card for Nani is quite a good example, because it was a red card that the ref could give. I wouldn´t be sure that another ref behind a screen would have said no to this red card. Refs need to have some sensitivity to not influence games if possible. The better a ref was, the less is been discussed about him after the game. A yellow card for Nani would have been the better decision without a doubt.
The situation with Rafael blocking the header with his hand would have been another story with the technology you´re talking about. This was a penalty and a red card in my oppinion.

F

Flavia

Yeah, people like blatter believe the controversy caused by refs are good to the sport, as people talk about them for weeks. Really stupid way of thinking, tecnology is needed to make the game fairer.

Home of Barca Fans