Marc Bartra

Co0ter

Bartra has never been given a consistent run of games...and honestly his good performance outweigh his bad ones. Also, his bad performances were usually when our entire team looked bad as well...or do we expect a 22 year old central defender to man up and lead the under-performing team to victory?

Mascherano really is a fantastic player and you always get 100% out of him- but he is not a defender and never will be. He will always make big mistakes and his decision making will always be suspect. Sure the guy reads the game well at times (when he rushes forward to intercept the ball) but his basic positioning, height and man-marking are just not at the level required to play CB. You're going to have a decent, error prone CB with Masch...and that's always what you're going to get.

Bartra has the potential to be better. Faster and taller as well. We don't seem to have anyone else in the youth teams ready yet so why not play him more? Sub him in when we are winning, play him against the lower table teams. Play him in all copa del rey games. Don't sit him on the bench mostly then randomly start him vs Real Madrid or Bayern Munich...

Players like Marquinhos (who after this season I hope people are still not saying "overrated") don't just naturally stand out. They are given chances by their coaches because they see that potential and they develop quickly and grow confidence.

We bought a 30 year old and 28 year old defender, we still need youth in that position. If they aren't going to try and develop him then just sell him and stop wasting his time- buy or promote someone else and sell him to one of the many teams that will use him.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I am negative about him, from the same reasons why I don't "like" Alexis, Deulofeu and him (Bartra).

Alexis, he was a very good player, but posts by his "followers" how he delivers sex, how he is almost the greatest player who has ever walked on Earth, start to create negative feelings about the player, at least for me (and I guess for some other also).
If Alexis wasn't hyped that much from his fans, nobody would care, and I would always stay "neutral" about him.
He is neither awesome, and neither a total crap.

Deulofeu, also. The hype about him is insane, even though he hasn't done anything at a senior level yet. He is a huge flop for now (compared to what he could have developed into).
And posts how we should get rid of xx, yy, because Deulofeu needs to get his chance at Barca, makes you think: "Wtf? What he has done to get a chance and that we should kick some proven players because of him?"

The same is with Bartra.
Whenever a squad before a match is announced, majority of our fans post: "Oh my god, I want Bartra on the field."
Ok, but why not Pique? We won so many trophies with him. Why nobody mentions Pique, people just want Bartra (because he is a new guy, a fresh story, more interesting story, I guess). Nobody cries when Pique is benched.
Vermaelen? Not too many fans will write: "Omg, I want Vermaelen in the team." And not too many will cry if he won't play.

So, basically posts how Bartra is a new Puyol (which he'll never be), a new Baresi (Bartresi) and similar exaggerations create negative feelings about players who are too hyped and who are not as good as hype about them claims.

With Bartra:
1. if he plays well, people ask for him to be a starter all the time
2. if he doesn't play well, people will say that he was rusty and how he needs more regular playing time
3. if he makes a rookie mistake, people claim how all defenders make mistakes, so we can't blame Bartra either
4. if he makes a huge mistake, like against Bale, then people claim how he was injured and similar

Basically, if he does something good, he will be hailed for days.
And if he does something bad, people who love him will always find excuses.

So, lack of any objectivity and criticism and too much hyping, sometimes create negative feelings in some other fans.
Alexis and his sex delivery, Deulo as a new Messi/Ronaldo, Bartra as a new Puyol.

Disclaimer: I am a Barca fan, not a hater, but I can't buy every single story and hyping how all of our new/young players are a future goats on their positions.

While I agree with the concept,and agree with your points I don't think they are legite with Alexis&Gerard .
Alexis in his second season was on his way to be our own version of Bendtener internet wise,there was mockery videos for the chance he flopped ,what you said ws right in his 1st year but not afterward,even last season I think ppl was comparing to Pedro,sure he had his fans but many players does
As for Gerard,1st Barca B is sort of senior team and he has done exceptionally well,then he played one year in Everton,it didn't go well and fans are split for those who finds execuses to those who think he is flop and will never make it with Barca,both are overreacting
most important of all,many comparisons are made of players style of play rather than level of play,when people compare Gerard to Ronaldo/Robben they are talking about a fast well built scoring wing who is selfish ,not about being of the top players in your generation(I think Robben deserve to be considered like that after the WC) .so don't get too mad when people call Gerard new Cr7 or Robben,or Hallilovic to Messi as they are just comparing his style of controlling the ball,or Bartra to Puyol,it is more of a comparison to loyality and coming through youth ranking a bit late(or too late with Bartra)
As for Bartra , I think I am watching different games than Barca fan does,I see a back up CB who would be here for sometime ,but I don't see the potential tbh.I think putting him ahead of Varane is absured ,kid isn't rated outside our fans at all,he is still trying to prove his worthy with the 4th consecutive coach and he will be 24 in January and the best he proved is that he is a better CB option than Adriano&Song!?! people say he doesn't get to play reguarly but Pep didn't give him a chace (and he was old enough with enough experience with B team alread),niether did Tito,Tata tried to avoid him whenever possible and now Mascherano is playing CB again?

Last edited:

zanela

After that he did a lot of mistakes, uses his hands too often when trying to take the ball and he isn't too strong, as Ursegor said.

Thats my biggest gripe about his game. I've defended him plenty in the past, to the point of being labelled a Bartra fangirl by someone. So, its not like I don't rate him, but his technical and physical evolution has disappointed me. He's not been given consistent run of games, true. But that not an excuse for being beat in 1-1 duels, sometimes against those half his size. He's not very reliable vs flair players either. I haven't seen anyone outside barca community who thinks he's world class, or can become one. We must be realistic when evaluating our canteranos. As things stand, I doubt Bartra will ever be counted amongst the elite.

In contrast, Varane looks special. In the FRA-POR match, he completely shut down Ronaldo, whether by means of overpowering him, or getting to the ball before the latter does. His reading of the game was on the money. A rare combination of athleticism and intelligent play.

Alarcón

He was even worse on other occasions, no need to mince words, I'd like to know what the people think who said he's better than Varane and Marquinhos

I dont get the hype about the guy, he is ok but not more than that. Weak in bodycontact, throws away too many balls from the backline. very average.

CuleLife4Life

He needs to bulk up and stop letting the other team push him around. At 23 his physical game leaves a lot to be desired.

He is the youngest CB we have in a crop of CBs where all are almost 28+ and should be being groomed to one day take over. I just don't think he has it to be a starter here.

RightGuy

If he can get regular playing time he will improve.Last season he was one of the top rated defender according to whoscored.com.I will have bartra starting with mathieu than pique.He is faster than pique and aerially better too.

Home of Barca Fans