Marc Bartra

JamDav1982

It might be harsh to criticize him for the goal considering how much faster Thievy is than your average player but he shouldn't have got caught on the wrong side of him. Bartra tends to play superbly most of the time but he does make mistakes that lead to goals. Most of these mistakes are him being to eager to get the ball or being to tight on his opponent.

It wasnt Thievy pace that caused the problem it was the terrible positioning and shape of Bartra that made him exposed to that pass.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
CBs are never close to as fast as the fastest forwards. Bartra is fast for a CB not the fastest fast but fast none the less

I disagree Bartra is a fast CB. He is not a snail, but he is definitely not a fast CB.

In any case, I think his speed is adequate enough, it is in other aspects which I find some flaws. Chief among them is strength and decision-making.

footyfan

Calma, calma
CBs are never close to as fast as the fastest forwards. Bartra is fast for a CB not the fastest fast but fast none the less

Maybe he looks fast because you're comparing him to Pique. He got outpaced by Mascherano today atleast twice. Bartra has average pace for a CB.

Exactly who claimed that Bartra is very fast?

Simple search for fast on this thread:

I've seen him outrun montoya(Who is really fast) and puyol and an opponent after all three had a headstart on him and he went on to clear the ball. Kid is fast, don't let the injured run vs bale fool you.

Even injured, the kid kept pace with Gareth Bale for a damn long time. If that doesn't tell you that he's got pace, then I don't know what will.

Yup fast, great in the air and can score goals. It's Barca quality defender out if la masia since pique so I hope he gets the respect he deserves.

He is fast but not only that counts. Positioning and reading the game is very important in defence and he's got that.

He is fast,tall and likes to get forward.With a decent defender next to Pique and Alba on the left flank maybe our defense might find balance once again.

He doesn't have speed or technique? You clearly don't know much about football. He is great, just needs REGULAR playing time.

FIXED

Bartra is tall, fast, his passing is very good, his positioning is very gd etc..

Toecrusher

He's not a world beater, and he's not shit. He's a decent CB who if played in a system that works, will do the job for us quite comfortably. Remember we won a CL with friggin Oleguer???? Its the system that is leaving players exposed.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
How difficult is it to understand that Bartra is relatively fast for a fucking Centre Back. No one has claimed that he is a Catalan Gareth Bale.

JamDav1982

He's not a world beater, and he's not shit. He's a decent CB who if played in a system that works, will do the job for us quite comfortably. Remember we won a CL with friggin Oleguer???? Its the system that is leaving players exposed.

Won a CL final with Oleguer against ten men in a game they should have scored more.

Times have changed, the standard of top teams now is miles ahead now of what it was then.

Hate this Oleguer claim that seems to get brought up all the time.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
every CB will get shat on in a system where the opponent can get from their box to yours with 2 quick ground passes

JamDav1982

every CB will get shat on in a system where the opponent can get from their box to yours with 2 quick ground passes

People dont say things like that if Pique or Masch made the error Bartra did today.

Bartra was left exposed but from that point he still defended poorly.

Toecrusher

Won a CL final with Oleguer against ten men in a game they should have scored more.

Times have changed, the standard of top teams now is miles ahead now of what it was then.

Hate this Oleguer claim that seems to get brought up all the time.

Point being, its the system rather than the player who is more at fault here, and you have to differentiate the two. It is possible to build strong defensive units with relatively average individuals, and that's where the system comes in. But with this system it doesnt matter who is at the back, they will get exposed. Marc Batra will get exposed, Gerard Pique will get exposed, and Paolo Maldini will get exposed.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
People dont say things like that if Pique or Masch made the error Bartra did today.

Bartra was left exposed but from that point he still defended poorly.

Masch is excused for being a DM and Pique for me at least is beyond hope apart from some isolated performances. Bartra still has time to improve and for that he needs to play

Ursegor

World Champion
Maybe he looks fast because you're comparing him to Pique. He got outpaced by Mascherano today atleast twice. Bartra has average pace for a CB.

Simple search for fast on this thread:

Kids on this forum have a bizarre sense of judgement for defenders. 2 days ago someone wrote how Bartra never dives in and stays on his feet to block the ball when just in the previous game against Ajax he got owned pretty badly around the 60 minute mark doing exactly that - so badly that I even remember the exact timeline - sliding in into nothing leaving space behind only for Alba to sprint across to save his ass with a last ditch block. I'm not even bothering anymore. He's our Varane. :wub:

Having said that he's no Pique. Which is a big bonus point.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
I don't rate any of Bartra, Montoya, Rafinha and Sergi Roberto. I mean they are ok, just nothing extraordinary or anything near the level to become a gem at a club like Barca. Unfortunately the previous golden generation coming out of La Masia still confusing many people that everything that comes out of La Masia fart strawberries.

The only one I rate a bit higher right now is Sandro. Nothing over the top about him though, but he has the potential to become a great team player. Just like the way Pedro was many years ago.

Home of Barca Fans