Marc Bartra

Gnidrologist

I know that Bartra is a favorite young player of this forum, but seriously, even his fans, can you imagine him working for 90 minutes in Alves' way, driving away opponents, looking for spaces, creating spaces for Messi, dribbling past opponents, playing one-two's inside of a box etc?
Since i don't even notice Alves being on the pitch lately.. util he makes yet another horrible fuckup - yes, i can totally see this.
Dunno about one-twos, as this has never been tried, but i loved his performance both offensive and defensive against PSG in the home game, where he DID basically play RB in the same vain as Alves does now - moving centrally very deep into opponent's half. His passing was almost flawless and he didn't choose for the easiest options like Montoya or Douglas. A lot of passes between the lines, very close to box, some good dribbles using his long legs and pace to get past his marker (he reminds me of Nwaknwu Kanu a bit in this aspect) and some sweet long balls. And he didn't get caught pants down in defense like Alves does in every couple of matches recently. I think some people don't notice how bad Alves is in defense, because most of his brainfarts meant that he isn't even anywhere near the position, where he SHOULD be, so a lot of flack goes to CBs fort that, while Alves just jogs back all cool and swaggy like it wasn't even his fault.

Zinedinho

Since i don't even notice Alves being on the pitch lately.. util he makes yet another horrible fuckup - yes, i can totally see this.
Dunno about one-twos, as this has never been tried, but i loved his performance both offensive and defensive against PSG in the home game, where he DID basically play RB in the same vain as Alves does now - moving centrally very deep into opponent's half. His passing was almost flawless and he didn't choose for the easiest options like Montoya or Douglas. A lot of passes between the lines, very close to box, some good dribbles using his long legs and pace to get past his marker (he reminds me of Nwaknwu Kanu a bit in this aspect) and some sweet long balls. And he didn't get caught pants down in defense like Alves does in every couple of matches recently. I think some people don't notice how bad Alves is in defense, because most of his brainfarts meant that he isn't even anywhere near the position, where he SHOULD be, so a lot of flack goes to CBs fort that, while Alves just jogs back all cool and swaggy like it wasn't even his fault.

Bartra used to alternate the RB and CB positions in the youth teams, and he was pretty good at both. I remember when he played as a RB he used to be very good offensively! One day he stopped playing as a RB and specialized as a CB, but he has the quality, physical strength and mentality to be a very good RB.

Alen

Which has nothing to do with the fact that Bartra is a really good CB. Especially for his age.

You can't keep saying he's good for his age. He's 24, he should be seriously making his case to be a starter. IMO, with the way our defense has been these past years, he would've been a starter by now if he was that good.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Well Pique and Masche are no bums. Bartra played 2307 minutes (30 games) last season and is at 1449 (19) this season which is understandable because Mathieu was bought for 20 Mil. (who played 1881 minutes in 25 so far). He will probably get some minutes in the league in the final months of the season, if we have important CL games midweek.
I would personally trust Marc in every game. No matter if Rayo or Real, Malaga or ManCity. Imo he has proven that he is ready to be a starter for Barca but it is understandable that he is not 1st choice because of Pique and Masche which is ok. But I believe he will stay because he truly bleeds blaugrana and become a starter one day.

Pepe Silvia

This forum treats him like he's a baby. He's good for his age. He's 24 not 18. He makes juvenile mistakes and looks like he's on the verge of tears at the slightest bit of pressure. No thanks.

Alen

Well Pique and Masche are no bums. Bartra played 2307 minutes (30 games) last season and is at 1449 (19) this season which is understandable because Mathieu was bought for 20 Mil. (who played 1881 minutes in 25 so far). He will probably get some minutes in the league in the final months of the season, if we have important CL games midweek.
I would personally trust Marc in every game. No matter if Rayo or Real, Malaga or ManCity. Imo he has proven that he is ready to be a starter for Barca but it is understandable that he is not 1st choice because of Pique and Masche which is ok. But I believe he will stay because he truly bleeds blaugrana and become a starter one day.

I agree with you but he's just not Barcelona starter material IMO. There was a time when i thought he would be though.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
I agree with you but he's just not Barcelona starter material IMO. There was a time when i thought he would be though.

Why? He has all the tools and still plenty of time to improve.
I do not know what some guys expect from him. There are two world class players ahead of him in the pecking order.
Look at the best clubs in Europe and most of them also have such young defenders who have to wait for their chance. Zouma at Chelsea, Marquinhos at PSG, Varane at Real, Gimenez at Atletico, Ginter at Dortmund etc. They have veteran defenders in front of them and it is very hard to become a starter under such circumstances. But the more they prove their value the more playing time they get. Some of the players are already replacing those older guys and Bartra will do that too if there is no big money signing for the CB position in the next years.

F

Flavia

Why? He has all the tools and still plenty of time to improve.
I do not know what some guys expect from him. There are two world class players ahead of him in the pecking order.
Look at the best clubs in Europe and most of them also have such young defenders who have to wait for their chance. Zouma at Chelsea, Marquinhos at PSG, Varane at Real, Gimenez at Atletico, Ginter at Dortmund etc. They have veteran defenders in front of them and it is very hard to become a starter under such circumstances. But the more they prove their value the more playing time they get. Some of the players are already replacing those older guys and Bartra will do that too if there is no big money signing for the CB position in the next years.
marquinhos is 20, and varane is 21. Both much younger, and much better than Bartra already. Bartra is a good cb, but I don't think he'll get much better than that. He is a reliable, useful squad player.

Home of Barca Fans