Marc Bartra

JamDav1982

Mascherano is often played on either side, depending on who his partner is. Him playing DM is such a rarity that it shouldn't even be counted as a factor. Kind of like when people mention Douglas when discussing the RB position.

Ignoring the fact that Pique is by far our most important defender and is unlikely to miss more than a small handful of games, Mascherano can play that position as well and if Pique were to be injured I can guarantee you we'd see Masch playing next to Mathieu or Vermaelen.

On the left CB position, that is a position Bartra played quite often as well, which is part of why his minutes took such a large hit from last season. When Pique needed a partner because Masche was injured/subbed/rested that guy went from being Bartra to being Mathieu. When Mathieu was injured Bartra got those minutes, but now Vermaelen will be there, hungry for minutes of his own.

I wouldn't expect to see Bartra play at RB, either, even if Montoya and Douglas leave. Lucho doesn't seem to be a fan of the idea at all and Alves kind of has the position so tightly locked down that I'd be worried for my own playing time if I were Vidal.

Mascherano has played the vast majority of games at left centre back and Bartra at right centre back.

Most of what you said there is just false to try and make out Barta will be 'fifth choice'.

Not based on reality.

Zangash

Banned
Mascherano has played the vast majority of games at left centre back and Bartra at right centre back.

Most of what you said there is just false to try and make out Barta will be 'fifth choice'.

Not based on reality.

So Pique and Bartra as a pairing is as real as the tooth fairy then?

Lol. Okay.

JamDav1982

So Pique and Bartra as a pairing is as real as the tooth fairy then?

Lol. Okay.

Eh?

Bartra played much more as a right CB and Masch played as left CB.

You make out that Masch played right cb a lot and barely played in midfield. I would wager Mach played more minutes in midfield than right CB by a long way.

Zangash

Banned
Eh?

Bartra played much more as a right CB and Masch played as left CB.

You make out that Masch played right cb a lot and barely played in midfield. I would wager Mach played more minutes in midfield than right CB by a long way.

I didn't say that. I said Masch can play as RCB, which he can. If Pique gets injured are you really trying to say Lucho will start Bartra next to Masche, instead of Masche next to Mathieu/Vermaelen?

JamDav1982

I didn't say that. I said Masch can play as RCB, which he can. If Pique gets injured are you really trying to say Lucho will start Bartra next to Masche, instead of Masche next to Mathieu/Vermaelen?

Of course Masch can play rcb but he also plays in midfield more than that which you seemed to dismiss even though he played there more.

Messi can play CF but he wont very often now. The way the team settled towards end of season Barta will get minutes as back up to Pique.

Zangash

Banned
Of course Masch can play rcb but he also plays in midfield more than that which you seemed to dismiss even though he played there more.

Messi can play CF but he wont very often now. The way the team settled towards end of season Barta will get minutes as back up to Pique.

If Suarez got injured Messi would play CF and Pedro would play RW. Munir/Sandro would not be played as CF to slot in for Suarez. Similarly, if Pique got injured, Masche would play right CB next to one of Mahieu/Vermaelen. Bartra would not get to just slot in where Pique would normally play.

Bran the Greenseer

Lucho seemed to have Mathieu and Masch for LCB and Pique and Bartra for RCB so if he continues his mins will depend mainly on pique injury/rest situation.

xXKonan

Luis Enrique wants centre back Marc Bartra (24) to stay next season. Unless player or agent says he wants to leave, club won't move. [md]

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Isn't the Liverpool defence shite though?

Not that I want it to happen, but Bartra would dramatically improve your defence and also your chances of winning.

We could have Nesta and Silva as our centre backs and our defence would still look shit. The problem is our system and the lack of protection they receive in midfield.

xXKonan

The teams that are most interested in Barcelona centre back Marc Bartra (24) are Tottenham, Liverpool and Porto. [weloba]

Home of Barca Fans