Marc Bartra

Antimadridista1

Bartra has the heart of a potential captain, but the mental fortitude? Not really (yet?).

Despite his good run of form recently, he still has the tendency to go shaky in games under pressure. He can and will mature, but it's a sentimental overreach to say that he has shown enough to be the heir to the armband.

IF the ban fizzles out for this summer at least, MATS has the profile of a future captain (minus the acclimatization). Powerful presence, barks orders, and has nerves of steel. That's passion in the form of drive, whereas Bartra's passion is in the form of love.

MATS will never be the captain at Barcelona. Unfortunately, it will be someone from la masia, this is more than obvious. The only person who's not from la Masia and who can be our future captain is Leo, after Andres departure but once again Leo is everything but someone like Puyi.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Zanela you mean?

Yeah. Getting emotional meaning that you're not captaincy material = sooooo :facepalm: worthy.

I don't know whether Bartra is a future captain or can be, never thought about it, but ruling him out because he cried, showed emotion. Well, then I guess half of the captains in all sports in the world, even some of the legendary and best ones, were not captaincy material because they cry.

She is a good poster, but I don't agree with her on this one, definitely not. Although maybe she meant something else.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Casillas cries too...

To be fair I get what she is saying. The captain needs to be the guy everyone else leans on and Bartra isn't that guy. Getting emotional is fine and normal though.

In my opinion the captain doesn't actually need to be the leader on the pitch. He's just a figure head so its best to have a guy from La Masia who is a pro off the pitch and can handle press conferences. The guys that actually shout on the pitch can still do their thing it's not like an armband gives special powers. I think Iniesta is a great candidate.

Last edited:
He is not good enough yet, not even Close. But thanks to our excellent management he havent been introduced slowly as his growth would have benefitted from, instead he finds himself playing alot of very big game where he is clearly out of his depth.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
MATS will never be the captain at Barcelona. Unfortunately, it will be someone from la masia, this is more than obvious. The only person who's not from la Masia and who can be our future captain is Leo, after Andres departure but once again Leo is everything but someone like Puyi.

Leo is from La Masia...

The notion that only those from the academy can lead the club is absurd. A leader is someone who LEADS, the only advantage that being from the academy gives is being familiar and experienced with the club from its heart (which encourages more authority). Bartra, however, doesn't seem like the authoritative type. He loves the club dearly, that much is clear.

The question is, can he actually be tough enough to act as a pillar for everyone? Whether it be for encouragement, tough love, comfort, motivation, mentor-ship or otherwise, the captain must be one with the qualities of a leader. Captains are superior in attitude to most players and can rally the entire team, I don't see that in Bartra as of now.

The only reason this is being suggested is because of his love towards the club and the fact that he's coming in as Puyol is going out. It seems like the whole 'natural heir' scenario, but I am not so sure of that. ter Stegen is the leader type, and if he spends enough time at the club and builds a great reputation he will surely be the best option to act as captain.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Leo is from La Masia...

The notion that only those from the academy can lead the club is absurd. A leader is someone who LEADS, the only advantage that being from the academy gives is being familiar and experienced with the club from its heart (which encourages more authority). Bartra, however, doesn't seem like the authoritative type. He loves the club dearly, that much is clear.

The question is, can he actually be tough enough to act as a pillar for everyone? Whether it be for encouragement, tough love, comfort, motivation, mentor-ship or otherwise, the captain must be one with the qualities of a leader. Captains are superior in attitude to most players and can rally the entire team, I don't see that in Bartra as of now.

The only reason this is being suggested is because of his love towards the club and the fact that he's coming in as Puyol is going out. It seems like the whole 'natural heir' scenario, but I am not so sure of that. ter Stegen is the leader type, and if he spends enough time at the club and builds a great reputation he will surely be the best option to act as captain.

The manager should do all that stuff. I think the captaincy doesn't mean you have to be the leader. Vocal guys on the pitch are that way armband or not. The captain is basically the club's player representative so it makes sense if he is a cantanero and good pro, with experience and wisdom. I like Andres for that reason. I wouldn't give it to Leo he has too many responsibilities already and isn't really a mentor.

zanela

I've been a Marc fan, and followed his career since his youth years. And I did think he could don the captain's role one day, but his mental and physical development has been disappointing. Ofc there are heart-breaking moments that can get the better of you, but in Marc's case its becoming a recurring theme. And it doesn't really inspire confidence in the environ.

And I admit, I've lost my mojo. :(

F1_STK

2cyskk.png

khaled_a_d

Leo is from La Masia...

Agree with all of your points ,that said the club has made a lot of hype about La Masia and barca DNA etc that our new captain may be choosen based on politics not who deserves it
Messi is probably gonna get it once Xavi is out,we had 4 players in our captain order since 2008 and that was Puyol(gone),Xavi(has few time left here),Valdes(gone) and then Messi
I think Andres will be the Vice Captain and then I think it will be between Pique& Cesc,Cesc was captain of Arsenal at young age and it seems he was good for it ,Pique on the other hande is a sure starter on the pitch and seems to be that for long time which is usually a factor in the decision

iceon

I like Marc. I think he can become a very good defender, maybe not in the top brackets of defenders but with the right manager and right development he could easily become a future starter and holder of the captain armband. Going from worst player on the pitch that night against Bayern last season to becoming a defender you can trust is a huge step. He will gain experience and become better each day. Still Barcelona needs a CB as he isn't ready just yet. Pique needs a new partner and it can't be Bartra, he needs a top top defender next to him for the next season.

M

Messi4life

I suppose you'd rather we had played Mascherano and Busquets as CB and used Song as CDM instead, then?
I do not know how you manage to tilt from that I believe that Bartra is an upcoming superstar to be about Mascherano and Busquets will play central defenders, but that's your problem...

Home of Barca Fans