Mario Gotze

Varane is definately not over-rated. That kid is awesome. He's 19 years old, 6'3 and extremely fast...not just for someone that tall, he's just fast period.

Real Madrid got him for around 10mil and that is the biggest steal ever. We could pay 25-30mil for a CB this summer and the odds are they wouldn't even be as good. Some people just got the blinders on because of who he's playing for....don't worry, I'm pretty butt hurt about it too.

I never said that he's not awesome or the biggest steal ever. I just think he's a tad overrated. But hey, maybe that's just me being a biased Barca fan :p

Lets get Kurt Zouma. All i know is, he's tall, strong and fast. 18 years of age and chased by numerous top clubs. Can be our Varane, hopefully :)

And he's French like Varane :p

In all seriousness though, the CB we buy will probably be thrown straight into the starting lineup, and doing that with an 18 year old and hoping he turns out to be another Varane is not a great idea. Still, it might be a good idea to get one more CB for depth, and Kurt Zouma can be a good buy for that.

Last edited:

Galning

How can anyone say he did nothing special against Barcelona. His defensive display alone was unbelievably outstanding, let alone his composed passing and the late equalizing goal. All of this was in his Clasico debut. He was amazing in the 2nd leg too (and coincidentally scored again)

Too bad he still wasn't MOTM. That honour goes to the man wearing yellow.

[YOUTUBE]jGS-X1ZMhMc[/YOUTUBE]

DavidVillano1

How can anyone say he did nothing special against Barcelona. His defensive display alone was unbelievably outstanding, let alone his composed passing and the late equalizing goal. All of this was in his Clasico debut. He was amazing in the 2nd leg too (and coincidentally scored again)
Large chunk of that video was simple back passes etc.

The best moments was the sublime block on the line and the challenge on Messi. Rest was using his pace to outrun Messi etc and the goal that Pinto was slow getting down to.

Varane was ball watching for the Cesc goal. Whilst Barcelona created some chances to kill the tie off, especially Cesc and Pedro who missed two sitters. His performance was good, but it wasn't any better than Pique, Ramos on the night who both made some excellent defensive decisions during that match.

In my opinion Thiago Silva put in a 'special performance' against Barcelona, Varane's performance wasn't at that level albeit he performed very well. Varane has the potential to become one of the best, but many are ignoring his weaker performances whilst over-stating his better displays.

City - Home
Dortmund - Home and Away
Gala - Away and at moments in first leg
Real Socidead - Home
Celta Vigo - Away
Man United - Home

In all those games he was not performing to a standard of quality, although due to his age you expect inconsistency in his performances. Great potential, but his performances on the whole don't add up to his current hype.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He had several world class tackles in there along with that goal line block (it took some real reflexes to be able to get to that) and staying composed throughout the entire match when Carvalho was a complete dumbass. He had several great and accurate passes as well and won a bunch of aerial duels. And of course, the crucial equalizing goal.

Don't be biased against him and act as if everything he did was just using his pace and it wasn't impressive at all because he pretty much shut out most of our attack. Cesc's goal was impossible for him to do anything about as the mistake from Khedira was so quick and Messi's pass happened in less than a second. Cesc was already kicking the ball before Varane could even start running towards him.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yeah, you guys should remember that the shortlist also included Balotelli so Neymar being on there doesn't speak true measures about his actual talent, just his popularity.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
:offtopic: What happened to the Götze thread?

Götze himself said he aspires to be like Cristian Ronaldo, not Messi. :eusa_think:
Nah he just said that his style is more like CR's. He has said he prefers Messi and thinks he is the best in the world. Had a really good game today! I also think he is the best U-21 player in the world atm. You can already see the amazing player he will become. No question about it.

misterplatin

So many people trolling here about Varane . They can't accept that he is the best Cb prospect who is playing for one of the popular clubs . Galatasaray second leg was like a pressure cooker situation for a youngster like Varane and he was pushed to the limits by the opposition .Don't forget it was Drogba who was bullying him yet he kept Drogba quiet for most of the match .While the Madrid midfield was dominated and hardman Pepe was getting schooled Varane kept his cool to keep his team in the match .

Faceless

No more faces at night
Nah he just said that his style is more like CR's. He has said he prefers Messi and thinks he is the best in the world. Had a really good game today! I also think he is the best U-21 player in the world atm. You can already see the amazing player he will become. No question about it.

Reus + Gotze :worthy:

DavidVillano1

So many people trolling here about Varane . They can't accept that he is the best Cb prospect who is playing for one of the popular clubs . Galatasaray second leg was like a pressure cooker situation for a youngster like Varane and he was pushed to the limits by the opposition .Don't forget it was Drogba who was bullying him yet he kept Drogba quiet for most of the match .While the Madrid midfield was dominated and hardman Pepe was getting schooled Varane kept his cool to keep his team in the match .
Kept him quiet, yet Drogba scored when Varane should have got tighter? :lol:

What about the Sneijder goal when Varane got done completely?

Why would I troll about Varane, could you explain that one? Because I said his hype is OTT and he's had bad performances I'm trolling? What a completely strange outlook!

He has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world, like I said previously, but I stand by that his hype is not on the same level as his performances over the whole season!

Indignado

Kept him quiet, yet Drogba scored when Varane should have got tighter? :lol:

What about the Sneijder goal when Varane got done completely?

Why would I troll about Varane, could you explain that one? Because I said his hype is OTT and he's had bad performances I'm trolling? What a completely strange outlook!

He has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world, like I said previously, but I stand by that his hype is not on the same level as his performances over the whole season!

I agree very much, if Piqué had played a single game like Varane against Galatasaray, everyone here would call for his head.

Home of Barca Fans