Mario Gotze

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
He is having a good season, but he now needs to make the step forward to be a truly great player his talent can allow him to be. still the most naturally gifted player germany has produced in a generation but needs to grow some balls and be the man in europe's best team. he is capable of it.

Marco Reus? Or would you count him as a different generation?

red dragon2

Marco Reus? Or would you count him as a different generation?

Reus really ain't a technical wizard like goetze, he is like bale but more skilfull, but still not as comfortably in close spaces as germans like oezil and goetze. Reus is best on the counter with his speed and shooting. at dortmund, goetze was much the better player, no one in germany thought reus was better then at least.
anyway, goetze was the best player in germany at 19 when reus was a nobody, goetze is way more talented but reus is braver and is an athlete. right now, reus is ahead but unless goetze completly wastes his huge talent then he will be remembered as the better player

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Reus really ain't a technical wizard like goetze, he is like bale but more skilfull, but still not as comfortably in close spaces as germans like oezil and goetze. Reus is best on the counter with his speed and shooting. at dortmund, goetze was much the better player, no one in germany thought reus was better then at least.
anyway, goetze was the best player in germany at 19 when reus was a nobody, goetze is way more talented but reus is braver and is an athlete. right now, reus is ahead but unless goetze completly wastes his huge talent then he will be remembered as the better player

Reus was Germany's best player during the road to the World Cup Finals. And then he got injured. :(

Yannik

Isco was part of the comparison when he was the star player for Malaga a couple seasons ago and won the Golden Boy award. Gotze shot himself in the foot by moving to a team where the focus isn't on honing him to become a star, but rather to make him a cog in a machine.

the comparisons were already before, when Götze won the Golden Boy award, Isco came a year later then and won it when Hazard, Neymar and Götze were not competing for it anymore. He wasnt very known before Malaga's good CL season.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Goetze has only developed his goalscoring at bayern, he is still an excellent player, but when I saw him play at 18 I thought by 22 he would be a ballon d'or contender. At bayern he defers too much to others, he has lost his bravery where he would beat 2-3 players. You still see his great talent sometimes, where even with teamates like robben and ribery he is still maybe the most comfortable with the ball in tight spaces and playing 1-2s.
He is having a good season, but he now needs to make the step forward to be a truly great player his talent can allow him to be. still the most naturally gifted player germany has produced in a generation but needs to grow some balls and be the man in europe's best team. he is capable of it.

I agree the first half of this season he wasn't bad at all, like the start of the 13/14 season. However he had a pretty bad or meh second half of the season last season. We will see.

Leo_Messi

He decided a World Cup final in extra time as a 22 year old. One could say that he already reached the pinnacle of his career. I doubt that anything that he will achieve in his career will top that.

He is a legend in German football already.

Last edited:

DinhoR10

He decided a World Cup final in extra time as a 22 year old. One could say that he already reached the pinnacle of his career. I doubt that anything that he will achieve in his career will top that.

He is a legend in German football already.

Well I mean, If you want to compare him to the last world cup hero Iniesta, back to back euro cups including one where he carried the team, the entire World Cup all everyone used to say was "Can iniesta break down this defense?" atleast my commentators, Goetze didn't have a good wc aside from that goal, he's yet to win a champions league or a Euro, I think its waaaaaaaay to early to say he's done.

Edit: Unless you mean that he can't go any further in your opinion potential wise.

Leo_Messi

Well I mean, If you want to compare him to the last world cup hero Iniesta, back to back euro cups including one where he carried the team, the entire World Cup all everyone used to say was "Can iniesta break down this defense?" atleast my commentators, Goetze didn't have a good wc aside from that goal, he's yet to win a champions league or a Euro, I think its waaaaaaaay to early to say he's done.

Edit: Unless you mean that he can't go any further in your opinion potential wise.

I am not saying any of that. I am just saying that Götze probably already reached his pinnacle moment in football by scoring that crucial goal in the extra time of a World Cup final against Argentina of all teams (Germany has a big rivalry with them and vice versa).

I only expect him to get better as well.

DinhoR10

I am not saying any of that. I am just saying that Götze probably already reached his pinnacle moment in football by scoring that crucial goal in the extra time of a World Cup final against Argentina of all teams (Germany has a big rivalry with them and vice versa).

I only expect him to get better as well.

Maybe I just disagree with it being his pinnacle moment, I think he can reach new heights if he works at it.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Maybe I just disagree with it being his pinnacle moment, I think he can reach new heights if he works at it.
Pinnacle moment would be the one thing that stikes every body's mind when somebody thinks of him... Like it was that goal against England for Maradona!

Iniesta's goal against chelsea in the extra time was his pinacle before he bettered it by scoring the WC winner. If you had asked him which memory he cherishes the most in 2010 January he would probably have said the Chelsea goal! But ask him now and the WC winner would definitely be his instantaneous reply!!

Gotze no matter what he does in the rest of his career... He could never beat scoring the extra time winner in a WC final, when he was a mere 22 year old kid! He would definitely turn out to be a better player than he is now, but the WC winner would remain his pinnacle!!

Last edited:

DinhoR10

Pinnacle moment would be the one thing that stikes every body's mind when somebody thinks of him... Like it was that goal against England for Maradona!

Iniesta's goal against chelsea in the extra time was his pinacle before he bettered it by scoring the WC winner. If you had asked him which memory he cherishes the most in 2010 January he would probably have said the Chelsea goal! But ask him now and the WC winner would definitely be his instantaneous reply!!

Gotze no matter what he does in the rest of his career... He could never beat scoring the extra time winner in a WC final, when he was a mere 22 year old kid! He would definitely turn out to be a better player than he is now, but the WC winner would remain his pinnacle!!

All i'm saying is that why not aim for an even better goal? Something that would REALLY make him a legend, Maradona's and Messi's greatest goals are replayed cause of their sheer quality no matter the stage, Iniesta aside from his team saving goals also has one of the best career ever to back it up too. If he rests on his laurels he will be remembered by the general footballing world after people like Neymar or Isco who are pushing forward into new territory, both of whom play for WC worthy nations.

Morten

What i get from reading here is that if you score in a wc final its time to retire, since it cant be topped.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
At Ana Ivanovic's party after the win against Stuttgart

2574367600000578-0-image-a-29_1423405659150.jpg

Home of Barca Fans