Mario Gotze

zanela

I thought Bastian was back with Brandner. Not a fan of Ana, but I do welcome the tennis-football union. The last such pair in Gisela-Gago disappoints me, however.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Lufts, were you stalking that party for a peek at Schweini?

B6JUMn3CAAAIJ-2.jpg:large

You jelly?

I was there taking the photos myself on Schweini's personal invitation. :p

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It seems pretty clear that Götze has hit a plateau in comparison to the development of Hazard/Neymar/Isco/etc. but the reason why is rather dumb. He's had great technique and intelligence as a player for a long time, now with Bayern he's improved his goalscoring threat as well. You'd think he would start playing like an elite player with all of his strengths (and relative lack of weaknesses). He's doing relatively well of course, but it's expected that a player of his talent would've at least found a consistent role in the team, instead he's somewhat expendable.

When I watch him play, it seems like the only thing missing is his willingness to impose himself on a match. Almost all of his off the ball movement consists of support runs, he has the capacity to dribble but doesn't really instigate attacks a la Robben, and he'll generally perform all the necessary Pedro-isms of being a well rounded player but won't take any sort of authority. He needs to start trying to have a more central impact on the team's attacking play: be more of a ball carrier, start moves from deeper positions so he can guide things to the final third, etc. It'd be a benefit for both him and Bayern if he could get the team to play through him more (relying on only Robben to create things isn't healthy for a team of Bayern's caliber).

red dragon2

It seems pretty clear that Götze has hit a plateau in comparison to the development of Hazard/Neymar/Isco/etc. but the reason why is rather dumb. He's had great technique and intelligence as a player for a long time, now with Bayern he's improved his goalscoring threat as well. You'd think he would start playing like an elite player with all of his strengths (and relative lack of weaknesses). He's doing relatively well of course, but it's expected that a player of his talent would've at least found a consistent role in the team, instead he's somewhat expendable.

When I watch him play, it seems like the only thing missing is his willingness to impose himself on a match. Almost all of his off the ball movement consists of support runs, he has the capacity to dribble but doesn't really instigate attacks a la Robben, and he'll generally perform all the necessary Pedro-isms of being a well rounded player but won't take any sort of authority. He needs to start trying to have a more central impact on the team's attacking play: be more of a ball carrier, start moves from deeper positions so he can guide things to the final third, etc. It'd be a benefit for both him and Bayern if he could get the team to play through him more (relying on only Robben to create things isn't healthy for a team of Bayern's caliber).

good summary, but apparently pep told goetze recently to be braver with the ball, and it showed against hamburg (yes, a poor team) but goetze was the dortmund version again with his running with the ball. He was probably motm and hopefully this will give him the confidence to impose himself against the best teams.
Also, goetze unlike neymar, pogba and hazard hasn't got athletics, he has good balance but is not quick, he is more like iniesta than hazard or neymar. Actually I would compare him most to isco, both are very agile, skilled players.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I don't think Götze is that type of player. He seems to be a more understated attacking midfielder like iniesta.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I rate Goetze much higher than Isco. Goetze is a good playmaker who is equally lethal on goalscoring; Isco on the other hand is a dribbler and a nice finisher who doesn't much playmaking skills.

red dragon2

I rate Goetze much higher than Isco. Goetze is a good playmaker who is equally lethal on goalscoring; Isco on the other hand is a dribbler and a nice finisher who doesn't much playmaking skills.

what seperates them for me is that goetze was one of the league's best players as an 18 year old. Isco is incredibly skilled in dribbling but like you said, doesn't have goetze's goalscoring or vision

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Well, Isco averages more key passes per game than Götze and has more than twice the amount of assists. That is also considering that he plays a deeper role where he creates space in midfield and has a great influence on attacking transitions (he averages a fair bit more passes per game than Götze even while not playing in as possession dominant of a team). I rate Isco as the actual playmaker of the two, his playmaking skills are great and he's become a lot more of a selfless team player than when he first went to Madrid.

Götze is an attack minded player to me much like Hazard (though more reserved than Neymar). Pep knows this too and often deploys him as part of the front 3 (though I think Bayern benefit much more from having a player like him in midfield). He is a midfielder, but a decidedly attacking one with a goalscoring emphasis.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well, Isco averages more key passes per game than Götze and has more than twice the amount of assists. That is also considering that he plays a deeper role where he creates space in midfield and has a great influence on attacking transitions (he averages a fair bit more passes per game than Götze even while not playing in as possession dominant of a team). I rate Isco as the actual playmaker of the two, his playmaking skills are great and he's become a lot more of a selfless team player than when he first went to Madrid.

Götze is an attack minded player to me much like Hazard (though more reserved than Neymar). Pep knows this too and often deploys him as part of the front 3 (though I think Bayern benefit much more from having a player like him in midfield). He is a midfielder, but a decidedly attacking one with a goalscoring emphasis.

I don't know Don, from what I have watched Isco, he tends to hold on to the ball far too much, dribbling is his thing and he doesn't try to find players in open space to pass the ball to. I am not surprised by him possibly having more key passes as I think Real Madrid as a whole has more shots than us and Bayern. Isco struck me as a wonderful dribbler who tries to do everything by himself, and he occasionally (especially lately) has had some really great shots and goals.

Just my opinion of course.

Pep, the one he deemed as his "dream manager", has stunted his growth. Maybe Pep really loves Leo so much that he sabotaged Goetze's career? :lol:

Home of Barca Fans