Mario Gotze

El Flaco

Mario Götze set on Jürgen Klopp reunion at Liverpool

Tony Barrett Last updated at 9:59AM, March 29 2016

Mario Götze is ready to sever his ties with Bayern Munich at the end of this season having set his heart on a summer move to Liverpool where he would be reunited with Jürgen Klopp, who managed him at Borussia Dortmund.

In what would be a significant statement of intent by Klopp as he looks to re-establish Liverpool among European football’s elite, the Merseyside club are hopeful of signing the German World Cup winner. Götze is expected to cost around £20 million as he is due to enter the final year of his contract in June.

Götze has been open in his attempts to attract Liverpool’s interest and privately the attacking midfielder has gone still further, indicating that working under Klopp once more would be his ideal scenario following a difficult spell at Bayern.

Despite becoming a national hero two years ago when he scored the winning goal in extra time as Germany beat Argentina in the 2014 World Cup Final, Götze’s progress has stalled under Pep Guardiola at Bayern and he has started only one Bundesliga game in the last five months.

Joachim Löw, the Germany manager, has encouraged Götze to discuss his situation with Carlo Ancelotti, the incoming Bayern manager, before determining his future but the 23-year-old is already veering strongly towards reconvening his working relationship with Klopp with whom he enjoyed great success at Dortmund.

There is an acceptance at Liverpool that Klopp will want to make his mark on the club’s playing staff this summer and he will be backed accordingly with significant financial resources set to be made available to him.

A fundamental element of the decision to appoint Klopp last October was a belief that his reputation would allow them to attract a higher calibre of player more regularly. That ambition seems increasingly likely to be realised with Götze being one of a number of players in recent weeks who have indicated, publicly or privately, that they want to move to Anfield.

At the weekend, Jonas Hector, the Cologne and Germany left back, offered an indication of his desire when he stated that he would have to consider his future if he received a phone call from Klopp. Yesterday, Piotr Zielinski, the Empoli midfielder, went a stage further, admitting that he has been doing due diligence on Klopp and detailing where he could fit into the Liverpool team should their ongoing pursuit of him prove successful.

“Some people say these are just the rumours. I know a little bit more about it,” Zielinski said. “But until now I just try to play as best as I can in Empoli to have a possible chance in June for such a big transfer move.

“I have spoken with Kuba [Blaszczykowski, who played under Klopp at Dortmund] who plays in Fiorentina now about Klopp. He told me about his personality, how is Klopp to the players, gave me some tips, but nothing is known yet. I constantly have to play well in Empoli to get the interest from the bigger clubs.

“Everyone knows [Philippe] Coutinho who is very technically gifted. He can shoot with either foot, no matter if it’s left of right. I think I have something in common with him. Definitely he is one of the best Liverpool players this season. I really like his style of play, I watch him closely

“It would be great to play alongside Coutinho. I am sure we could be a good duo on the pitch. We’ll see what will happen.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/liverpool/article4723644.ece

Many Liverpool-supporters are saying Tony Barrett is one of the most reliable journalist for Liverpool news.

Morten

So, Klopp wants this traitor scumbag back?
If the traitor performs well he will jump to a different club at first opportunity again, cause thats just the kind of person he is.

BarcaOG

Banned
If I were a Dortmund fan I wouldn't want him back. He left to join the national rivals, which meant essentially that Gotze said: "I am too good for you" to Dortmund. Pfft.

Question17

well it all started with him.... His is the Luis Figo version of Dortmund!

Dortmund and Bayern aren't arch rivals though. Its not the same for Gotze as a player like Figo with Barca and Real or a player who went from Celtic to Rangers. Dortmund's archival is undoubtably Schalke, the Revierderby.

The only reason people have been making those comparisons is that for one Bayern's real rivals, Munich and Nurnberg, are so terrible that they can't even get into the German league to face Bayern, and it just happens that recently Dortmund have become the other most successful club but thats about it. If Dortmund started to play badly for a span of 10 years and some other team took their place success wise you'd have just as much of a case for making that team Bayerns rival and nobody would think twice about a Bayern Dortmund game being special. On the other hand Barcelona Espanol games are special no matter how much espanaol sucks.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Dortmund and Bayern aren't arch rivals though. Its not the same for Gotze as a player like Figo with Barca and Real or a player who went from Celtic to Rangers. Dortmund's archival is undoubtably Schalke, the Revierderby.

The only reason people have been making those comparisons is that for one Bayern's real rivals, Munich and Nurnberg, are so terrible that they can't even get into the German league to face Bayern, and it just happens that recently Dortmund have become the other most successful club but thats about it. If Dortmund started to play badly for a span of 10 years and some other team took their place success wise you'd have just as much of a case for making that team Bayerns rival and nobody would think twice about a Bayern Dortmund game being special. On the other hand Barcelona Espanol games are special no matter how much espanaol sucks.
well yeah, of course.... But something like 'live in the moment' sorts? :p

CuleLife4Life

How Klopp found out about Goetze going to Bayern, pretty hard to read stuff :(

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/klopp-gotze-liverpool-boss-ready-11109187

Damn the article does tug at your heart strings lol. But its karma that Gotze's spell at Bayern has been a massive bust. Fans don't even want him anymore because there is no place to play him.

Like someone else said though, as soon as he has a good year or 2 at Liverpool, he'll be out the back door to a team like Real, Chelsea, PSG, etc.

Home of Barca Fans