Marquinhos

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
5 Barcelona players are this summer not for sale under any circumstances: Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, and Pique. [mundo deportivo]

Sadly, Piqué is still considered a pillar in this team... Holding him is such high regard has gone to his head... If only he could just shake all the stupid in his head and focus on doing his job...

Meitux

5 Barcelona players are this summer not for sale under any circumstances: Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, and Pique. [mundo deportivo]
Well yeah..how could Pique the Calatan the supposed to be next captain leave?:facepalm1: We said should leave judging by how he plays but i suppose they dont consider about it

Last edited:
L

Learo

Well yeah..how could Pique the Calatan the supposed to be next captain leave?:facepalm1: We said should leave judging by how he plays but i suppose they dont consider about it

We have gotten rid of lots of catalans in the past, and the golden catalan generation of 1991 barely get playing time for the first team. Its odd to claim that catalans are favored because of nationality and not merit.

Its also worth remembering that of the golden 1987 generation, the catalans pique and cesc left, while messi the argentine stayed.

XaviMessiGirl

We have gotten rid of lots of catalans in the past, and the golden catalan generation of 1991 barely get playing time for the first team. Its odd to claim that catalans are favored because of nationality and not merit.

Its also worth remembering that of the golden 1987 generation, the catalans pique and cesc left, while messi the argentine stayed.

That was the past though. Nowadays, Pique & Cesc are regarded as untouchable when they haven't exactly been earning it lately. I have a feeling if they weren't Catalan La Masia products (ones who left & came back at that) that they would be out the door.

JamDav1982

That was the past though. Nowadays, Pique & Cesc are regarded as untouchable when they haven't exactly been earning it lately. I have a feeling if they weren't Catalan La Masia products (ones who left & came back at that) that they would be out the door.

Pique and Cesc deserve to be in the squad but both need to up their game.

The club would not play players who are not good enough just because they are catalan.

L

Learo

I am talking about this season. Our catalan youth have been short changed. Their quality is high but they have not had much playing time. I dont see any favoritism, on the contrary.

XaviMessiGirl

I am talking about this season. Our catalan youth have been short changed. Their quality is high but they have not had much playing time. I dont see any favoritism, on the contrary.

The club no longer having much faith in youth is a different beast. I'm not saying that all Catalans or La Masia products are favored, but for Pique & Cesc specifically it probably helps.

L

Learo

The club no longer having much faith in youth is a different beast. I'm not saying that all Catalans or La Masia products are favored, but for Pique & Cesc specifically it probably helps.

I dont see how it is different. There is no pattern of Catalans being favored at all IMO. If Pique and Cesc are favored, it is not because they are catalans, as the short change of our other catalans suggest. I think it is inappropriate to speculate that ethnic discrimination is behind all this. I think it is more likely that star status has something to do with it. Ronnie wasnt favored because he was Brazilian either, he always played even though he was bad in his last year for us. He had an incredible star status though. I think star status (players who are regularly in the news) is something we see our management care alot about, referring to both who plays, and who we approach in the transfer market, like Thiago Silva, David Luiz etc.

XaviMessiGirl

Keeping them because they're big names is a stupid strategy too, it's because of this that we get screwed in the market so often. But really we bent over backwards way more than we should have trying to get Cesc, because we wanted to bring "our boy" home. You can't say that his status as a La Masia player didn't largely influence our interest in him & I think that still carries over into how he is perceived by mgmt.

Anyway, this is getting too off topic.

L

Learo

Keeping them because they're big names is a stupid strategy too, it's because of this that we get screwed in the market so often. But really we bent over backwards way more than we should have trying to get Cesc, because we wanted to bring "our boy" home. You can't say that his status as a La Masia player didn't largely influence our interest in him & I think that still carries over into how he is perceived by mgmt.

Anyway, this is getting too off topic.

Of course the fact that he was a former la masia player like alba was the main reason we got him. but there is no ethnic discrimination in the club. I dont think we are interested in marquinhos. I think tito prefers silva, luiz, rooney and possibly agger. they all fit the requirements of star status from the highly exposed english league.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

Overall, idk about you guys, but I've been immensely frustrated with how this team is being run right now. Other than the quick Neymar deal (which was a very good piece of business, all things considered), I have nearly disagreed with every decision that has been made by the club in the last few months.

Cesc doesn't deserve a majority of criticism he has suffered recently since he has literally been playing in three different positions with absolutely no continuity since he got here, and despite this his game is subtly improving which is testament to his character. But the whole Piqué situation has been a debacle. And it all comes back to a) a lack of rotation in the squad and b) lack of faith in our youth players.

All Piqué needs is competition. It's quite apparent that he has become very complacent and his form has dipped tremendously. But he is still all and all a very good CB when he doesn't have his head up Shakira's very fine ass and actually on the field. With a new CB, I'm hoping that he will pull it together.

But I do not understand why players like Tello, Montoya and Bartra have been thrown under the bus this season. What we did to Bartra was border-line criminal and sadistic when he actually has a lot of promise but he needs games. Again, back to a), that is why his progress stagnated this year and is why Thiago might leave as well.

Our lack of conviction with signing a CB so far is concerning. We need to be much more aggressive in getting Marcos or TS. Now with Villa gone, we need to have a deal done preferably by the end of next week to show true intent. That's why I have always said we should include Alexis in any deal we make bc we honestly have too many wingers at this point. Furthermore, returning to b) this would also allow our next potential superstar a place in the squad so we can see how good he really is. Deulofeu should not be loaned out, he needs a chance to prove himself here in the first team and the only way I see that being possible is if either Tello, Pedro or Sanchez is out of the squad. Being realistic here, the only person of that three we would be most likely to sell is Sanchez.

The lack of trust in Tito with our youth has to end and end now. Without these players carefully development, our hegemony will end in very unpleasant terms with the possibility of us not returning to the top for a long time.

In my ideal world, we sign Luiz/TS/Marcos, sell Sanchez and keep Thiago and I think we would be alright. With Pedro, Tello and Deulofeu competiting for that RW spot, Cesc, Xavi and Thiago competing for the CM position and plenty of options to chose from in the CB position, our old players would have more time to rest and help pass the baton to the younger players, and our complacent players (Piqué, Cesc, Pedro and to some extent Messi) would have some extra motivation to raise their game, we should be alright. All we need is a reinvigoration, not a revolution.

That being said, I'm very skeptical of if Tito is the man to do that but I hope he learns from last year and proves me wrong. This summer will be make or break for us and with our stalling in signing a CB and the rumored exodus of key youth players (Thiago, Deulofeu, etc.) I see a lot to be concerned with.

Home of Barca Fans