Martin Braithwaite

iniestaGOAT

I mean Braithwaite isn't gonna lower his legally agreed wage in order to help out the club (that wants him gone) sign new players. It also doesn't look like shaming him into it will make him change his mind.
The man is 31 and will never again in his life earn this much per year of which he has 2 more left, of course he'll keep insisting to be paid what was agreed on.

Nah man stop being smart dumb.

If he terminates contract right now for a little bit of money the chances he gets a long term decent contract is higher. Gets paid Barca money + long term deal from new club.

In two years he won't get a new contract if he does nothing but sit on the bench. Gets Barca 2 years money and nothing.

Yannik

Nah man stop being smart dumb.

If he terminates contract right now for a little bit of money the chances he gets a long term decent contract is higher. Gets paid Barca money + long term deal from new club.

In two years he won't get a new contract if he does nothing but sit on the bench. Gets Barca 2 years money and nothing.

what club will pay Martin Braithwaite 6m net?
even half that?

you can assume Braithwaite and his agent will have thought this also through, except realistically the offers you speak off that could break him even do not exist.

Last edited:

feggydinho

what club will pay Martin Braithwaite 6m net?
even half that?

you can assume Braithwaite and his agent will have thought this also through, except realistically the offers you speak off that could break him even do not exist.

Spot on, realistically I don't think any club in Europe would pay him that (except clubs in places like Saudi Arabia), and he knows this. So he's doing what most players in his shoes would, and shaming him would most likely not change anything. I don't even get why we're surprised at what he's doing, what else would a smart person that knows he can't get a massive offer elsewhere do?

El Gato

Villarato!
I don't even get why we're surprised at what he's doing, what else would a smart person that knows he can't get a massive offer elsewhere do?

That's not the surprise.
Surprise is that the profit motive would matter to him considering he's got business on the side. Could be that like many before him he made that dependent on the wage he's negotiated for himself. Ozil had similar situation in Arsenal with his shoe brand, only differing in scale.

Fans are always gonna blast people for this citing lack of ambition and whatnot but hardly ever so simple.
Ramos camp wanted 2 years at Real 'out of respect' yet all know this is unlikely the reason and probably more to do with his real estate business

Then have guys like Modrić who renew year on year and people expect this to be the norm without considering why they do it this way

Can't ever know for sure why players choose to stay despite not playing.

Basso92

Zero chance he will go to Saudi with his 5 kids.
Martin loves USA and considers himself Danish and a bit American. Dads family all live in the US. he wants to play in The MSL

feggydinho

That's not the surprise.
Surprise is that the profit motive would matter to him considering he's got business on the side. Could be that like many before him he made that dependent on the wage he's negotiated for himself. Ozil had similar situation in Arsenal with his shoe brand, only differing in scale.

Fans are always gonna blast people for this citing lack of ambition and whatnot but hardly ever so simple.
Ramos camp wanted 2 years at Real 'out of respect' yet all know this is unlikely the reason and probably more to do with his real estate business

Then have guys like Modrić who renew year on year and people expect this to be the norm without considering why they do it this way

Can't ever know for sure why players choose to stay despite not playing.

The guaranteed money is why they chose to stay without playing, I bet you he leaves immediately if we pay him his 2 year wages. Same thing happens with coaches, they're paid their outstanding wages when their contract is terminated most times.

feggydinho

Missed the point I was making

I don't know if I'm correct, but it seems the point you were making was that he's already wealthy enough and fans don't expect him to still fight for his remaining contract fee. My own point is that the money almost always matters and that even most of the highest-paid players or coaches would try to get as much money as they can get if a club was to terminate their contract. So, I'm saying it's not just a Braitwaithe thing.

Joan

Where did the 12m net figure come from? He's on 6m gross per every report I've seen. That's about 6m net for 2 years.

El Gato

Villarato!
Where did the 12m net figure come from? He's on 6m gross per every report I've seen. That's about 6m net for 2 years.

Dunno. I just put the upper limit based on what Yannik posted

[MENTION=20278]feggydinho[/MENTION]
Not necessarily they wouldn't fight.
Kaka forfeited his wages towards the end of his Real contract.
Circumstances of Auba deal also rather unclear but difficult to imagine Arsenal would have agreed to pay out some 18M (or however much yearly salary on remainder of his contract would have come to) to release him on a free. So either it's on off books fee they paid Auba on signing or he forfeited it too.

Anyway point is that it does happen that they do forego the money. Shouldn't be expected by fans that they do so or that the club buys them out otherwise. Often times players invest their earnings in ventures for tax purposes or otherwise. If Braithwaite has also made his business dependent on Barca contract in some way, it's not like he has much choice in foregoing the money

Last edited:

Rassvet

This is one of the things I like about not supporting a club anymore. It's easier to see a situation like this objectively and accept that players almost always put their own interests first rather than be so angry and outraged over someone not taking a 50-70% wage cut so the club he's leaving can reduce their costs by 1% after his departure.

Especially when that club has outspent everyone else in europe on new players in the last two windows.

The r/soccer thread on this among neutrals is unsurprisingly strongly on Braithwaite's side over this.

Home of Barca Fans