Martin Braithwaite

Reading his wiki page someone will notice that the guy is a businessman outside of his football life.

Braithwaite is the nephew and business partner of the Danish-born, American-based, real estate developer Gareth Roger James Smith. They co-own real estate in the New York Market and are building a high-rise in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Braithwaite is married to French entrepreneur, journalist and television personality Anne-Laure Louis Braithwaite.

This is just pure business for the guy, it's the way these people think. Doesn't matter how much money he has.

Birdy

The notion that they would triple his wages, yet Braithwaite would also demand we rescind his contract so he receives payout of the remainder of his Barca contract. The move to a supposed unnamed Saudi team would be a free transfer- hence no need to payout anything of his Barca contract.

So it may be true that:-
1) Braithwaite has a higher wage offer from Saudi
2) Braithwaite rejects a move as he doesn't want to live there
3) Braithwaite demands payout to have his contract rescinded.

But it wouldn't be true that 1) and 3) are combined. But Sport publishing as so is the classic move of the Barcelona media to turn the fans against players that the club wants to transfer out.

EDIT: Khaled has corrected me that the tax rate for foreigners in Saudi is 20% not 0%. Still the basis remains.

You can't assume that only these 3 options are there.
As I said above, if he was willing to play for a LL club OR a club in Europe (like Ajax) there were solutions.
Barca could pay a portion of his wage.

Again, if he was only in for the money, 1 wouldn't bother him.

To demand payout and contract rescind NO MATTER WHAT is a douchy move under any circumstances

Porque

Oh there is definately more options. I just listed those in the twitter quote from Sport. I think it defies logic to suggest that the player would want both the contract rescinded and to instantly sign for another club after rescinding and getting full payment.

The Barcelona papers are notorious for the boards spin and I think this is yet another case of it to put pressure on Braithwaite to leave. Same pressure that is being put on Frenkie.

But IF it is true, then I agree that it is a proper cunt move. Which again (to me) is why this story has broke. To make Braithwaite look like a cunt.

Birdy

Oh there is definately more options. I just listed those in the twitter quote from Sport. I think it defies logic to suggest that the player would want both the contract rescinded and to instantly sign for another club after rescinding and getting full payment.

The Barcelona papers are notorious for the boards spin and I think this is yet another case of it to put pressure on Braithwaite to leave. Same pressure that is being put on Frenkie.

Well I don't know if Sport is manipulated by the board, but if they do so to put pressure on him, I am fine with that

We have had enough with players who wear the Barca shirt and refuse to leave the club even when underperforming or are even Tier C or D to begin with.
Only under an incompetent board players could accumulate so much power.
The new board should be relentless

khaled_a_d

You are assuming no Saudi team will offer more than what they pay to this de Paula dude.

Why you think so?

If Braithwate is the closest they can get to a European international with minimal recognizability, they might offer him more money

They probably count it as 3m net his Barca salary (those 6 include Spanish taxes). He'd get about 8-9m salary in Saudi League. Not THAT unbelievable, considering Braithwaite would be the best player in the league most likely.

Who the hell is Giuliano de Paula btw? :lol:

Tax rate for foreigner in KSA is 20% from what I know. In Spain it is 45% for such high salary. I already mentioned that.
For Martin to get 3 times his salary, it means getting paid around 12.375M in KSA which is double the current top earner and significant leap from the previous top earner.
Martin himself isn't that recognized as you would think, and actually Saudi league isn't that much into paying such type of players unlike Qatar for example.
I can see them matching his salary if they really believe he would be a good signing there, but treble the salary is a joke journalism tbh and make the source look ridiculous.

MTL_Barca

Why is his salary 6M in the first place. It's still mind blowing how Barto didn't care about money at all.

18M fee and 6M/year, that makes Dembele look like a bargain deal :lol:

serghei

Why is his salary 6M in the first place. It's still mind blowing how Barto didn't care about money at all.

18M fee and 6M/year, that makes Dembele look like a bargain deal :lol:

That's the painful part about it. Guy should have been on an extremely low salary for top team standards. Even a 1.5 net would be more than enough. Plenty of good La Liga level players earn that sum I reckon. 6m salary is absurdly high. He's even too old to maybe hope he has a future somehow.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

All this is correct

The question ,though, is NOT that the spanish clubs can't pay him the Barca wage.
The issue is that he doesn't want to move at all

Case 1: He wants money (despite being billionare)
Why then he doesn't accept the move to Saudi Arabia where his salary will be tripled?

Case 2: He wants a competitive team in Europe to assure him chances for World Cup
Why then he doesn't accept a move to a LL side with Barca paying portion of his salary and the LL side another portion?
Why he didn't want to go to Ajax, when Schreuder wants him there??

Both case 1 and 2 are not the case with this dude.
Because there is something else going on, and I seriously think it's what I and Serghei wrote above.

I explained that already.
The portion is the issue.
He is a guy worth 2M getting paid 6M
What portion do Barca want to pay him? What portion do a Liga club wants to pay him? What portion does Martin will be ok to take as a paycut.
Is the club for example willing to pay him 3M and let other half be paid by other club and Martin himself taking paycut? or is it the club saying we will pay 1M max, we don't care if you get only 2M elsewhere?

Simply, there are ton of facts we don't know and ton of assumptions and hypotheticals there
The party that is really at fault is that board that get him 6M in 1st place.

serghei

Yeah, totally fair the post above. You can't justify paying 6m for someone like Braithwaite, unless you are a team from a shitty league with a lot of money.

khaled_a_d

That's the painful part about it. Guy should have been on an extremely low salary for top team standards. Even a 1.5 net would be more than enough. Plenty of good La Liga level players earn that sum I reckon. 6m salary is absurdly high. He's even too old to maybe hope he has a future somehow.

Iago Aspas at 2.6M while being a far better player career wise and on Martin level during that season. This should have been his market value

serghei

When Messi is on 200m then what's 6m for a Danish Realtor :lol:

Exactly the mindset of that clown. Imagine spending money that are not yours, making that a source of pride, and when shit hits the fan you leave and let others sort out the mess.

Bartomeu is Gilderoy Lockhart of Barcelona.

serghei

Iago Aspas at 2.6M while being a far better player career wise and on Martin level during that season. This should have been his market value

Pff, Aspas is actually a star of La Liga (elite clubs excluded) compared to Braithey. Aspas is on 2.6m gross or net?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I repeat points:
A. His salary would probably be quite a bit less at another club. There are also other aspects such as moving etc, that we know nothing about, that can influence HIS decision.

Purportedly there is a club willing to pay him triple his annual wages but only if he comes for free - split the difference and get a fee

B. Braithwaite is 31 and if his contract runs out at 32, the club can't really have expected to get a significant transfer fee in return. I think the previous board didn't care at all about what would happen long term though.

Who said significant? If that means free then yes that is significant to Barca. You can't have your cake and eat it too - Martin wants to go for free and then get higher wages despite his parent club having invested a large fee for him. It's more natural for Barca to at least recoup something for someone who has simply collected a paycheck

C. A move would probably benefit all parties but the player, he has all the right to look out for himself primarily for the remaining couple of years of his career.

Greed from part of player. Club should look out for itself and get some return on their investment

Douchy is to sign a contract with someone and then expect the other part to go out of his way for you not to fulfill the contract when things change.

Douche is expecting to either fulfill the contract never playing, only collecting a paycheck from a club that invested heavily in you.

You have no idea of the situation else you wouldn't arrive at such a preposterous conclusion

Home of Barca Fans