Martin Braithwaite

Bobo32

Barca paid a fee to bring him here and give him better wages, refusing to be sold when he is no longer a priority benefits both the player & club that improved his situation. Else, it's selfishly looking out for himself - of course he has the right to do this but it does not change it being a douche move

Lewandowski was valued but they wouldn't improve his contract and he wanted to leave with the parent club getting a fee - how is that similar?

No it isn't similar, Braithwaite was always a mediocre player but by chance he got a dream move to Barcelona. In what way does it benefit him, a father of two I read, to give away a lot of money in order to play a few more games of football before he retire, probably for a mediocre club, while having to move etc etc? His contract is the fault of the previous board, not the fault of him, and he has all the right (morally and otherwise) to stay out his contract.

Lewandowski should not really expect an IMPROVED contract at age 32, and he should honour the contract which he signed, and not behave unprofessionally to force a move.

Messi983

Don't like just letting players go for free. It sets a bad example. Next we'll hear Memphis also wants to rescind his contract. Or a bum like Mavericky (won't happen with him I know, he'd rather stay on the stands for a whole season than leave).

If Saudi club wants Martin and he accepts going there why they couldn't pay at least 2-3m for him. It's not much but you do that with 3-4 players and it could be 10m.

Slevinn

We can't unregister them and only have 25 1st team spots, as of now we have like 28 players and are still looking to sign Azpi and maybe a LB too.

Also coaches should be able to focus on our actual players in training instead of bums that just sit in the stands all year.

Better to just get rid of them, even if it doesn't save us any money imo.
Didn?t know you couldn?t unregister players.

It?s also about the principle for me, now we pay him his full contract while he can go to any club in the world that wants him and also get paid by them. Just doesn?t feel right but nothing we can do I guess.

khaled_a_d

Didn?t know you couldn?t unregister players.

It?s also about the principle for me, now we pay him his full contract while he can go to any club in the world that wants him and also get paid by them. Just doesn?t feel right but nothing we can do I guess.

If we terminate his contract, he doesn't get to benefit financially from it. Whatever salary he agrees with another club, is removed from the salary we give him.
Basically the rule stands so that player don't be harmed by their club, nit to punish clubs.
Also it seems like a mutual agreement, so he gets paid some of salary and go and look elsewhere

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
No it isn't similar, Braithwaite was always a mediocre player but by chance he got a dream move to Barcelona. In what way does it benefit him, a father of two I read, to give away a lot of money in order to play a few more games of football before he retire, probably for a mediocre club, while having to move etc etc? His contract is the fault of the previous board, not the fault of him, and he has all the right (morally and otherwise) to stay out his contract.

Lewandowski should not really expect an IMPROVED contract at age 32, and he should honour the contract which he signed, and not behave unprofessionally to force a move.

A. He does not give away money by agreeing to be transferred by the club that invested to get him in the first place, he continues to draw a salary
B. I am particularly referring to the morality aspect that makes him a douche. Holding out on a contract only to to have it rescinded so he can go and sign another contract with the club that invested him getting nothing is immoral. His profile is higher since arriving at such a big club than it was before, his ability to draw any future contract is linked to that
C. No one debates the fault of the original contract, I am focusing on the player's intransigence to facilitate a move that benefits all parties instead of just himself

Bobo32

A. He does not give away money by agreeing to be transferred by the club that invested to get him in the first place, he continues to draw a salary
B. I am particularly referring to the morality aspect that makes him a douche. Holding out on a contract only to to have it rescinded so he can go and sign another contract with the club that invested him getting nothing is immoral. His profile is higher since arriving at such a big club than it was before, his ability to draw any future contract is linked to that
C. No one debates the fault of the original contract, I am focusing on the player's intransigence to facilitate a move that benefits all parties instead of just himself

I repeat points:
A. His salary would probably be quite a bit less at another club. There are also other aspects such as moving etc, that we know nothing about, that can influence HIS decision.
B. Braithwaite is 31 and if his contract runs out at 32, the club can't really have expected to get a significant transfer fee in return. I think the previous board didn't care at all about what would happen long term though.
C. A move would probably benefit all parties but the player, he has all the right to look out for himself primarily for the remaining couple of years of his career.

Douchy is to sign a contract with someone and then expect the other part to go out of his way for you not to fulfill the contract when things change.
If FC Barcelona does not want to pay him what is rightfully his in the way they agreed, then they should try and negotiate a termination of the contract. It is douchy to bring morality into the business equation, especially when it is "the club" doing it vs the player.

edit: lol, his contract runs to 2024, I just read. So it should be priority for Barcelona to get rid of him, but it is not the player who should be charitable here, he can stay and play football to the best of his limited ability for the length of his contract without anyone having the right to criticize him, if he wants to.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Players have every right to sit our their contract, if they value money higher than the sport.

But understandably fans won't be happy with that, so of course they get called all kind of stuff online. These guys already have more money than anyone would ever need, not like we need to feel bad for them if they get called a shameless leech in a forum.

Slevinn

If we terminate his contract, he doesn't get to benefit financially from it. Whatever salary he agrees with another club, is removed from the salary we give him.
Basically the rule stands so that player don't be harmed by their club, nit to punish clubs.
Also it seems like a mutual agreement, so he gets paid some of salary and go and look elsewhere
Thanks for the explanation.

Sooke

Why terminate the contract? Or is it a mutual agreement?
Would rather see these bums spend a year in the stands then paying them their full contract to leave.

That is a good point. There is no mutual agreement on the termination. Yes, it is better to keep both Braithwaite and Depay on the bench instead of paying off their full salaries at once. There is also information that Saudi club owner has proposed multi-million contract to Martin. Let's hope it can go through.

Andresito

Staff member
Surely there must be some incentive to leave considering it's World Cup in a few months. That's why I think he'll leave soon.

ajnotkeith

@relevo

Barca gave Braithwaite a letter of freedom but he still rejects any potential move and refers to his two years of contract remaining.

Home of Barca Fans