Martin Montoya

F

Flavia

When has Lucho ever said he doesnt count on him?

I know through his actions he doesnt seem to rate him but cant remember Lucho ever saying he is free to go or isnt needed.

Might have missed it but though he has said the opposite and he could still have a role to play of works hard.

Playing douglas against huesca was a sign he counts on Montoya, right? :rolleyes:

Lucho about him, this past week: “Montoya está trabajando para cambiar una fase desagradable. No es una fase infinita y yo le animo a seguir trabajando y a esperar su oportunidad, si aparece. Si no es así, estará preparado para afrontar cualquier cosa en el futuro”. Lucho always said things like that, when asked about him. It doesn't take a genius to see he is not counting on Montoya at all. Alves was suspended last night, Martin wasn't even on the squad.

And here's Montoya's agent today: http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/luis-enrique-quiere-montoya-por-temas-futbolisticos-3764951

Yeah, Lucho has never gone full Bielsa (w/ Doria) on Montoya.

Because that's not his profile... But md had a piece not long ago, saying Lucho told zubi he wasn't counting on Montoya since day one. Zubi, the genius he is, instead of finding him a team, let this happen.

JamDav1982

Playing douglas against huesca was a sign he counts on Montoya, right? :rolleyes:

Lucho about him, this past week: “Montoya está trabajando para cambiar una fase desagradable. No es una fase infinita y yo le animo a seguir trabajando y a esperar su oportunidad, si aparece. Si no es así, estará preparado para afrontar cualquier cosa en el futuro”. Lucho always said things like that, when asked about him. It doesn't take a genius to see he is not counting on Montoya at all. Alves was suspended last night, Martin wasn't even on the squad.

And here's Montoya's agent today: http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/luis-enrique-quiere-montoya-por-temas-futbolisticos-3764951

Am I not trying to say he counts on him or rates him, clearly I said the opposite.

But cant remember him ever coming out and saying he doesnt count on him. That hasnt happened.

F

Flavia

Am I not trying to say he counts on him or rates him, clearly I said the opposite.

But cant remember him ever coming out and saying he doesnt count on him. That hasnt happened.

He didn't need to. Actions speak louder than words, anyway.

JamDav1982

He didn't need to. Actions speak louder than words, anyway.

I totally agree but thought I might have missed him saying it as you said he had done so many times.

Which I think would totally have been the wrong thing to do.

Clearly Lucho didnt fancy Montoya for this system but the club did try and get Cuadrado but it didnt happen. From there they seem to have not thought there is any upgrade on Alves and taken a cheap punt on Douglas.

I dont really blame Zubi for not getting rid of Montoya at that point to be honest.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Montoya's agent said that Monty had some talks with Lucho where Monty got told that Alves, Douglas and even Adriano is ahead of him in the pecking order.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I don't agree with you. The coach has said time and again he is not counting on Montoya, and played douglas ahead of him twice already. The club has little leverage to use. Martin wants to go badly, and in definitive. His agent has used the press to put pressure, and as Lucho won't change his mind, there's only left to know where will he go, and for how much. Maybe a buy-back option, but I doubt he'll accept to leave on loan.

Well I think differently. If you think the club has little leverage to use, then Montoya has none. Montoya might want to leave and his agent might be pressuring, but at the end of the day, it is the club that holds the decision. They can just as easily say they count on Montoya for depth and hold him until the summer, and there is nothing Montoya or his agent can do about it short of starting to badmouth the club to the press, which might just as well hurt Montoya too. If they find him no agreeable sale deal but a loan deal instead, you think Montoya would rather ride the pine the rest of the season instead of leaving on loan? I think not.

Though for what it's worth, I don't think it'll come to any of this. I think the club wants to end this amicably and will find something agreeable to the player.

the thing is, unless its actually true that Montoya doesn't train properly at all, its barça's reputation that is going to suffer, not Montoya.

And if on top of that the club would close the door this winter (they won't) that would be very damaging indeed

F

Flavia

Well I think differently. If you think the club has little leverage to use, then Montoya has none. Montoya might want to leave and his agent might be pressuring, but at the end of the day, it is the club that holds the decision. They can just as easily say they count on Montoya for depth and hold him until the summer, and there is nothing Montoya or his agent can do about it short of starting to badmouth the club to the press, which might just as well hurt Montoya too. If they find him no agreeable sale deal but a loan deal instead, you think Montoya would rather ride the pine the rest of the season instead of leaving on loan? I think not.

Though for what it's worth, I don't think it'll come to any of this. I think the club wants to end this amicably and will find something agreeable to the player.

Montoya has none? How about not being in the coach's plan at all? That's leverage enough for me, and zubi did bring douglas, didn't he? And that's why they won't make anything difficult for him. No point in keeping a player that won't play. The most they'll get is a buy-back.

Zangash

Banned

Yes. Mes que un club, after all.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Sumlit,

Why would the club keep Montoya when Lucho don't want him? He would never play. Even if he's our last RB left, Lucho will probably change the formation like in the PSG game because he apparently believes that Montoya don't have the attacking quality needed.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
the thing is, unless its actually true that Montoya doesn't train properly at all, its barça's reputation that is going to suffer, not Montoya.

And if on top of that the club would close the door this winter (they won't) that would be very damaging indeed

I don't see how they'd lose reputation. All they'd have to say is they count on Montoya for depth at the position and that's the end of it. He would still be under contract, he would still be getting payed, and if he and his agent started to badmouth the club to the press, they can just as easily come across as petty and problematic, and Montoya is not enough a household name nor has he shown to be a huge talent to afford to be labeled as a problematic player.

It sucks for him, but he is at the mercy of the club.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I haven't read the last 20 pages on this thread. Can someone give me a quick rundown on why a mediocre youth product leaving is causing so much debate? Was it something Lucho said, or is it the lack of RBs in the squad?

Home of Barca Fans