Martin Montoya

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Montoya has none? How about not being in the coach's plan at all? That's leverage enough for me, and zubi did bring douglas, didn't he? And that's why they won't make anything difficult for him. No point in keeping a player that won't play. The most they'll get is a buy-back.

Not being in the coaches plan and wanting to leave is no leverage at all. Player is still under contract and at the service of the club. If the club doesn't want to sell him what will the player do? Sulk in the corner and stop playing? Well he doesn't play already so that means nothing. Will he stop going to practices? Club can penalize him for that. Montoya is pretty much in a very tough spot, club has final decision.

Sumlit,

Why would the club keep Montoya when Lucho don't want him? He would never play. Even if he's our last RB left, Lucho will probably change the formation like in the PSG game because he apparently believes that Montoya don't have the attacking quality needed.

Yeah i don't think the club intends to be dicks and screw Montoya over. I think they'll work something out, but I'm not ruling out a loan either.

Some may think buying douglas, then keeping montoya without playing either of them is senseless, hence further damaging the club's reputation. Doing senseless things never looks good.

JamDav1982

Some may think buying douglas, then keeping montoya without playing either of them is senseless, hence further damaging the club's reputation. Doing senseless things never looks good.

It wont damage the clubs reputation in the slightest.

Things like that happen at all clubs.

Stric

Let's all just remember for a moment that for a while, Montoya was widely regarded as a much greater prospect than Bartra. Fast forward a season or two, Bartra is the MOTM in a Barca-PSG CL game, and Montoya is not good enough to be ahead of Douglas. What happened? Their talent levels didn't suddenly change. It's a mature of nurture, not nature.

F

Flavia

Not being in the coaches plan and wanting to leave is no leverage at all. Player is still under contract and at the service of the club. If the club doesn't want to sell him what will the player do? Sulk in the corner and stop playing? Well he doesn't play already so that means nothing. Will he stop going to practices? Club can penalize him for that. Montoya is pretty much in a very tough spot, club has final decision.
If this was a north korea team, I'd agree with you. That's not the way to treat players. They're employees, not slaves or hostages. Contracts are not unbreakable chains.

khaled_a_d

I don't see how they'd lose reputation. All they'd have to say is they count on Montoya for depth at the position and that's the end of it. He would still be under contract, he would still be getting payed, and if he and his agent started to badmouth the club to the press, they can just as easily come across as petty and problematic, and Montoya is not enough a household name nor has he shown to be a huge talent to afford to be labeled as a problematic player.

It sucks for him, but he is at the mercy of the club.

It isn't about the media or the fans to just do that,it is about players& agents.reputation that the club is in good relation with agents/players is huge for any club in its transfers .you can never lose that

Stric

No club will keep a player against his own will, especially not an inexpensive player. It's simple logic.

Kohe321

Refusing to sell him when the coach obviously doesn't want to play him ever, effectively screwing him and his career over, would be such a dick move that Barcelona would only come off as incredibly spiteful and dumb. The contract he signed a while ago was under different circumstances and a different coach. His hopes and dreams for what his path in Barcelona was going to be was completely different back then. That's why Flavia is absolutely right, them holding him to his contract refusing to sell him when he openly wishes to leave just won't happen, no chance. If Bartomeu and Co. actually did that, they would have sunk so low that they are litterally digging at the bottom trying to reach new ground.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
I doubt Barca will refuse to sell him. However if the likes of Juve come with poverty bids like € 1M in 20 installments, which would be typical of Juve, Barca isn't obliged to let him leave just like that. If he wants to go he needs to find a club that pays up a reasonable fee. He's not worth his buyout clause but nevertheless € 7M at least should be fair.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I doubt Barca will refuse to sell him. However if the likes of Juve come with poverty bids like € 1M in 20 installments, which would be typical of Juve, Barca isn't obliged to let him leave just like that. If he wants to go he needs to find a club that pays up a reasonable fee. He's not worth his buyout clause but nevertheless € 7M at least should be fair.

If it's anything under 10M Euros, a buyback option is a must.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Thank you Ursegor, for understanding my point.

F

Flavia

Villa was sold for 2m. Montoya hasn't played in ages, that won't help his market value much. I honestly expect him to be sold for less than what was paid for douglasmito.

JamDav1982

Villa was sold for 2m. Montoya hasn't played in ages, that won't help his market value much. I honestly expect him to be sold for less than what was paid for douglasmito.

Villa was sold for that as he was due to start a contract that increased his wages hugely at a time he was declining.

The club also helped him with his choice of move to Atletico when could have got more for him from England basically as a thank you to the way he behaved that previous January.

Would be suprised if Montoya went for less than Douglas unless there was a some kind of buy back clause.

Kohe321

If there are PL clubs interested I wouldn't be too worried about getting payed enough. He's not CL bound either, which is a bonus.

By the way saw this quote on Barcastuff, and don't think it has been posted here:

Carrasco: "Club appreciate him, but the coach doesn't believe in him. It's a pure football issue, nothing personal."

This is just so hard to understand from Enrique. He's creating a massive hole at our RB position next summer. Are we going to re-sign Alves in 2015 then, or what is Lucho planning to compensate for this? Is he happy with the idea of having Adriano and Douglas as the go-to guys at RB? Or maybe he believes the transferban will be removed? If his plan is to have Adriano and Douglas cover RB, then God help us if Adriano picks up an injury...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans