Martin Montoya

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Say what? You want Montoya to be our first choice RB and Douglas our backup? Sure Alves has had a long streak of bad games, but he's been the best (attacking) wingback in the world almost since he came from Sevilla, and he's found his form again. I'm happy for him, hope he continues.

Even if Montoya were to live up to his potential as first choice, if he ever went down injured or got injured, we'd have to play Douglas **shudders**.

Alves must be given a renewal.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
But not for 8M/year.
Unless we can do that whole loophole thing where we make an agreement this summer transfer window to bring in a player in the winter window, Alves must be given a 1 year contract renewal. It's essential.

F

Flavia

We can, actually. Alves hasn't been a standout performer, even in the games where he has played well. Montoya having a bad game as part of an entirely awful game of football doesn't mean that Dani would not have. It's easy to forget this when he isn't playing, but Dani has pretty long spells of playing like shit himself.

Alves' bad games are still better than Montoya's. No comparison, really. We can't lose Alves.

serghei

Alves' bad games are still better than Montoya's. No comparison, really. We can't lose Alves.

Yea, and it's not even about performances, because great players can have bad games anytime. Hell, Alexis had an awful 8 months or so. Suarez has an awful scoring rate so far, and so on. With Montoya, it is down to the value of the player, which is not that great. I never saw huge potential in him in the first place tbh.

But not for 8M/year.

He has more than earned that sum, for how much he gave to the team in the last 7 years.

Last edited:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He has more than earned that sum, for how much he gave to the team in the last 7 years.

I agree. Besides, we're in a tricky situation right now - but even IF we didn't have a ban over us, with the performances Alves is putting in the last 2 months he would be renewed anyway because there's no other players out there that could do what Alves does when on form. Alves bad form was also not only his own fault, tbh the whole team played like shit after the turbulence with coaches, board etc etc etc. Now all of a sudden Piquenbauer is back, Masch is freaking beasting it, Raki has started to play some ball, Messi is better than ever (how is that even possible?!), Neymar is fantastic and so on. When the team looked like falling apart, of course Alves couldn't save us by himself, he sucked like the rest of the team.
I also like his personality, bananalves!

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
2 or 3 years so we can make some profit off him :mou:

Alves apparently also want a longer contract than just one year.

Alarcón

I agree, we should. But for now, at least a 1 year extension is a must. And then we can renegotiate later.

I don't think he'll accept a 1 year extension or it would already be done. My guess is he wants a secure future at Barça but the club are not willing to pay his wages for more than 1 year knowing his level could drop significantly and knowing they can sign a successor next year, after which they wouldn't need him anymore.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I don't think he'll accept a 1 year extension or it would already be done. My guess is he wants a secure future at Barça but the club are not willing to pay his wages for more than 1 year knowing his level could drop significantly.

That makes sense I guess. He should get a 2-3 year renewal then. At least then, if his level does drop, we could sell him. And we'd have the RB position covered for next season.

Zangash

Banned

No, that simply isn't true. A bad Alves game ruins the entire team offensively by conceding possession every time he gets the ball with his crosses to either nobody or the opposing defense, as he never looks for anyone in the box and on many occasions has crossed it into the box when the only one there is the goalkeeper and CB duo, and he is damn near never actually in our own half to defend his man. One could say that playing with X player means the team is playing 10 on 11, but with Alves on a bad day we're actually playing 10 on 12. Not even Douglas on his worst day would be as dreadful as Alves on a bad day, because Douglas is at least willing to give an effort.

If Alves wants to maintain his current form (Which won't last when the new board comes in this summer and sacks Lucho in favor of an actual manager who probably won't play Messi on the wing anymore), then yes, we can't afford to lose him. If he drops this new form in February or March and goes back to being the useless sack of shit he's been since 2012, he can piss off. Montoya and Douglas wouldn't be any worse than him.

el chilenito

Montoya was alright, did what he had to do thats it, I still feel secure with him at rb despite his attacking flaws because he tries to defend and play it safe., the way I see it, alves on a bad day guarantees us conceeding a leaked goal while also destroying our attacking movement, montoya on a bad day wont contribute to attack and might get caught out at times but not to the extent of alves where he would be nowhere to be seen.

Home of Barca Fans