Martin Montoya

anguy

The thing I notice about Montoya is he tends to pass the ball that sometimes put trouble to his teammates, happened too many times in the last game

He's not only one who is doing that. It drives me mad when I watch the game and some of our players pass to teammate surrounded by 3 opponents (while he has either lot of space or another free teammate, just more distant). It seems to be some kind of La Masia virus. Being selfish is definitely not good, but sometimes I feel like we pass just for the sake of passing, many players don't think to whom they are passing.

Gnidrologist

[VINE]https://vine.co/v/OddAhieEWvF[/VINE]

Sure.

Seriously now, they're not even in the same league.
If there was Alves.. oh wait, he wouldn't be there at that point at all. Defensively Montoya > Alves, because he shows up at least. And that was just a slip anyway.

Yes, offensively he is meh, but not much worse than current Alves. His linkups with Messi mostly lead to nothing, but in 90% of cases he wouldn't even do that, but instead:
1) makes worthless cross to nowhere
2) makes failed dribble
3) makes wild shot at pigeons
4) when trying to press high up the field, makes inevitable fault, because he's slow and weak now
In all theses cases he concedes possession. 10% of cases when he does something useful does not compensate for that. Montoya will at least retain possession, by passing back instead of being a smart ass and few of the crosses he makes have actual potential to be dangerous, because he makes them low and tries to aim instead of balooning.

Alves is also way too old for FB position. Strength and pace are among the most important stats there. If Xavi and Iniesta declined heavily after turning 30 despite their position being less physically demanding, then what can you expect from 32+ year fullback, who needs to bomb up and down the square for 90 mins?
Let him go.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
He was pretty decent against Cordoba and it was after 3 months sitting on the bench, even against Elche he had more tackles (4) than any other Barca player, motivation is there, energy is there, he just needs to play more.

Gnidrologist

He is less of a liability than Alves at this point and we're talking about this point, not unforeseeable future, when we'll get a proper replacement.

Alik

He is less of a liability than Alves at this point and we're talking about this point, not unforeseeable future, when we'll get a proper replacement.

Alves has stepped up his game recently. I don't know if he'll keep it up but at this point they are not even in the same league.

ATLBarcaFan

If Alves leaves, that position becomes a huge liability next season. Montoya has no business playing for Barca, send him to the EPL to play with a bottom half of the table team.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Whatever happens we should keep both Alves and Montoya because of the transfer ban. If Montoya stays maybe he'll improve, maybe not - but we can't let Douglas anywhere near Barcelona's first team.

F

Flavia

Yeah, massively. After first rumours about him possibly leaving most of the members acted like we're losing out on the next Cafu/...

Well, when the replacement is douglas, that's understandable :D

But Alves has to stay. The right side loses a lot without him.

BBZ8800

Some overrate Montoya a lot here.

Most of fans on this forum are overrating every single young player.
There is some strange obsession with younger players.

Also, people are overrating the impact of playing in the first team/coaches etc.
Too many times we can read posts:
1. he would be awesome if he would be given more chances (a player is a crap, but people say that he would be better if he played more)
2. coaches should work with him in that area and he will improve hugely (a player has horrible decisions on a pitch. People think that it is easy to fix problems like that one)
3. or: he was ruined because of bad loans, bad coaches, lack of minutes in the first team etc.

It seems that some people think that all we have to do is:
1. give minutes in the first team to youngsters
2. and tell them what they are doing wrong
= that's it. (Some potential+minutes in the first team+help of coaches) = and they will become 1st team players, lol.

No they won't.
Some players like Montoya and similar are not crap because of a lack of first team football/bad coaches/random reasons.
He is a crap because he is a crap. (Not a crap, but not good enough for Barca)

Last edited:

Darko

Whatever happens we should keep both Alves and Montoya because of the transfer ban. If Montoya stays maybe he'll improve, maybe not - but we can't let Douglas anywhere near Barcelona's first team.

this, we don't have a choice but to keep him and hope he improves

Stric

The weird thing about him is that he was showing much more potential two or three years ago than he does now. I don't know why that is, I was just noticing.

Home of Barca Fans