Martin Montoya

JamDav1982

So in your opinion Alves played well, aside from his mistake? I watched the game and I saw him playing abysmally in both attack and defense. For all his offensive contribution we still had 3 shots on target in 94 minutes of play.

I'm not denying Alves is the better player. I'm saying I'd rather not play someone who is poor defensively as a defender. I seriously don't care if it's Montoya, Bartra, or Mascherano playing RB, so long as it's not Alves.

No Alves didnt play well yesterday but has been much better than Montoya this season and is by far the best all round RB at the club.

None of Montoya, Batra or Mascherano will play anywhere near as well with Messi as Alves does in majority of games.

Zangash

Banned
No Alves didnt play well yesterday but has been much better than Montoya this season and is by far the best all round RB at the club.

None of Montoya, Batra or Mascherano will play anywhere near as well with Messi as Alves does in majority of games.

He had one period of two months, in the past several seasons, where he actually played well or linked up with Messi. That's far, far from the "Majority of games". Messi doesn't need a RB to link up with him to be effective. It's just fun to watch.

JamDav1982

He had one period of two months, in the past several seasons, where he actually played well or linked up with Messi. That's far, far from the "Majority of games". Messi doesn't need a RB to link up with him to be effective. It's just fun to watch.

Of course Messi doesnt 'need' a right back to link up with but he is better if he has one.

Messi played in the middle last season when Montoya played more so its not really all that relevant compared to this season.

SeloBarca

Really? Alves and Messi has linked up well for several seasons. One of the players Messi links up with the most in the team.

Stric

Really? Alves and Messi has linked up well for several seasons. One of the players Messi links up with the most in the team.

Alves blindly passing to Messi every time he gets the ball should be excluded from the total picture of that "link-up". Once you ignore those, there's very little left.

And when Alves really does make a really good pass to Messi, once or twice a season (like that time against PSG), everyone will jump and start talking about that "natural chemistry" again. Ridiculous. The truth is, that linkup has been non-existing for seasons already, and Messi curently has and has had better chemistry with several other players, including even Fabregas, who was allegedly "in his way". But for some reason, if Alves makes that pass, it's hyped beyond anything else.

Last edited:

el chilenito

Totally agree with stric. Alves link up play with messi is not as unbelievable as people make it out to be, truth be told he only passes to messi so people will think he has great chemistry when in fact he just doesnt pass it to anyone else. Messi and neymar have better chemistry, messi cesc and sanchez had better understanding and chemistry. I would much rather play montoya than dani at rb at the moment because dani as a defender is a liability and majority of goals conceded is due to him not even trying to be in a defensive position and getting caught out. Montoya will never be at peak dani alves level but at least he knows his prime position is to be a defender first and attacker second instead of the other way around.

Cule4life

The Culest
Alves blindly passing to Messi every time he gets the ball should be excluded from the total picture of that "link-up". Once you ignore those, there's very little left.

And when Alves really does make a really good pass to Messi, once or twice a season (like that time against PSG), everyone will jump and start talking about that "natural chemistry" again. Ridiculous. The truth is, that linkup has been non-existing for seasons already, and Messi curently has and has had better chemistry with several other players, including even Fabregas, who was allegedly "in his way". But for some reason, if Alves makes that pass, it's hyped beyond anything else.

1374945961hit-the-nail-on-the-head-jpg.jpg

Home of Barca Fans