Martin Montoya

anguy

He played very well, he was even more involved in offense, than it's usual. People are too harsh on him, remember he has not played for some time and it's always difficult to play without match practice, especially against team like Villareal.

JamDav1982

Alves can't defend to save his life and his attacking contributions are almost entirely based on reputation alone.

Montoya may not be better, but Alves certainly isn't as superior as you think he is.

Alves is not nearly as bad a defender as you make out and is much better going forwards and in possession than Montoya.

Strange for a player that cant defend or go forward that so many top clubs are in for him.

Gnidrologist

Alves is not nearly as bad a defender as you make out and is much better going forwards and in possession than Montoya.
He is not bad defender. He is no defender AT ALL. He doesn't even run back anymore, which means that every time there is a counter attack we are having 3 defenders instead of 4. Plus, he makes idiotic blunders like he's been smoking weed before entering the pitch. His offensive significance is so negligible that having him on the field isn't even playing with one player less, it's like having one of our players playing for the opposite team. With Montoya we can at least be sure he will cover his defensive zones and wont make spontaneous brainfarts.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He is not bad defender. He is no defender AT ALL. He doesn't even run back anymore, which means that every time the is a counter attack we are having 3 defenders instead of 4. Plus, he makes idiotic blunders like he's been smoking weed before entering the pitch. His offensive significance is so negligible that having him on the field isn't even playing with one player less, it's even worse.

Not true at all, Alves gets up and down the pitch fine and I am sure actually makes more tackles than any other player in team.

He gets caught up park as he is expected to be there not because he is lazy.

Alves is still one of the best RBs in the world for Barca and if it wasnt for his age he would be perfect.

Gnidrologist

No he isn't. Most of his many tackles are fouls and whether his inability to track back is caused by laziness or being old geezer is irrelevant. He is a liability and his attacking threat currently non existent. Our offensive trio can create chances just fine without his help. Our weakness currently is shaky defense and Alves has a lion's share of contribution there.

JamDav1982

No he isn't. Most of his many tackles are fouls and whether his inability to track back is caused by laziness or being old geezer is irrelevant. He is a liability and his attacking threat currently non existent. Our offensive trio can create chances just fine without his help. Our weakness currently is shaky defense and Alves has a lion's share of contribution there.

Not saying he doesnt track back, I am saying he is asked to play such an advanced roled he cant possibly make it back in time.

There is barely a full back as fit as Alba in world football and he gets caught up park just as much.

No his tackling stats dont count fouls and his stats are best in team for that.

Gnidrologist

^This. He struts back calmly as if he was doing the morning cross-country jog basically saying ''meh, those guys at the back will cover my ass anyway lel''.

serghei

Alves is one of the players who give their all on the field. 100% true professional. Sometimes he makes mistakes, but that's because he tries to make things happen instead of playing it safe 99% of the time, like an ordinary fullback would.

JamDav1982

^This. He struts back calmly as if he was doing the morning cross-country jog basically saying ''meh, those guys at the back will cover my ass anyway lel''.

He doesnt do that through lack of effort or fitness it is because it would be physically impossible to ask him to be a player that more or less plays as an attacking midfielder at times to get back and defend every time.

The team know he cant do that and it is the responsibility of other players in the system to help out and defend on his side - Rakitic being the best at it.

Alves has declined a bit but there is not many, if any, better right backs for Barca just now.

Alarcón

Alves is one of the players who give their all on the field. 100% true professional. Sometimes he makes mistakes, but that's because he tries to make things happen instead of playing it safe 99% of the time, like an ordinary fullback would.

Last season and the season before I wouldn't have agreed with you. He was jogging back comfortably like defending was none of his business, even in the dying minutes of the game. I remember very well how he was complaining and merely walking back in the absolute last minute against Getafe and we conceded the 2-2 from a cross from his side.

serghei

I remember very well how he was complaining and merely walking back in the absolute last minute against Getafe and we conceded the 2-2 from a cross from his side.

Do you also remember very well his brilliant assist to Messi for the 1st goal? This is Alves, sometimes he loses the ball and the other team exploits the space. That doesn't happen at often as some imply. If it did, we wouldn't be the team with the best goals against average in La Liga.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans