Martin Montoya

xavi_the_Boss

Montoya should get more starts.He is better defensively then alves imo and always played good when he got the chance.He also played already in 2 classicos so there is no excuse that he isn´t ready for big matches.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It's very unlikely that he will get to play vs Milan. However he should get MUCH more playing time than he does now. How long has it been since he has played? As we are pretty much out of the CL and la liga is wrapped up, it would be better to bench Alves more often in favor of Montoya. The fix for next season would be getting CB depth and slowly integrating Montoya into a starting position over Alves.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Montoya was solid today and made us more secure defensively. He covered well for Masch when he went up to tackle the opposition attackers.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He made some crucial mistakes tonight, but he needs more time at LB and he was up against Navas so it was no easy feat... The most important thing is that Alba got some rest...

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I don't blame him for making these mistakes, When was the last time he got any minutes.

Oh yeah, me neither! It's not his natural position and he was against Navas who is quite skilled, so it's more like a heads up than a reprimand...

Stric

This might easily sound like a conspiracy theory, but the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that there's maybe some kind of a problem between Montoya and the staff/club. There's no way he's healthy, on form, playing as well as he does, and just isn't getting any minutes without a particular reason.

impeh

Hi, its me..
There were a few rumors a while ago that he and.. think it was tello? perhaps didnt train properly or something.

Would explain why he and tello were out of the squad for a while.

Irish_Cules

This might easily sound like a conspiracy theory, but the more I think about it, the more it seems to me that there's maybe some kind of a problem between Montoya and the staff/club. There's no way he's healthy, on form, playing as well as he does, and just isn't getting any minutes without a particular reason.

I don't know...I doubt that is the case. When I watched Montoya at the start of the season I thought he was great and was certain to challenge Dani for the right back spot and become first choice by next season. The more he played though his inexperience showed. He was still doing very well but he still has a lot to learn. I would like to see him get more minutes also but we have to remember that he has Adriano ahead of him as back up choice who has been brilliant this season. Alves was poor at the start of the season and that coincided with Montoya's quite regular playing time, but he has been our best defender the 2nd half of the season so its harder for him to get minutes. So ye, Montoya probably should be getting more minutes but you can see why he isn't.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't know...I doubt that is the case. When I watched Montoya at the start of the season I thought he was great and was certain to challenge Dani for the right back spot and become first choice by next season. The more he played though his inexperience showed. He was still doing very well but he still has a lot to learn. I would like to see him get more minutes also but we have to remember that he has Adriano ahead of him as back up choice who has been brilliant this season. Alves was poor at the start of the season and that coincided with Montoya's quite regular playing time, but he has been our best defender the 2nd half of the season so its harder for him to get minutes. So ye, Montoya probably should be getting more minutes but you can see why he isn't.

Alves has been FAR from our best defender. He's probably been our worst defender actually. Multiple assists and being vital in attack doesn't mean he's a good defender, it just means that he is neglecting his defensive duties in favor of getting all the limelight in attack. I seriously don't even feel like categorizing him as a right back anymore. He's basically a right winger who sometimes tracks back for defense.

Stric

At one point this season, Dani had a streak of several really, really bad games, with horrific defending. And obviously even that didn't put his spot on the line one bit. I'm really having trouble figuring out what on Earth Dani has to do wrong, and what magic Montoya has to pull to see them switch places even for 5 mins.

Stric

Alves has been FAR from our best defender. He's probably been our worst defender actually. Multiple assists and being vital in attack doesn't mean he's a good defender, it just means that he is neglecting his defensive duties in favor of getting all the limelight in attack. I seriously don't even feel like categorizing him as a right back anymore. He's basically a right winger who sometimes tracks back for defense.

This.

Indignado

Not true. I don't even think he was particularly good yesterday. He loses the ball way too often which can be crucial against better teams than Deportivo. He makes over 10 crosses every game without looking where his team mates are or whether passing the ball would be a better option. With so many crosses it's no wonder one will be turned into a goal at some point. Plus, he rarely tracks back which is deadly when he's playing together with Alba. I don't expect the management to leave out either of the two against Milan, though.

Home of Barca Fans