Martin Montoya

starman

Neither is Alba. Alba tends to move forward quite a lot more, actually.

I believe in Montoya. Sure, he's never going to be at his 100% when playing in the left, but he can still do the job.

With all due respect to Montoya but you cannot compare Alba's defensive abilities to Montoya's. Alba pushes forward a lot but he is so fast he can track back in most cases.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I'd give him a run against Celta but it would be suicide if they put him against PSG. They will slaughter him, he's not that great at defending, you know.

What are you saying??? You'd trust Alba, Adriano, and Alves more at defending than Montoya? He's the most disciplined fullback we have

Y

Youngie

Montoya: "It looks like I will play because some teammates are injured, which is always a shame. But I'll try to do my best. I feel good."

[marca via sport]

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Yeah, journalists love using only one sentence from the whole context in their headlines and the meaning seems very different :)

Galning

Doesn't seem strange to me. He just says he's going to start because some teammates are injured, which is a shame (the fact that they are injured), but that he will do his best :)

oz187

Montoya will be fine at left back. There'll be a loss in attack, but it will give Dani more of a license to go forward.

Havent we got smashed enough on counters by Madrid to stop the obsession with two attacking fullbacks?

2 attacking fullbacks worked pretty well against Milan. Still think we should go with 1 defensive fullback and 1 attacking fullback against certain teams (mainly counter-attacking teams) though, especially against Madrid. Our 2 best games against them were the 3-2 and the 2-2 (I'd say it was a pretty good game, considering we had to use Masch and Adriano at CB and still came close to winning). In the 3-2 game we used Adriano/Alves and we used Alba/Montoya in the 2-2 game. 1 attacking FB + 1 defensive FB.

I can still see the 2 attacking FBs working though. Alba was great defensively against Milan when he hung back, and the team as a whole was also fairly decent defensively (although a bit last-ditch at times), at least when compared to most games this season. Besides that Niang chance and the Robinho chance that Alba saved, I don't remember Milan getting any really good chances.

Stric

2 attacking fullbacks worked pretty well against Milan.

That's because Alba was very disciplined. So it wasn't really 2 attacking fullbacks in that sense. The one which we're witnessing this season.

Two attacking fullbacks could work if the CDM was instructed to pull back and stay right in front of the CBs when the fullbacks are attacking. But there's really no need or point to have them both bomb forward all the time. They just need to be instructed to take turns and keep the situation safe at the back when they're not attacking. I think it's more of an tactics implementation issue than tactics alone.

Kerrybai

Yeah one attacking fullback is more than enough.

His quote makes perfect sense although when he says it's a shame his team mates are injured I bet he is somewhat happy as he gets to play now. I hope he plays great.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Poor in the first half, but turned it up in the second; hope we can see him against PSG. Maybe something like: Alba-Pique-Puyol (?)-Montoya ?

Home of Barca Fans